UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES - Administrative Records
ACADEMIC AFFAIRS, OFFICE OF
Records, 1962–85, 12 ft. (UA–500)
Includes correspondence and reports of the Vice President for Academic Affairs relating to the establishment, accreditation, and review of academic departments and programs; the closing of the Milne School and phasing out of particular academic programs in the 1970s; SUNYA Deans' Lists, 1966–70; and administrative policies about probation, transfer students, and faculty salaries. Documents on international programs, enrollment, construction of Dutch and State Quads, the establishment, accreditation and review of various academic departments, the phasing-out of Milne High School, and policies about probation and about transfer students. The office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs was established in 1962 as a successor to the Office of the Dean, which had previously overseen academic programs.
ACADEMIC PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT, DIVISION OF
Records, 1980–87, 3.0 ft. (UA–040)
Includes correspondence, memoranda, background and administrative planning documents from the subject files of the Office of the Vice President for Academic Planning and Development, 1985–87, relating to its responsibilities for the improvement freshmen education; the Intensive English Language Program; interest in and the need for part-time study for disabled students in the Capital District; the Suburban Scholastic Council High School–College Partnership; and the Five Center Computer proposal. The office maintained a separate series of records on the University Libraries mainly relating to the University's membership in the Research Libraries Information Network (RLIN), 1980–87, and the continual upgrading of automated access to library holdings, 1985–87. Background correspondence files relating to membership in RLIN date from 1980. The Division of Academic Planning and Development was created in 1985 as a result of the reorganization of the Office of Academic Affairs and the Office of Research and Educational Development. Its functions were suspended in the Spring of 1987. Responsibility for the sub-units of the division was divided between the offices of Academic Affairs, Research and Graduate Education, Information Systems and Libraries, and University Affairs.
ACCOUNTING, OFFICE OF
Records, 1967–82, .25 ft. (UA-351)
Includes memoranda on accounting practices, 1970–83, and the Office of Sponsored Funds, 1975–82; Progress Reports on Sponsored Funds, 1967–69; and a chart of accounts, 1971–80.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, OFFICE OF
Records, 1970–86, 10 ft. (UA–370)
Includes correspondence, memoranda, minutes of meetings, surveys, and printed materials relating to the 504 Program History (handicapped access), and the implementation of the Title IX Program. Also included in the record group are the minutes and correspondence of the University Council on Affirmative Action. The Office dates from the establishment of an Affirmative Action Program in 1971 in the Office of Personnel and was originally administered by the Equal Opportunity Coordinator.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, UNIVERSITY COMMISION FOR (UA-010.009)
Records, 1988-1997, 1 cubic ft. (UA-010.009)
The University Commission for Affirmative Action was created in November 1976, and was charged to "advise the President, recommend policy appropriate to Affirmative Action, and assist the Affirmative Action Office in setting appropriate goals and assuring their accomplishment." The collection includes meeting minutes and commission files arranged chronologically.
AFRICAN AND AFRO–AMERICAN STUDIES, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1969–75, 3 ft. (UA–611)
Includes department chair correspondence, 1969–70; departmental meeting minutes, 1970–71, 1973–74; enrollment schedules, 1972–73; annual budgets, 1972–74; proposals; promotional materials; and faculty profiles. Originally called the Department of Afro-American Studies when it was created in 1969, the department adopted its current name in the fall of 1974. The department's mission was to concentrate on "urban affairs and human development" as seen through the life experience of black Americans. (Final Budget Request, 1970–71, p. 51.)
ALBANY COLLEGIATE CENTER
Records, 1933–37, .25 ft. (UA–441)
Includes catalogs and copies of exams. The center was created in 1933 "to provide employment for well qualified individuals and to bring collegiate instruction to worthy high school graduates who could not afford to attend a regularly established college." The director of the Center was Edward J. Farley.
ALLEN COLLEGIATE CENTER
Records, 1972–76, 8 ft. (UA–XXX.034)
The Allen Collegiate Center was an experimental senior year of high school and freshman year of college combined, providing a Bachelor of Arts degree in three years. The center closed in 1976. Selected photographs of faculty and students from the Allen Collegiate Center from the University Archives Photograph Collection are available for viewing online from the University at Albany Libraries' Digital Collections database.
ALUMNI ASSOCIATION RECORDS
Records, 1851-2010, 67.51 cubic ft. (UA–801)
The University at Albany Alumni Association Records document the day-to-day operations and special event planning of the organization. The Alumni Association is a semi-independent, incorporated entity on campus that coordinates alumni outreach and supports the University community through fund-raising and advocacy. The collection includes meeting minutes and agendas, financial records, correspondence, photographs, publications, newspaper clippings, and memorabilia. While the bulk of materials dates from the 1960s through the 1980s, there also are notable 19th and early 20th Century records, including materials from reunions, correspondence, records of the building of the first residence halls, publications, and administrative files.
ANTHROPOLOGY, DEPARTMENT OF
Records,1975–1982, .3 ft. (UA–612)
Includes annual reports, 1975–77; reports of the Field School Program on the archaeology of the Saratoga Battle Field and the Mohawk Valley Project, 1982; proposals for Masters Program, 1968; Three Year Plans for 1976 and 1979. Selected photographs of faculty and students from the Department of Anthropology from the University Archives Photograph Collection are available for viewing online from the University at Albany Libraries' Digital Collections database.
ART, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1954–78, 1 ft. (UA–601)
Includes program proposals, annual reports, 1968–69, 1971–72, 1977–78; departmental meeting minutes, 1972; and photograph albums, Art Gallery exhibition catalogs and flyers, 1954–78. Founded in 1909 as the Department of Fine Arts, the current name was adopted in 1935. The department's mission is to train artists and art historians as well as providing education for students with broad interests in the humanities. Selected photographs of faculty and students from the Department of Art from the University Archives Photograph Collection are available for viewing online from the University at Albany Libraries' Digital Collections database.
ARTS AND SCIENCES, COLLEGE OF
Records, 1965–77, 21 ft. (UA–600)
Includes annual reports, 1968–76; dean's correspondence with divisions and departments; proposals for new courses and changes for existing ones, 1965–67; Arts and Sciences Council, Executive Committee, and Committee Meeting minutes, 1968–76; Chairmen's Meeting minutes, 1972–73; departmental program evaluation reports, and budgets, 1968–77. Created in 1963 as the School of Arts and Sciences to bring together all the programs in the arts and sciences, in 1964 its name was changed to the College of Arts and Sciences. The College was divided into the Divisions of Humanities, Science and Mathematics, and the Social Sciences. The College of Arts and Sciences was dissolved in 1978–79 into the new Colleges of Humanities and Fine Arts, Science and Mathematics, and Social and Behavioral Sciences. The College of Arts and Sciences was officially recreated in October of 1993 after the recommendations made by a Task Force on Campus Organization were accepted by then President H. Patrick Swygert. The Colleges of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Science and Mathematics, and Humanities and Fine Arts, were officially brought together to form the College of Arts and Sciences.
ASIAN STUDIES PROGRAM
Records, 1988, .25 ft. (UA–ua696.001)
Consists of discussion papers. Established in 1980, Asian Studies Program offers an interdisciplinary major allowing students an opportunity to study various facets of Asian societies and cultures (South Asia, Southeast Asia, Southwest Asia/Middle East as well as East Asia).
ASTRONOMY AND SPACE SCIENCES, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1967–76, 4 ft. (UA–621)
Includes memoranda and correspondence of the department chair, 1967–76; program proposals, 1968–76; and minutes of staff meetings, 1973. The Department of Astronomy and Space Sciences was created in 1964 and was dissolved after the academic year 1975–76.
ATHLETICS AND RECREATION, OFFICE OF
Records, 1952–77, 12 ft. (UA–746)
Includes annual reports, 1971–73; budget summaries, 1955–74; director's memoranda and correspondence, 1968–71; minutes, proposals, and annual reports of the Athletic Advisory Board, 1955–74; publications; team programs, rosters and statistics, 1966–76; and photographs and memorabilia.
ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES RESEARCH CENTER
Records, 1959–1984, 5 ft. (UA–450)
Includes annual reports, 1970–83; programs of the center, 1970–84; and publications, 1961–84. A SUNY research center, the Atmospheric Science Research Center was established in 1960 and located on the University at Albany campus. Its mission was to foster basic and applied research related to atmospheric phenomena and their environmental consequences. The Center has concentrated on study cloud physics, atmospheric electricity, solar and alternate sources of energy, air pollution, aerobiology, and Antarctic meteorology.
BENEVOLENT ASSOCIATION OF THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK AT ALBANY
Records, 1937–44, 1963–77, 1 ft. (UA–801.012)
Includes the constitution and bylaws, the treasurers financial reports, 1937–44, 1963–76; Director's annual reports, 1964–77; and materials on scholarships offered by the association, 1964–72. The Benevolent Association was founded as the fund-raising arm of the Alumni Association. It was responsible for raising the funds to build Pierce and Brubacher Halls, the first University dormitories, and numerous other houses for students before the SUNY Construction Fund assumed funding responsibility. For additional information on the construction of Pierce Hall, see the Anna E. Pierce Papers.
BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1936–73, 1983–88, 5 ft. (UA–623)
Includes biology seminar reports, 1936–66; laboratory manuals, 1983–88; proposals for departmental program development, 1967–72; staff meeting minutes, 1965–73.
Records, 1953–61, 8 vols. (UA–XXX.002)
Includes room and board cash receipts kept by the business office of Brubaker Hall. The hall was built as the first men's dormitory in 1941 by the Alumni Association's Benevolent Association.
BUSINESS, SCHOOL OF
Records, 1948–86, 6 ft. (UA–630)
Includes MBA proposals, 1962–69; reports and budgets, 1968–86; and minutes of faculty meetings, 1977–78. The School of Business was created in 1964 as a successor to the former Department of Business Education to provide analytical training for students interested in careers in business and in business education. Selected photographs of faculty and students from the School of Business from the University Archives Photograph Collection are available for viewing online from the University at Albany Libraries' Digital Collections database.
Collection, 1961–88, 130 ft. (UA–950.005)
Correspondence, deeds, appraisal reports, legal depositions, maps, and photographs created by the Bureau of Rights and Ways of the NYS Department of Public Works, NYS Department of Audit and Control, and the NYS Legal Department relating to the purchase of land for the uptown campus of the University at Albany, 1961–72; working architectural drawings of the uptown campus by the New York City firm of Edward Durrell Stone Associates, 1962–70; documentation of the physical construction of the uptown campus, 1962–70; planning documents for proposed uptown campus expansion, 1974; and working architectural drawings of Hawley Library and of the remodeling of the University Libraries, 1936–88. Construction photographs of the uptown campus are found in the University Archives Photograph Collection. A small number of photographs are available online in the University at Albany Libraries' Digital Collections Database. The majority of the images available online document the University at Albany's Uptown Campus in the 1970s and 1980s as well as students from the classes of 1847 through 1980.
Collection, 1968–1972, 1.33 ft. (UA–950.007)
An artificial collection including correspondence, newspaper clippings, and flyers, and printed materials, predominantly from 1969–70, collected to document unrest on the SUNYA campus and at other institutions across the country. The collection was gathered as background information for a 1971 report on campus unrest at the request of the Acting Vice President for Academic Affairs by the University Librarian, Alice Hastings, Fredericks Volkwein, Assistant Dean of Graduate Studies, and Dr. Frederick D. Weinstein of the School of Library Science.
CAPITAL AREA SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION
Records, 1949–1991, 5 cubic ft. (APAP–065)
Records consist of bulletins, publications, reports, and documentation of CASDA's programs and meetings. CASDA is a legally incorporated non–profit educational organization composed of eighty–one affiliated school districts in the NYS Capital District, Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES), and the School of Education at SUNY/Albany. Since 1949, CASDA has served to promote in–service programs for professional and support staff in constituent school districts.
CAPITOL REGION CENTER FOR ARTS IN EDUCATION
CAREER DEVELOPMENT CENTER
Records, 1961–74, .25 ft. (UA–737)
Includes annual reports, 1961–71; and brochures. Included are records produced by predecessor offices including the Placement Bureau.
CAUCUS ON WOMEN'S RIGHTS AT SUNY, ALBANY CHAPTER
Records, 1970–1976, .17 cubic ft. (APAP-098)
The Caucus on Women's Rights at SUNY was organized in Syracuse, New York in June 1970. Includes newsletters, position statements, and other records of the Caucus and the University of Albany chapter. The issues addressed by the Caucus included equal compensation and benefits, affirmative action, parental leave, health and retirement benefits, various student concerns, and part–time employment.
CHEMISTRY, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1958–79, .25 ft. (UA–624)
Includes memoranda, course descriptions, technical reports, syllabi, and proposals. The department was founded in 1909.
CLASSICS, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1938, 1974–86, 1 ft. (UA–602)
Includes course descriptions, memoranda, annual reports, and student papers. It is the successor to the Department of Latin Language and Literature created in 1909. The faculty offers courses in Latin, Greek, or classical archaeology and civilization.
COMMUNITY STUDIES, CENTER FOR
Records, 1825-1976, 14.2 cubic ft. (UA–652.4)
Th collection documents the organization, evolution, scope, thinking, activities, and programs of the Center for Community Studies. The Center was created in 1950 to in part study education in school districts.The earliest items contained in this collection are street maps of Albany, New York which date from 1825 and were part of the Census Classification Project for Albany, but continuous records for the CCS itself start at its inception in 1950 and continue through its discontinuation. There are also some records, mostly memos and letters, that postdate the apparent discontinuation of CCS that continue to 1976. Topics which are documented in this collection include action research projects, extensive course materials, the Three Wishes Project, the development of educational television, the New York State Citizens’ Council, the Poliomyelitis Project of 1956 (Polio Study Project), in-school testing materials, student and faculty questionnaires, student papers, the Study of Opinions on Medicine and Child Health of 1956, the University-Community Cooperation Project, a 1951 survey of the ethnic composition of local school districtsand materials pertaining to workshops given by the Center for Community Studies.
COMPUTER SCIENCE, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1973–1986, cubic ft. (UA–625)
Includes memoranda, 1973; reports, 1983; internal evaluations of the M.S. degree in computer science; and publications.
COMPUTING AND DISABILITY, CENTER FOR
Records, 1988–89, 1 ft.(UA–XXX.003)
Consists of course materials and notes, 1988–89. The Center was formed in 1987 with funding from the Governor's Executive Budget through the efforts of the Governor's Task Force on Technologies and Disabilities. The Center educated students in the use and adaptation of computing hardware and software, as well as through classes for disabled students and future disability professionals.
Records, 1965–82, 12 ft. (UA–540)
Includes correspondence and minutes, 1968–76; budgets, 1971–82; and reports, 1972–1978.
CRIMINAL JUSTICE, SCHOOL OF
Records, 1938–76, 6 ft. (UA–640)
The files of the School of Criminal Justice consist primarily of records kept by Deans Richard Myren 1966-1976, and Donald Newman, 1977-84. They document the organization and formation of the School, particularly during the critical years of development (1963-1969). Topics covered in the correspondence, faculty meeting minutes, Dean’s Reports and planning documents primarily involve curriculum development and faculty recruitment. The correspondence demonstrates the involvement of Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller and the legal community in the formation of the School. The later documents reflect the day to day operations of the School of Criminal Justice, and the eventual absorption of the School into the Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy. This is evidenced through the daily correspondence, student handbooks, and school publications. Also included are the records of the Schools’ Center on Minorities and Criminal Justice, which was established in 1980 and directed by Scott Christiansen.
CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION DEPARTMENT
Records, 1965–74, 2 ft. (UA–652.1)
Includes material on curriculum development and special programs.
CURRICULUM RESEARCH AND SERVICE, CENTER FOR
Records, 1965–68, 1.3 ft. (UA–652.5)
Includes publications on teaching, the special needs of students, and the improvement of college teaching. A unit of the School of Education, the center was established in 1954 to provide laboratory experience for the development and application of curricula for undergraduate and graduate students.
DEANS AND DIRECTORS' MEETINGS
Records, 1967–81, 1.5 ft. (UA–XXX.004)
Contains agendas and minutes, memoranda, background material relating to budget creation, allocations, promotion and tenure procedures, admissions and enrollment statistics presented to the Meeting of Deans or Deans' Meetings, 1967–70; the Deans and Directors' Meetings, 1970–81; the Conference of Academic Deans, 1970–75, subsequently called the Council of Academic Deans, 1975–. Prominent topics of discussion include the University's response to student unrest in the late 1960s; the cancellation of campus programs caused by the contraction of the state budget in the 1970s; and efforts to develop a public policy focus for the University after 1975.
DEVELOPMENT, OFFICE OF
The development department has as its primary function the design and implementation of programs and University-wide processes that lead to the solicitation of private sector institutions (corporations and foundations) and individuals (friends, parents, alumni) for gifts and grants to the University at Albany.
DIEDIER, MAUREEN C., School of Social Welfare 25th Anniversary Oral History Tapes
Collection, 1990–1991, .33 ft. (UA-902.019)
This collection contains video and audio cassette interviews of students, graduates, faculty, administrators and other personnel documenting the history of the School of Social Welfare on the occasion of its 25th anniversary. Professor Maureen Didier conducted all the interviews with the exception of one 1991 video taped interview with current students, conducted by Mary McCarth.
DISABLED STUDENT SERVICES, OFFICE OF
Records, 1970–85, 1.33 ft. (UA–730.8)
Includes grant proposals, 1774, 1977; annual grant progress reports; Coordinator's correspondence, 1976; minutes, 1977; and budgets, 1977–78, leaflets and fliers, 1977–85; and Director's subject files relating to TRIO Project Funding, 1971, 1974–79. The organization was established in 1973 with a grant from the U.S. Department of Education TRIO Programs (Upward Bound, Talent Search, and Special Services for Disadvantaged Students). In 1974, it was officially named the Rehabilitation Service Program, and charged with the responsibility of coordinating special services for the disabled. The Program was renamed the Program for Disabled Student Services in 1981. Currently, the Office of Disabled Student Services (DSS) serves as an advocate for students with mobility and sensory impairments; the learning disabled; those in recovery from alcohol and/or chemical dependency; students with head injuries, chronic, and severe medical conditions such as cancer, diabetes, and asthma; and those with psychiatric histories.
DOWNTOWN CAMPUS COORDINATOR
Records, 1973–76, 4 ft. (UA–XXX.006)
Includes reports and memoranda. The Downtown Campus Coordinator functioned as an assistant to the President overseeing the operations of the old State College campus, including the activities of the Milne School, Child Guidance Center, Study Center for Learning Disabilities, Northeast Speech Center, Center for Inter-American Studies, Center for Economic Education, Center for Economic Development, and other programs.
ECONOMICS, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1971–85, 1 ft. (UA–613)
Includes publications on econometrics and a proposal for a D.A. program in economics.
EDUCATION, SCHOOL OF
Records, 1927-1988, 8.66 cubic ft. (UA–650)
This collection documents the organization, evolution, scope, thinking, activities and programs of the School of Education over a period of about seven decades. Topics which are extensively documented in this collection include adult basic education, Albany Public Schools, Argentine Nationals Program, the Bennington Project, counseling centers, the Doctor of Arts Program, the Doctor of Education Program, educational research training, educational television, education of the disadvantaged, the Experimental College, the Milne School, the National Defense Education Act, the Peace Corps training program in India, the Regional Education Laboratory, special education, summer institutes, Teaching English as a Second Language, the Two-Year College Consortium, and workshops.
EDUCATION OPPORTUNITY CENTER
Records, 1974–82, 2.5 ft. (UA–560)
Includes guidelines for personnel and academic affairs, 1973–74; budgets, 1974–76; correspondence; bulletins; and material on programs designed in conjunction with community groups.
EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS CENTER
Records, 1964–1976, 5 ft. (UA–570)
Includes annual reports, 1971–73; budgets, 1973–74; memoranda; correspondence; project development programs; and other records.
ENGLISH, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1934–1935, 1959–2000, 1 cubic ft. + (UA–603)
Includes a proposal for a D.A. program in English, 1971; course descriptions 1977–2000; bulletins; syllabi; and publications including News About English.
ENGLISH LEARNING & ACHIEVEMENT, NATIONAL RESEARCH CENTER ON (CELA)
Reports, 1988, 1 ft. (UA–680.03)
Includes the Center's published Report Series 1988–95. CELA is dedicated to improving the teaching and learning of English and language arts. CELA's research seeks to learn what elements of curriculum, instruction, and assessment are essential to developing high literacy and how schools can best help students achieve success. The organization provides that information to teachers, schools, and communities so that they can choose the approaches that will work with their students. Founded in 1988 as the National Research Center on Literature Teaching and Learning, the Center's scope and focus was broadened in March 1996, as a result of a grant from the U.S. Department of Education.
ENVIRONMENTAL DECISIONS COMMISSION
Records, 1971–1980, .33 cubic ft. (UA–ua696.002)
The Environmental Decisions Commission of the State University of New York at Albany (as the University at Albany, SUNY was then known) was established in 1971 by President Louis T. Benezet. The commission was charged with developing a policy base for decisions on matters relating to the environmental health and aesthetic quality of the university as well as the campus’ impact on the surrounding community. In the nearly ten years of its existence, the commission dealt with issues such as dredging and stocking the campus pond, traffic control, parking, the use of road salt and pesticides, recycling of paper, composting, and energy conservation.This collection contains the administrative files of the Environmental Decisions Commission including correspondence, meeting minutes, agendas, and reports.
ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES PROGRAM
Records, 1969–1976, 1.33 cubic ft. (UA–ua696.003)
The Environmental Studies Program of the State University of New York at Albany (as the University at Albany, SUNY was then known) was established in 1970 under President Louis T. Benezet. The students, faculty, and administrative committees of the Environmental Studies Program generated the materials in this collection during its five years of existence. Numerous members of the program, most notably Lou Ismay, Eugene McLaren and Rosemary Nichols, collected these materials. The records consist of memoranda, correspondence, meeting minutes, reports, and class materials. Also included are materials generated by offshoots and side projects of the program, like the Capital District Solid Waste Environmental Education Program (CD SWEEP) and the student newsletter, Environmental Issues. The largest of these projects is the Albany People’s Pipewatch.
EQUIPMENT MANAGEMENT, OFFICE OF
Records, 1968–72, 4 ft. (UA–320)
Correspondence and memoranda, 1968–72.
FACILITIES AND PHYSICAL PLANT, OFFICE OF [Asst. VP for Facilities
Management and Physical Plant]
Records, 11 ft. (UA–331)
Includes budget files, 1983–86; and subject files for the office which includes several constituent bodies, including: Real Estate, Physical Plant Department (including Residence Hall Maintenance and Utilities Branch, HVAC), Fiscal Management, Environmental Health and Safety, Facilities Acquisition, Building and Institutional Services, Downtown Campus Operations, Pest Control, and the Vehicle Operations Center.
FACULTY-STUDENT ASSOCIATION (UA-310)
Papers, 1942–1999, 97 cubic ft. (UA–310)
The Faculty-Student Association (FSA) Records document the administrative and financial operations of this non-profit organization which provided ancillary services to the campus community. The majority of records are from the 1960s and 1970s. There is a smaller percentage of files from the 1950s, but none from the organization's founding in 1950. In 1976 the organization changed its name to University Auxiliary Services and there is a small number of materials from 1976 reflecting this transition. The records consist of financial reports, audits, by-laws
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET, OFFICE OF
Records, 1938–64, 1968–90, 4.25 ft. (UA–360)
Includes annual preliminary and final budget requests of the University at Albany and its predecessor institutions. Formerly the Office of the Budget.
FINANCE AND BUSINESS, OFFICE OF
Records, 1914–86, 1.5 ft. (UA–300)
Includes bank deposit books, 1914–57; files on budget allocations, fellowships, and assistantships, 1963–66; memoranda concerning SUNY records management, 1967–70; meeting minutes, 1967–71; office newsletter, 1972–86; planning documents, 1979–83; correspondence; and reports. Formerly the Office of Business Affairs.
FRENCH STUDIES, DEPARTMENT OF
GENERAL STUDIES, COLLEGE OF
Records, 1900–77, 1 ft. (UA–665)
Includes general office files, 1936–74; material from the Center for the Study of Liberal Education for Adults, 1966–68; material from the Cooperative Extension Association, 1968–72; reports and memoranda, 1969–76; bulletins, 1971–77; correspondence, 1975–76.
GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1969–79, .25 ft. (UA–626)
Includes reports, 1969–77; proposal for a doctoral program in geology, 1970; and memoranda, 1978–79.
GERONTOLOGY, INSTITUTE OF
Records, 1977–95, 5.01 cu. ft. (UA–690.015)
Includes Institute of Gerontology records, 1977–81; grants and grant applications, 1978–79; newsletters, 1977–81; conference and seminar materials; training materials, 1973, 1978–95; memos, 1977–82; day files; and workshop videotapes, 1979. Founded in 1968 as the Institute on Aging, part of the College of General Studies. It was renamed the Institute of Gerontology, part of the School of Social Welfare, in 1972. The Ringel Institute of Gerontology was founded in 1982 as a division of the School of Social Welfare that expands knowledge about the process of aging and services for the elderly, facilitates the development of social policies to benefit the elderly, and helps create and improve social institutions to serve the elderly and their families. The Institute is also involved in evaluation of service programs offered by both public and private organizations. Other Institute activities include providing technical assistance about service provision to local communities, co-sponsoring conferences, and facilitating the development of academic curricula on aging.
GOVERNMENT AND POLICY STUDIES, INSTITUTE FOR
Records, 1978–87, 10.33 ft. (UA–XXX.009)
Includes schedules and descriptions of courses, course material, correspondence, and publications. Also includes reports on rural housing, 1978, urban economic development, 1979, and management perceptions of the business climate in New York State. Originally organized as the Center for Governmental Research and Services in 1977, the Center's mission was to identify issues of concern to state and local government officials and legislators and facilitate use of the University's research resources to analyze those issues and problems. In 1980 the Center was reorganized as the Institute for Government and Policy Studies whose mission was overseeing and coordinating the activities of the Center for Women in Government, the Center for Organization and Policy Studies, the Center for Financial Management. The Institute was dissolved in 1988.
HISTORY, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1953–85, 5 ft. (UA–615)
Includes office files of Harry S. Price, 1953–78; correspondence on the department chairmanship, 1967–68; and bulletins, 1982–85. The Department of History offers a Bachelor of Arts degree, a Doctor of Philosophy degree (created in 1965, de-certified in 1975, and re-certified in 1992), a Master of Arts degree, and a Certificate of Advanced Study (C.A.S.). In addition, it participates in several interdepartmental programs, such as Social Studies, Liberal Studies, and Library Science. Selected photographs of faculty and students from the Department of History from the Department of Special Collections and Archives' collections are available for viewing online from the University at Albany Libraries' Digital Collections database.
HUMANISTIC EDUCATION CENTER
Records, 1969–73, 7 ft. (UA–442)
Includes material on the Vocational Education program, 1969–73; proposals, 1971–73; correspondence; reports; publications; memoranda; budgetary documents.
HUMANISTIC STUDIES, INSTITUTE FOR
Records, 1977–81, 4.5 ft. (UA–XXX.010)
Includes directors' correspondence; grant proposals; minutes of conference proceedings including the Helios Conference, Apollo Agonistes Conference, and Asclepius Conference; publications, 1977–81. The Institute was formed in 1977 to provide an umbrella organization to allow "scholar-teachers" to conduct humanistic research with particular emphasis on cross-disciplinary study; for example, the humanities and solar energy, the work and theories of Thomas Szasz, and the philosophical idea of "representation."
INFORMATION SCIENCE AND POLICY, SCHOOL OF
Records, 1926–85, 9 ft. (UA–670)
Includes scrapbook, 1926–36; manuals, 1943–61; course syllabi, 1947–85; memoranda, 1971–72; material on American Library Association accreditation; reports; circulation records; and publications. This record group contains records produced by the School of Information Science and Policy, 1986– , and its predecessors, the School of Library and Information Science and the School of Library Science.
INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH, OFFICE OF
Records, 1965–86, 2 ft. (UA–030)
Includes analyses of faculty workloads, 1957–69; memoranda, 1968–78; profiles of student survey questionnaires, 1972–78; annual reports, 1973–75; academic library statistics, 1976–84; statistical studies of trends in tuition and other student charges; and enrollment goals and projections. The Office of Institutional Research is a major source of official data and statistics about the University. The Office also has been a key developer of campus enrollment and revenue projections, especially concentrating on undergraduate admissions and financial aid databases. The Office also conducts special studies and databased analyses which measure organizational effectiveness and which support campus management.
INTER-AMERICAN STUDIES, CENTER FOR
Records, 1963–76, 2 ft. (UA-XXX.011)
Includes correspondence, program evaluations, photographs, seminar reports, and publications. A division of the College of Arts and Sciences, the Center for Inter-American Studies was created in 1963 to sponsor programs in inter–disciplinary language and area studies relating to Latin America. The center established programs in the Dominican Republic and Costa Rica, and initiated a Master's program in Latin American Studies in 1967. The center was discontinued in 1976/1977.
INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS, OFFICE OF
Records, 1965–79, 20 ft. (UA–550)
Includes correspondence, budgets and financial statements, proposals and brochures for overseas programs and summer language programs, correspondence, and newspaper clippings. Until 1971, this office was called the Office of International Studies and World Affairs.
JAMES E. ALLEN COLLEGIATE CENTER
Records, 1969–76, 4 ft. (UA–441)
Includes annual reports, a memorandum previewing the program; proposals, correspondence, budget reports, and documents dealing with the closing of the center. The Allen Collegiate Center was a program that allowed high school seniors to combine their last year in high school with their freshman year at college.
JUDAIC STUDIES, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1970–1982, .2 cubic ft. (UA–607.5)
The collection includes a proposal for a major in Judaic Studies, department course offerings and descriptions, department annual reports, the Final Report on Hebrew 101A-101B Materials, and a study guide to teaching Hebrew.
Papers, 1942-45, 1969-1980, approx. 3,000 slides (UA–902.067)
Consists primarily of color slides taken by Harry Kolker while he was employed, 1969-80, in the Educational Communication Center of the State University of New York at Albany (SUNYA), now known as the University at Albany, SUNY. The slides are primarily of the buildings and grounds of the SUNYA Uptown Campus, but also contain some photos of the Downtown Campus and Alumni Quadrangle buildings. Prominently featured are photos of the Academic Podium, the Water Tower and Alumni Carillon, Academic Podium water fountains, aerial photos of the Uptown Campus, some construction photos of the campus, photos of the Performing Arts Center, Physics Laboratory, and signage on the Uptown Campus buildings. Also included are a number of slides used by the Educational Communication Center in films produced for the University academic departments. There are also a number of photos of SUNY Cortland, of Albany, N.Y., and of a July 1975 Syracuse University sponsored conference at Sagamore Great Camp at Racket Lake, N.Y. In addition, there are photos of the Jewish Community in Albany and Schenectady, N.Y. Of special interest are 140 slides of Mr. Kolker's service in the Pacific Ocean during World War II including his training as an Air Force radio operator at Scott Field, Illinois; and photos of air force bases in Brisbane, Australia; Amberly Air Force Base, Australia; Nichols Field, Manila, Phillipines; Layete; Biak Nei, Guinea; and Honolulu.
LEGISLATIVE DEVELOPMENT, CENTER FOR
Records, 1966–2000, 73 cubic ft. (UA–680.1)
The Center for Legislative Development is the successor to the Comparative Development Studies Center. Dr. James Heaphey served as director of the Center for Legislative Development from its founding until 1978 when he was succeeded by Aldo Baakalini who served as Director until his death in 2003. The Centers primary function, under both names, has been and is to assist in the development of legislative effectiveness around the world by studying and accessing legislative needs for resources and information, and formulating plans to acquire those resources so that legislatures can negotiate agreements with their executives. Contained in the Centers records are program proposals, records of site visits, correspondence, contracts, and reports. In the early 1970s the Center was interested in the problems of legislative security in the United States. Of interest might be extensive documentation, including tapes, of the Legislatures and Human Rights Conference in Dublin, Ireland in 1976. In the 1990s the Center assisted the former Soviet satellite of Hungary in developing legislative institutions, but was largely unsuccessful in attempting to assist the Central Asian Republics in their transition. The Center was fund for a Rule of Law Project in Kazakhstan but internal problems in the country prevent the carrying out of the project. The records also contain proposals for an unfunded Mongolian Rural Civil Society Program, one of whose aims was to enhance the status of women in rural society. The Center had active programs of legislative development in Korea, Kuwait, and Yemen. There are 2.5 cubic ft. of records regarding the Committee on Viable Constitutionalism (COVICO), 1993-1999. In East Africa the Center had a program in Ethiopia in the mid 1970s, in West Africa the Center has had long term programs in Ghana, 1969-1981, in Guinea-Bissau, 1992-1997, and in North Africa, Egypt, 1970s, 1994-98. In the Eastern Mediterranean the Center has had programs in Lebanon. The Center has had a long term presence in South and Central America and the Caribbean from the 1960s through the 1990s. Found in the records are materials relating to the Centers assistance to the following countries to develop their legislative branches: Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela.
MATHEMATICS, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1963–78, 4.5 ft. (UA–627)
Includes correspondence and memoranda, 1951, 1963–79; material from the curriculum committee, 1966–67; minutes, 1966–73; lists of curriculum changes, 1967–74; annual reports, 1969–78; copies of exams, 1969–78; student assessments of courses and teachers, 1969–75; colloquia announcements, 1969–77; files on faculty members, including correspondence, publications, resumes, and papers, 1974–76; and syllabi, 1975–78.
Records, 1890–77, 35.24 cubic ft. (UA–659)
Includes student publications, 1905–77; reports, 1907–69; school library records, 1929–77; and records on the closing of this elementary school, 1972–76.
MINORITIES AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE, CENTER ON
Records, 1977–82, 1.33 cubic ft. (UA–359)
Includes staff meeting minutes, 1977–78; correspondence, 1977–81; memoranda, 1977–81; grant proposals, 1977–81; budgets, 1978–81; and published bibliographies and studies on minorities and the criminal justice system, 1979–81. Part of the School of Criminal Justice, the Center was founded in 1980 as a continuation of the Training Program in Criminal Justice Education, which had begun in 1977. The Center's goals were to administer the Minority Fellowship Program and conduct research relating to minorities and criminal justice. Dependent on outside funding, the center closed around 1982 or 1983 when its grant was not renewed. The records of the Center are described as part of the School of Criminal Justice's finding aid.
NATIONAL YOUTH ADMINISTRATION
Record Book, 1941–43, 1 vol. (UA–XXX.012)
Student payroll book.
NELSON A. ROCKEFELLER COLLEGE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS AND POLICY
Records, 1982–87, 1.25 ft. (UA–660)
Includes training material, course outlines, and syllabi.
NELSON A. ROCKEFELLER COLLEGE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS AND POLICY, ASSISTANT TO THE PROVOST
Records, 1980–2004, 2.4 cubic ft. (UA–640) This collection consists of the administrative records of the Assistant to the Provost of Rockefeller College created or collected by Jerry Parker. The bulk of the records are budget reports, correspondence, meeting notes, and photographs and newspaper clippings related to college events. During processing, the archivist retained the original folder titles assigned by the records’ creator with the following exceptions: “Creation of Rockefeller College-administration and structure” was originally two separate folders named “Organization and History of Rockefeller College” and “Rockefeller College Memorabilia.” As the contents of the folders were similar (administrative correspondence from the early years of Rockefeller College) they were combined and given a new title that was more indicative of the contents. In Series Two, “Provost’s Office Inventory Account 83001” was renamed “Rockefeller College Art Collection Inventory” for clarification purposes.
NURSING, SCHOOL OF
Records, 1967–79, 16 ft. (UA–629)
Includes annual reports, 1967–79; minutes, 1969–78; admission materials, 1970–75; course descriptions, syllabi and assignments, 1970–79; a history of the school, 1975; workshop materials, 1975–79; and newspaper clippings and other material about the closing of the school, 1976–79. The School of Nursing opened in 1967 and closed in 1979.
PARENT RELATIONS, OFFICE OF
Records, 1982-1989, 1 cubic ft. (UA-XXX.XXX)
The records of the Office of Parent Relations consist primarily of program descriptions and proposals, photographs, newsletters, meeting programs, list of members and meeting attendees of the Parents Association of the University at Albany, SUNY. Also included is one folder of correspondence with parents concerning the Office's responsibility to act as liaison between the University and the parents of undergraduates. The newsletters are an excellent source of information about Parents Program (the predecessor to the Office of Parent Relations), and about the goal and programs of the Parents Association.
PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
Records, 1973–80, 3 ft. (UA–600.1)
Includes budgets and publications.
PHILOSOPHY, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1975–87, .25 ft. (UA–607)
Includes bulletins, 1975–84; course descriptions, 1986–87; and memoranda.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION, ATHLETICS, AND RECREATION, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1950–77, 7.9 ft. (UA–654)
Included in the departmental records are administrative papers including correspondence, bulletins, memoranda, minutes, paper clippings, photos, and reports, 1950–78; papers of the Athletic Advisory Board, including budgets, minutes, correspondence, reports, and memoranda, 1952, 1955–77; files called "Men's Sports" containing correspondence, memoranda, sports information, sports schedules, publicity forms, and sports statistics books, 1954–79; papers of Women's Intercollegiate Athletics, including annual reports, budget requests, team score books, seasonal sports' schedules, team rosters, and publications dealing with sports, 1966–79; and sports publications and booklets, 1960–79, 1985–86.
PHYSICS, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1915–71, 2 ft. (UA–628)
Includes inventories, 1915–65; publications; and reports.
Records, 1969–78, 3 ft. (UA–020)
Includes management and planning documents, 1969–78; data on admissions and enrollment, 1972–78; correspondence and memoranda, 1977–78; and proposals, 1977–78.
POLITICAL SCIENCE, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1974–76, 1985, 1 ft. (UA–684)
Includes course descriptions, correspondence, and planning documents.
PRESIDENT, OFFICE OF THE
Records, 1916–95, 115 ft. (UA–000)
Includes convocation material, 1879, 1922, 1934, 1948–75; minutes of meetings of the trustees, 1921–22, 1926; subject files, 1956–78; and reports by presidential committees and task forces, 1973–77. The presidents whose official papers are held include Abram R. Brubacher, 1915–39; John M. Sayles, 1939–47; Milton G. Nelson (acting), 1947–49; Evan R. Collins, 1949–69; Allan A. Kuusisto (acting), 1969–70; Louis T. Benezet, 1970–75; Emmet B. Fields, 1975–77; and Vincent O'Leary, 1977–90; H. Patrick Swygert, 1990–95.
PRESIDENT'S TASK FORCE ON WOMEN'S SAFETY
Records, 1986–1998, 1 cubic ft. (UA–010.010)
The Task Force On Women's Safety was conceived in November 1979 in response to a series of assaults against women in Pine Hills, an Albany neighborhood where many students reside. Subsequently, it was renamed "The President's Task Force on Women's Safety," and President Vincent O'Leary formalized it as an ad hoc committee in 1980. The Task Force sought to "insure that the University at Albany is an environment in which all women can study and work safely" by setting directions for existing and proposed programs, reviewing efficacy of existing and proposed programs, and recommending policies to the President. The records are arranged chronologically and include newspaper clippings, pamphlets, annual reports, safety surveys, newsletters, memos, and minutes.
Printing Artifacts, 1943–75, 1 ft. (UA–XXX.013)
Contains halftone printing blocks depicting University buildings, faculty, and alumni created for the publication of the Alumni Quarterly.
PUBLIC AFFAIRS, GRADUATE SCHOOL OF
Records, 1946-1989, 18.66 cubic ft. (UA–680)
The collection contains annual reports, dean's office correspondence, budget documents, evaluation reports, plans, publications, student research essays, training program manuals, workshop materials, meeting minutes, course descriptions and reading lists. The majority of records originate from the Dean's office subject files. The two major exceptions are the records originating from Hannah Applebaum, the school's librarian from approximately 1963-1971, and the Organization and Methods program (1946-60) records of Murray Nathan, the Director of the Office of Planning and Procedures in the New York State Department of Health.
PUBLIC SAFETY, OFFICE OF
Records, 1966–77, 1 ft. (UA–380)
Includes a statement of policies and procedures, 1966; and logs of incidents, 1968–77.
PURCHASING AND ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES
Records, 1929–31, 2 vols. (UA–335)
Inventory of purchases.
RECORDS AND REGISTRATION, OFFICE OF
Records, 1845– , 38 ft. (UA–530)
Includes circulars, bulletins, and schedules describing course offerings, 1845– ; and student transcripts for graduates of the University, its predecessor institutions, and the Milne School, 1890–1970. See Office of the President for pre–1890 grade books.
RESEARCH, OFFICE OF
Records, 1967–86, .5 ft. (UA–430)
Includes office files, 1967–81; and publications, 1982–86.
RESIDENTIAL LIFE, OFFICE OF
Records, 1965–87, 5 ft. (UA–743)
Includes memoranda and correspondence, 1960, 1968–76; reports; and annual reports, 1965–69; newsletters, 1968, 1975–76; and policy statements, 1968–85.
ROCKEFELLER COLLEGE PUBLIC SERVICE TRAINING PROGRAM
Catalogs, 1984–97, .66 ft. (UA–660.2)
Includes Program course descriptions and catalogs, 1984–92; and workshop catalogs, 1994–97. The Program is administered by the Nelson A. Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy on behalf of higher education institutions in New York under contract with the New York State Governor's Office of Employee Relations, and the New York State Public Employees' Federation, AFL–CIO.
RUSSIAN AND EAST EUROPEAN STUDIES, PROGRAM IN
The current interdisciplinary program of Russian and East European Studies was created in 1975 in the College of Social and Behavorial Sciences. Despite its recent formation, some of the program's courses have been offered since the 1950's and 1960's including "Elementary Russian" (since 1959), and the "History of Russia" (from 1966).
Records, 1963–74, .25 ft. (UA–803)
Includes photographs, publicity material, correspondence, budgets, and reports on regattas.
SCIENCE AND SOCIETY, CENTER FOR THE STUDY OF
Records, 1967–71, 2 ft. (UA–440.013)
Includes memoranda, budgets, and other materials. In its planning stage called the Center for Science and Human Affairs, the Center for the Study of Science and Society was established in 1968. The goal of the center was to "open communications between scientists, technologists, economists, sociologists and political scientists particularly in their formative age" in order to study how society can control its evolution by using the "data, structure and processes and findings of science" with particular emphasis placed on the on the study of "human ecology" or "cultural evolution" (Final Budget Request, 1968–69). The center accomplished this goal by sponsoring conferences, seminars, and symposia including 1969 conferences "The Scientific Revolution--Its Impact on Man and Society" and "Weather Modification." The center was directed by Eugene I. Rabinowitch from 1968 until its dissolution in 1971.
SOCIAL WELFARE, SCHOOL OF (UA-690)
Records, 1964–2000, 20.4 cubic ft. (UA–690)
The collection spans from the School's first full year of operation in 1964 to 2000. Early records relating to the founding of the School include annual reports, accreditation reports and internal self-studies, proposals for the bachelor's, master's, and the Ph. D. programs, faculty meeting minutes, and various School of Social Welfare bulletins. The bulk of the collection documents the day-to-day operations of the School from 1990-2000, during Lynn Videcka-Sherman's tenure as dean as well as publications from the Resource Guide Series produced by the Continuing Education Program.
SOCIOLOGY, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1966–77, 1 ft. (UA–618)
Includes reports, 1971–77; proposals, 1977; and budgets.
SPEECH PATHOLOGY AND AUDIOLOGY, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1977–79, 1 ft. (UA–656)
Includes budgets, memoranda, and the plan for closing the department.
STATE UNIVERSITY CONSTRUCTION FUND
Records, 1961–1979, .88 cubic ft. (APAP–097)
The State University Construction Fund was established by the Governor and the Legislature of New York as a public benefit corporation within the State University to plan, design, construct and provide financing for facilities required by the State University of New York to meet academic program and enrollment needs. As a result of the creation of the fund and in response to an urgent need to make higher education opportunities available to additional thousands of New Yorkers, the largest university building program in history was launched in New York State. The collection contains campus plans for the State University of New York (SUNY) System construction in the 1960s and 1970s. Progress reports and charts in each report include the dates that architects, sketches and locations for construction were approved. The charts also provide the dates construction began for each campus in the SUNY System. The collection includes annual reports from 1964 through 1979. These provide the budget for construction and the yearly progress for each facility. The annual report for the year 1972 celebrates the first ten years of the State University Construction Fund and includes helpful retrospective information. A review of the capital program for all state universities from 1975 to 1976 and 1976 to 1977 is included in the collection and reviews of the Albany campus are available from 1971 through 1975.
STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK, BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Records, 1958-1984, 6.4 cubic ft. (APAP-098)
An artificial collection of official records of the State University of New York, a 64–campus statewide system of higher education established under Gov. Thomas E. Dewey in 1948 with Central Administration headquarters in Albany, New York. Includes system–wide planning documents, reports, and other official publications (principally, News), 1958–1984; selected Board of Trustees minutes, 1950–70, and policies, 1954–90, and also board member correspondence files kept by the Student Association of the State University of New York (SASU), 1971–81.
STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK, UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
Collection, 1944–ongoing, 6.0 cubic ft. (APAP–093)
The University Faculty Senate, State University of New York collection is an artificial collection assembled from the records held by University at Albany, SUNY representatives to the University Faculty Senate. The bulk of the collection is taken from the office of Professor Joseph L. Norton, covering the years 1968-1974, and Dr. Robert B. Morris for the years 1964-1971. This collection documents the activities of the University Faculty Senate and the University at Albany Senators from the first Senate Meeting in 1953 through the 2001 session. Contained in these records are reports; minutes; by-laws; correspondence; published material such as newsletters; directories; overviews, and; handbooks. This collection documents an expanding university challenged by social change and innovations in education and the work of faculty, in Senate assembled, to meet those challenges. Academic freedom, race and gender issues, student activism, and the need to develop programs to meet the educational needs of an evolving society are well documented in the meeting minutes, reports, committee material and correspondence of the University Faculty Senate.
STUDENT AFFAIRS OFFICE
Records, 1971–78, .25 ft. (UA–730)
Notices of events.
STUDENT ACCOUNT OFFICE
Records, 1966–86, .5 ft. (UA–355)
Includes organizational charts, 1966–68; handbooks, 1967, 1976, 1982; memoranda; and correspondence. The Division of Student Affairs plans, implements, and manages many student services and educational programs that enhance the academic program of the University. In addition to those functions operating from the Office of the Vice President, there are eight major program areas: Financial Aid; Residential Life; Career Development, University Health Center; University Counseling Center; Student Life; University Police; and Athletics and Recreation.
TASK FORCE FOR LONG RANGE PLANNING
Records, 1972–74, 1 ft. (UA–010.001)
Reports and memoranda from the commission established to determine the growth of SUNYA until the mid-1980s.
TEACHER EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT SERVICE
Records, 1971–77, 4 cubic ft., 4 audiotapes, 4 filmstrips (UA–658)
This collection documents the organization, evolution, scope, thinking, research, activities, and programs of the Teacher Education Development Service. Of particular interest in this collection are four audiotapes and four filmstrips, which provide an audiovisual overview of CBTE. Topics which are extensively documented in this collection include: the certification program of speech, language and hearing specialists; conferences; Community Legal Education Project; course materials; dissertation abstracts; a doctoral dissertation; the Mutual Involvement Review Activity; Skidmore College Proposal; Teacher Education Certification Consortium; team leader evaluation of interns; Teacher Corps Programs; and the Youth Tutoring Youth program.
THEATRE, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1948–78, 1984, 7.167 cubic ft. (UA–609)
Includes newspaper clippings, 1952–66; memoranda and correspondence, 1953–77; playbills and other memorabilia, 1955–77; budgets, 1962–72; account books, 1964–69; press releases, 1964–72; descriptions of courses, 1965–69; programs, 1965–77; photographs, 1967; minutes, 1967–77; bulletins, 1969–77; reports, 1971–76; bylaws, 1974–75; and publications.
TREASURER, OFFICE OF THE
Records, 1920–53, 10 ft. (UA–XXX.019)
Includes correspondence, 1929–49; financial documents, 1933–48; budget materials, 1934–46; and annual reports, 1934–46.
TWO-YEAR COLLEGE DEVELOPMENT CENTER
Records, 1969–76, 1 ft. (UA–651.2)
UNIVERSITY ADVANCEMENT, OFFICE OF
Records, 1972–88, 2.5 ft. (UA–XXX.020)
Includes illustrative boards and diagrams for funding of a proposed University Sports Complex; Alumni House proposals, planning, and contracts. The mission of the Division of University Advancement is to direct and coordinate those programs concerned with enhancing relationships between the University and selected external and internal publics in support of the institution's mission and priorities. In working collaboratively with the campus community, the Division seeks to achieve heightened levels of external and internal communications, public relations, development and alumni relations activities appropriate to the University at Albany as a major public research institution. Also provides overall coordination and direction to three campus–related organizations: The University at Albany Foundation, and Alumni Association and the Benevolent Association.
UNIVERSITY ART MUSEUM
RECORDS, 1967–93. 3.33 cubic ft. (UA–601.5)
Exhibit Publications, 1967–1993 contains exhibit leaflets, flyers, catalogs, and programs from 1967 to 1993. All exhibits held by the University Art Gallery and subsequently Art Museum are listed. The items are arranged chronologically by exhibition. There are clippings from 1965-1992.
Records, 1964–72, .5 ft. (UA–314)
Board minutes, 1968–70; accounts, 1964–66; and memorabilia, 1966–72.
Records, 1964–86, 10 ft. (UA–520)
Includes bulletins, 1966–77; policy and procedural documents, 1966–86; budgets, 1967–68; memoranda, 1969–74; correspondence, 1969–74; annual reports; and documents on grade inflation and grading policy, 1970–76.
Records, 1844–1939, 1965–1985, 1992-1995, 2.5 cubic ft. (UA–100)
Includes meeting minutes and supporting documentation of the Executive Committee of the New York State Normal School, 1844–90; the Board of Trustees 1890–1928; and Board of Visitors, 1928–39, of the New York State College for Teachers; and minutes, correspondence, reports, and publications of the University Council, 1965–85. The power of the original Executive Committee, Board of Trustees, Board of Visitors extended to the hiring and firing of all employees, perscribing the curriculum including the texts used in courses. These bodies reported jointly to the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York and the Superintendent of Eucation, the later individual serving as Chairman of successive bodies. The powers of the University Council, created by the SUNY Board of Trustees in 1954, are far more restricted, being limited to nominating presidents, naming buildings, and reviewing and approving major policy changes and initiatives. The University at Albany Libraries' Digital Collections database provides full-text access to the Annual Reports of the New York State Normal School Executive Committee for the years 1844-1870.
Records, 1915–1937, 1949–1999, 1.3 cubic ft. (UA–150)
Since the University Faculty has delegated most of its powers, the records it has created are not extensive. All that were created are minutes (and agendas for the later years). The minutes of the meetings contain synopses of reports presented by councils and committees of the University Senate and by the President of the University. Minutes from 1915 to 1937 are bound with the Minutes of the Faculty Council (200/01/01), which are a part of the records of the University Senate.
UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES, OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR
Records, 1916–1993, 37.5 cubic ft. (UA–580)
Consisting mainly of the records of the Office of the Director, records of the Library's divisions and departments, and the University Library' Faculty. Includes accession and withdrawal records, 1929–57; book circulation records, 1929–60; correspondence, reports and minutes of bibliographers' meetings, 1966–79; and bound volumes of the University Libraries newsletter, 1972–76; announcements, schedules of events, memoranda, newspaper clippings, and brochures relating to Community University Day, 1972–83; memoranda and pamphlets about access policy, 1979–83; and annual reports, 1979–87.
UNIVERSITY RELATIONS, OFFICE OF
Records, 1960–84, 17 ft. (UA–760)
Includes clippings of news about SUNYA in the area press, 1960–80; logs, 1971–77; news releases; budget notes; publications; and negative film strips, with index. Consists mainly of the records of its predecessor, the Community Relations Office, 1960–80.
Records, 1915–37, 1944–89, 21 ft. (UA–200)
Includes agenda, minutes, correspondence, and legislative bills of the University Senate, 1969–85, and its predecessor bodies: Faculty Council, 1915–37, 1944–66; Faculty–Administration Council, 1944–52; Academic Council, 1952–63; Faculty Senate, 1966–69, and of the councils and committees of those bodies. The University Senate serves as the "principal policy–forming body of the University."
VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT, OFFICE OF THE
Records, 1980v87, 3 ft. (UA–040)
Includes correspondence, memoranda, and reports relating to academic planning and development for the University; the Center for Research and Development; the Study Committee on the First Year Experience and the subsequent implementation of the Freshman Experience and Freshman Seminar Program; and the development of the Handicapped Education Project, the High School Partnership Project, the Intensive English Language Program, the Professional Development/Quality of Work Life Program; the creation of a "Five Year Center" for SUNY; and plans for development of the University Libraries, including the decision to join the Research Libraries Group. The office was created in 1985 and its functions dispersed in 1987.
VICE PRESIDENT FOR RESEARCH & DEAN OF GRADUATE STUDIES,
Records, 1976–96, 30 ft. (UA–400.01)
Includes subject administrative files relating to other university departments, 1980–87; records of research centers and institutes, 1980–89; council and committee files, 1981–90; faculty files, 1985–90; UUP records, 1985–88; departmental files, 1980–90; correspondence, 1993–96; and Office for Research records, 1992–95. The position was created in 1966 and eliminated when the divisions of Research and Graduates Studies were divided in the 1990s.
VICE PRESIDENT FOR STUDENT AFFAIRS, OFFICE OF
Records, 14 ft. (UA–XXX.021)
The Vice President for Student Affairs has responsibility for supervising the administration and planning functions of all of the departments in the Division of Student Affairs.
VICE PRESIDENT FOR UNIVERSITY AFFAIRS, OFFICE OF THE
Records, 1969–78, 9 ft. (UA–700)
Includes memoranda, 1971–74; correspondence, 1971–77; committee minutes and materials, 1969–77; miscellaneous community service materials, 1974–77; printing requests, 1969–77; negotiation materials, 1971–77, administrative forms and brocures, 1969–77; and planning documents.
WOMEN IN GOVERNMENT, CENTER FOR
Records, 1978–88, 50 ft. (UA–685)
Minutes and correspondence of board of directors, 1978–85; correspondence of director, 1978–85; publications, 1978–88; documentation of educational programs, 1978–86; and documentation and supporting materials for studies: (1) "Barriers to Promotion through Managerial Examination in New York State," 1985; microfilm of "New York State Comparable Pay Study" questionnaires and printouts, 1986. A division of the School of Social Welfare, the center was established in 1978 to identify and alleviate structural barriers to women in New York State government. The mission of the center was expanded in the 1980s to include consulting with New York City, other state governments, and the Canadian Government.
WOMEN'S STUDIES, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1972– , .3 ft. (UA–600.5)
Includes memoranda, descriptions of courses, bulletins, course proposals, announcements, and planning documents and minutes of the Women's Studies Advisory Committee, 1976–79.
WOMEN'S STUDIES ORAL HISTORY PROJECT
Recordings and Transcipts, 1997, .165 ft. (UA–600.5.1)
Consists of cassette recordings and transcriptions of interviews documenting the creation of the Women's Studies Program at the then State University of New York at Albany in the 1970's. The interviews were conducted, with one exception, by Judith Hudson, a retired University Libraries bibliographer for Women's Studies.