Skip to main content

Albany, New York


University Archives Collections

UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY ARCHIVES
The University at Albany Archives was established in 1971 to document the history of the University at Albany, SUNY from its origin in 1844 as the New York State Normal School to train teachers for New York State to its present status as a comprehensive research university. Administered as an integral part of the M.E. Granander Department of Special Collections and Archives, the University Archives are available to patrons for research and study. The University Archives consists of the Official Records of the University at Albany and its predecessor institutions from its origins in 1844 to the present. Includes presidential papers, trustees and senate minutes, theses and dissertations, photographs, building plans, student and alumini records, publications, and other documentation. Also includes records of the Milne School, the University Teaching School from 1845–1977. A brief description and many finding aids are available for most of the University Archive's collections.

Other Manuscript and Archival Collections

ACT UP, ALBANY (N.Y.) CHAPTER
Records, 1983–1992 (APAP–106)
The collection documents the activities of ACT UP, Albany (N.Y.) Chapter, and other chapters from its creation in 1987 to 1992. In March 1987, ACT UP, AIDS Coalition To Unleash Power, was formed in New York City by a group of people as a diverse, nonpartisan organization of individuals united in anger and committed to ending the AIDS crisis. ACT UP is a national and international nonpartisan activist group whose mission is to fight for "an end to the AIDS crisis." The collection consists of administrative files such as handbooks for activists, activism in various chapters, the AIDS Curriculum Lesson for the City of Albany, AIDS education and preventive guides and programs, correspondence, minutes, and papers of the Health Systems Agency of Northeastern New York, Inc., from 1990 to 1991. It also includes several legal documents related to human rights, penal law, and public health law, and meeting notes. The strengths of this collection are the posters, fliers, and other activism material from ACT UP chapters.

AFFORDABLE HOUSING PARTNERSHIP AND CAPITAL AFFORDABLE HOUSING FUNDING CORPORATION
Records, 1983–2001, 1.7 cubic ft. (APAP–109)

The records of the Affordable Housing Partnership (AHP) and its affiliated financial branch, the Capital Affordable Housing Funding Corporation (CAHFC) document the founding of the AHP and CAHFC and their activities as providers of affordable loans for low to middle income families and business owners from their creation in 1986 to 2001. The bulk of the records of the AHP and CAHFC is made up of a group of alphabetically organized subject files comprised of topics important to this organization. Most of these files concern the United Tenants of Albany's bank protests that cover the years from 1984–1995. These documents discuss the prejudicial loan practices of Chase/Chemical Bank, Fleet Bank, Key Bank and NORSTAR Bank and the United Tenants of Albany's attempts to amend the Community Reinvestment Act responsible for regulating the loan practices of banks. They are especially important as they mark the conditions that necessitated such organizations. Along with these files, the AHP and CAHFC collection also include administrative records, financial records and loan policies.

ALBANY, NEW YORK, GENERAL STORE
Account Book, 1784–86, 1 vol. (MSS–036)
Business records kept by the unidentified proprietor of a general store, probably located in Albany, which sold dry goods, rum, and other merchandise to customers from Albany to Schaghticoke (north of the Troy, New York), and westward to Stone Arabia and other Mohawk Valley settlements. The volume also includes day book entries from Oneida, New York, 1877–78, and notes on English grammar and physical geography taken by a student at the Oswego Normal School, 1878.

ALBANY, NEW YORK, JEWISH COMMUNITY
Collection, 1905–62, 1.1 ft. (MSS-037)
 Includes minutes of Congregation Beth El Jacob, 1956–61; records of the United Brethren Society, 1939–60; and miscellaneous documents, printed materials, and photographs, 1930–60.

ALBANY ALLIED PRINTING TRADES COUNCIL
Records, 1908–1990, .33 cubic ft. (APAP–075)
The Albany Allied Printing Trades Council collection contains meeting minutes from 1908–1915 and 1930–1988. Council by–laws are available from 1910, 1967, and 1990. The Council's correspondence is sporadic from 1959 through 1985. The collection also includes the Council's union label slug. The Council is an organization of local unions involved in all aspects of the printing trade in Albany, New York. The composition of the council included those local unions whose members were printers, bookbinders, stereotypers, electrotypers, photoengravers, and mailers.

ALBANY CENTRAL FEDERATION OF LABOR
Records, 1965-2000, 3.8 cubic ft. (APAP-143)
The Albany Central Federation of Labor was organized on June 8, 1888 by workers in the Capital District. The Albany Central Federation of Labor is a local labor council through which the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO) organizes to build and strengthen the national union movement. The collection documents the activities of the Albany Central Federation of Labor (AFL CIO) from 1965 to 2000 the period when Josephine Sano was president. Included in the collection are administrative files such as minutes, constitution, and financial statements. The numerous publications as well as the correspondence between Josephine Sano and other labor councils are a strong point of the collection.

ALBANY COUNTY CIVIC CENTER
Collection, 1984–88, .75 cubic ft. (APAP–004)
Reports and other records pertaining to the environmental impact of the construction of the Albany County Civic Center (the Knickerbocker Arena, now the Pepsi Arena), a multi–purpose sports, entertainment, and convention center that opened in downtown Albany, New York in 1989.

ALBANY FRIENDS MEETING
Papers, 1970s-1980s, 1 cubic ft. (APAP–166)

This collection includes material related to the Albany Friends Meeting's social justice activities, in particular the work of committees in opposition to the Vietnam War.

ALBANY PRINTING PRESSMEN, ASSISTANTS, AND OFFSET WORKERS UNION, NO. 23–C
Records, 1951–89, 1 microfilm reel (APAP–006)
Contains constitutions and by–laws, 1954, 1968; and minutes, 1951–89. In 1886 pressmen who belonged to the Albany Typographical Union No. 4, formed a printing pressmen's local affiliated with the International Typographical Union. By 1890, the union had reorganized as the Albany Printing Pressmen's Union, No. 23, affiliated with the International Printing Pressmen's Union of North America. In 1896 Local 23 added "Assistants'" to its title when the international became the International Printing Pressmen and Assistants' Union of North America (IPPAU). In 1973 the IPPAU merged with the International Stereotypers', Electrotypers', and Platemakers' Union of North America (ISE&PU) to form the International Printing and Graphic Communications Union (IPGCU). With merger of the IPGCU and the Graphic Arts International Union (GAIU) in 1983, the union became Local 23–C of the Graphic Communications International Union (GCIU). The union represents employees involved with commercial and newspaper presswork in the Capital District.

ALBANY TYPOGRAPHICAL UNION, NO. 4
Records, 1850–1988, 28 microfilm reels (APAP–007)
Includes minutes, 1850–1955, 1874–1988; contracts, 1893–1972; constitutions, 1850–1955; membership records, 1907–88; the Albany Citizen, a strike newspaper, 1928–29; and photographs and memorabilia, 1872–1950. Founded in 1850 as the Printers' Union of the City of Albany, the union's name was changed four years later to the Albany Typographical Union, when it affiliated with the National Typographical Union (later the International Typographical Union, which in 1986 merged with the Communication Workers of America). The Albany Typographical Union is the oldest union in the New York State Capital District and represents compositors in the newspaper and commercial printing trades.

AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF UNIVERSITY PROFESSORS, ALBANY, N.Y. CHAPTER
Records, 1944–74, .75 cubic ft. (APAP–001)
Minutes of meetings, 1944–59; president's files, 1944–60; membership records, 1956–59; subject files (academic freedom, compensation, statewide activities, and other matters), 1944–69; and printed materials, 1946–74, of the Albany, N.Y. Chapter of the educational group, American Association of University Professors (AAUP). The AAUP was instrumental in establishing the Faculty–Administrative Council, an important predecessor of the University Senate. Over the years, AAUP has been a defender of academic freedom.

AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF UNIVERSITY WOMEN, ALBANY, N.Y. BRANCH
Records, 1921–92, 5.9 cubic ft. (APAP–002)
Contains minutes of Executive Board, 1938–65, 1984–91; minutes of general meetings, 1926–64, 1986–90; President's file, 1921–92 (bulk dates 1956–62, 1981–92); annual reports, 1940–65; committee files, 1937–90; correspondence, 1936–65; Bulletins, 1941–90; Yearbooks, 1913–91; and scrapbooks and ephemera, 1936–72. The Albany Branch of AAUW merged in 1881 as an affiliate of Association of Collegiate Alumnae (ACA), and in 1890 became the Eastern Branch of ACA (under the direction of Melville Dewey, Secretary of the State University of New York, and Director of the State Library, but there are no records in the collection documenting Melville Dewey's involvement with the Albany Branch).  Ultimately in 1921 it became the Albany Branch of AAUW. The Records document early work of the Eastern New York Branch of ACA in trade unions, child labor, war orphans, eugenics, and women's suffrage. By 1963, the AAUW, which still seeks to unify women alumnae of colleges and universities for practical educational work, turned its attentions toward community problems, cultural interests, education, world problems such as the economic and social effects of war, and political action, where its focuses remain today.

AMERICAN MARKETING ASSOCIATION, CAPITAL DISTRICT CHAPTER
Papers, 1 cubic ft. (APAP–207)

The American Marketing Association, Capital District Chapter works for the advancement of business and management in the region. The collection includes publications concerning programs sponsored by the organization as well as administrative records. Also included are descriptions and handouts from businesses in the Capital District.

AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION, EMPIRE STATE CAPITAL AREA CHAPTER
Records, 1955–89, 8 ft. (APAP–009)
Correspondence, minutes of meetings, and other records kept for the presidents, secretaries, and committee chairpersons of the American Society of Public Administrators (ASPA), Empire State Capital Area Chapter, founded in Albany, N.Y. in 1945 and the only state chapter of this national organization based in Washington, D.C. The chapter has been instrumental in improving the administration of state government and has had an interest in creating the predecessor of the University at Albany's School of Public Administration in 1947, in training future state administrators in the 1950s, and in such issues as ethics in government and racial and sex discrimination in the 1970s and 1980s. Also includes official publications, photographs, and annual institute and regional conference literature.

BLOCH, EDWARD
Papers, 1939–2001, 5.41 cubic ft. (APAP–115)

The collected papers of Edward James Bloch detail his early life, his military service in the Marine Corps during World War II, his three years in Turkey teaching biology, leadership in the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America (UE), the Labor Action Coalition, the Capital Labor Religion Coalition, Interfaith Impact, Interfaith Alliance, three unsuccessful campaigns for Congress, and personal papers and correspondence. Correspondence and creative writing make up the majority of Bloch's papers. His letters are particularly voluminous between 1944 and 1946, when he served in Okinawa and China as a Marine. Other letters in the collection span his career in the UE, Congressional campaign runs, and varied personal subjects. Beside correspondence, Bloch wrote poetry, plays, essays, and other literature. These writings begin in the published version of his very early poetry, Verses (1931). Of the records kept on the UE and Bloch's other union work, those files on General Electric and FBI files on Bloch and the UE stand out above the rest. Beside these records, only the 1984, 1986, and 1995–1996 congressional election folders have a great deal of substance. Election letters, news clippings, press releases, notes, speeches, pamphlets, stickers, a poster, buttons, photos, newsletters, and position statements, are all included in these files.

BOYNTON, JONAH C., bookbinder
Day Book, 1828–36, 1 vol. (MSS–045)
Kept by a bookbinder in Albany, New York; includes a list of moveable property, 1832.

THE BROTHERS
Records, 1966–90, 1.4 cubic ft. (APAP–081)

Includes the following records of this African–American organization: copies of the Albany Liberator, an occasional newspaper edited by Gordon Van Ness for The Brothers, 1967–71; newspaper clippings and ephemera, 1967–71; retained records of the Northside Advisory Council for the Northside Community Health Center, 1970–72; materials concerning their 1990 reunion; speeches and poetry by Gordon Van Ness, undated. Organized in July 1966 with twenty–four members, The Brothers were an African–American organization focused on equal employment opportunity, welfare and work reform, programs for youth, stopping drug addiction, better education, against military conscription, and other issues of concern to the black communities in Albany, N.Y.'s Arbor Hill, North Side, and South End.

BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL WOMEN'S CLUB OF NEW YORK STATE, ALBANY CHAPTER
Records, 1934–88, 2 ft. (APAP–064)
Minutes of board of directors' meetings, constitution and by–laws, publications, photographs, clippings, and other materials pertaining to the Albany, N.Y. chapter of the Business and Professional Women's Club of New York State, Inc., founded in 1919. The Albany club was founded in 1934 "to elevate the standards for women in business and in the professions" and "extend opportunities to business and professional women through education along lines of industrial, scientific, and vocational activities."

BUTTON, DANIEL EVAN
Papers, 42 cubic ft. (APAP-231)

Daniel Evan Button was a U.S. Representative from New York. Button was born in Dunkirk, Chautauqua County, NY on November 1, 1917. He graduated from Wilmington High School (Delaware) in 1933, received his A.B. from the University of Delaware (Newark, DE) in 1938, and his M.A. from Columbia University in 1939. Button was an author and journalist working with newspapers in Wilmington, the Associated Press in New York City (1939-1947) and as executive editor of the Albany Times-Union (1960-1966). He served as the assistant to the president of the State University of New York (1952-1958) as well as on the staffs of the University of Delaware and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Button was elected as a Republican to the 19th and succeeding Congress (January 3, 1967-January 3, 1971) and was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection to Congress in 1970. This collection represents Button’s administrative actions during his two terms as a U.S. Representative: his contributions to legislation, files he received concerning domestic concerns and foreign relations, a sizeable amount of correspondence he received from Albany residents, military case files for every military branch, as well as press releases and teleprompt papers for televised events.

CAMPUS ACTION
Records, 1992–2003, 3 cubic ft. and electronic files (APAP–164)

Campus Action, founded in 1992, works with campuses to "build a vital movement to fight the social evils that plague society." Campus Action works with students, faculty and staff on campuses in the Capital District of New York State (Albany, Schenectady, Troy, and Saratoga Springs). Campus Action also works to link community and campus activist groups. Issues of interest include racism, sexism, reproductive rights, the peace movement, and environmental issues. The collection includes newsletters, correspondence, protest and exhibit materials, and related records.

CAPITAL AREA COUNCIL OF CHURCHES
Records, 1941–2002, 9 cubic ft. (APAP–129)
The Capital Area Council of Churches (CACC) was founded in 1941. The federation was intended to encompass, absorb, coordinate and extend the community service and ministry functions of several existing organizations. The majority of records in this collection are board minutes (with organizational constitutions, Director's Reports, and some committee minutes) reports, newsletters, administrative files, subject files, and some correspondence. There is also a collection of clippings from local newspapers. Well structured documentation, in the form of meeting minutes, of the formative period of the organization allow for a determination of the principle factors, both human and situational, for the genesis of the CACC. There are numerous sources (minutes, newsletters, annual reports) of the names of individuals and the roles they played in the organization; names, locations, size, relative prosperity and denomination of member congregations; and information pertaining to the other groups, individuals, and organizations which provided services in the Capital District. Many of the records show the degree to which the organization was concerned and involved with issues and events of local, national and international concern including World War II, the anti-Communist fervor, the Civil Rights Movement, the Abortion debate, the evolution of the State University of New York system, urban blight, and fair housing.

CAPITAL AREA SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION
Records, 1949–1991, 5 cubic ft. (APAP–065)
Records consist of bulletins, publications, reports, and documentation of CASDA's programs and meetings. CASDA is a legally incorporated non–profit educational organization composed of eighty–one affiliated school districts in the NYS Capital District, Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES), and the School of Education at SUNY/Albany. Since 1949, CASDA has served to promote in–service programs for professional and support staff in constituent school districts.

CAPITAL DISTRICT COALITION AGAINST APARTHEID & RACISM (CDCAAR)
Records, 1981–95, 6 reels  microfilm or 2.2 cubic ft. (APAP–011)

Contains newspaper articles, newsletters, legal papers and correspondence relating to the group's protest against the Springboks (South Africa's then all–white rugby team) game that was scheduled to take place in Albany, N.Y. on September 21, 1981, and to court cases that grew out of the protests; correspondence, minutes, and reports relating to CDCAAR's struggle against apartheid in South Africa (especially related to a campaign to force NYS to divest pension funds invested in South Africa and a boycott of South African performers); and also documenting the organization's struggles against police abuse in Albany N.Y. (particularly the Jessie Davis case).  Also includes a 1995 history of CDCAAR written by Vera Michelson. Includes a small group of papers from the Northeast Southern Africa Solidarity Network and the African National Congress. Founded in 1981 as an inter–racial group opposed to Apartheid, the group changed its name in 1995 to the Capital District Coalition for Southern Africa and Against Racism.

CAPITAL DISTRICT GAY AND LESBIAN COMMUNITY CENTER, INC.
Records, 1970–2004 (APAP–193)
The records of the Capital District Gay and Lesbian Community Center include primarly publications, correspondence, news clippings, and publicity materials. The collection includes: news clippings; correspondence; and publications that include CommUNITY (1974-2000), Speak Out (1974-1978), Northeast Alive, Capital District Alive, and others.

CAPITAL REGION TRANSGENDER COMMUNITY ARCHIVE
COLLECTION, 1969-2006, 3.37 cubic ft. (APAP-185)

The Capital Region Transgender Community Archive is a unique collection of local and regional newsletters and documents from the 1970s to the present. The bulk of the material in the collection dates from the 1980s and 1990s. The collection includes the TVIC newsletter (1972-1984), Transgender Independence Club newsletter (1987-2001), and issues of other local and national publications. Also available in the collection are posters, fliers, some organizational records, videos, and material from the Albany Gender Project. An incomplete inventory is provided here until the complete arrangement and description of the collection is completed.

CAUCUS ON WOMEN'S RIGHTS AT SUNY, ALBANY CHAPTER
Records, 1970–1976, .17 cubic ft. (UA-XXX)
 The Caucus on Women's Rights at SUNY was organized in Syracuse, New York in June 1970. Includes newsletters, position statements, and other records of the Caucus and the University of Albany chapter. The issues addressed by the Caucus included equal compensation and benefits, affirmative action, parental leave, health and retirement benefits, various student concerns, and part–time employment.

CENTER FOR LAW AND JUSTICE
Records, 1985–1999, 12.0 cubic ft. (APAP–072)

The Center for Law and Justice is a community–based organization which works to educate, advocate for, and empower poor communities and communities of color, so that they can effectively participate is social and political change. The Center is proud of its record of service, advocacy, and leadership in the areas of social and criminal justice in the Capital District area and nationwide. With support from staff, volunteers, students, criminal justice professionals, and community residents, The Center has made significant achievements toward the goal of social and political empowerment of poor people and communities of color. Since 1985, The Center has vigorously served the needs of thousands of people negatively affected by unfairness and injustice in the legal and criminal justice systems.

CITY CLUB OF ALBANY
Records, 1945, 1947–1950, 1957–1961, .2 cubic ft. (APAP–082)
The collection documents the City Club of Albany and contains organizational records from 1957–1959 mainly concerned with issues of the Citizen's Platform. The collection is composed chiefly of files retained by Harriet D. Adams as vice president of the club when it was particularly interested in urban planning. The Citizen's Platform of 1957 consisted of the City Club's position on issues such as city planning, housing, health, education, child welfare, recreation, safety and law enforcement, local government finances, and "a cleaner Albany." Organizational records also include the City Club's mission, membership, monthly reports, a budget report, reports from the Nominating Committee and the Civic Affairs Committee, newsletters, and correspondence of the Civic Affairs Committee.

CIVIL SERVICE EMPLOYEES ASSOCIATION (CSEA), LOCAL 1000, AFSCME
Records, 1925–89, 45 microfilm reels (APAP–015)
Contains board meeting transcripts, 1933–80; board meeting minutes, 1979–81; delegate meeting transcripts, 1947–80; committee minutes, 1948–84; Legal Files, 1974–83; and CSEA's newspapers (Civil Service Leader, then The Public Sector), 1944–89. The Civil Service Employees Association (CSEA), New York State's largest public employee union, was formed 1910 and the first union organized solely for State workers. A dramatic increase in membership occurred in 1947, when employees of Westchester County won a CSEA charter in 1947 and membership was open to local government workers. With the 1967 implementation of the New York State Taylor Law, the State goverment was required to bargain with employees, and CSEA's power and status increased considerably. At midnight on March 31, 1972, CSEA began the first strike by New York State employees. Although strikes are illegal under the New York State Taylor Law, the strike ended two days later with CSEA winning many improvements in its contract. In 1974 CSEA divided itself into six geographic regions (Long Island, Metropolitan, Southern, Capital, Central and Western), each with its own office.  CSEA began a trial affiliation with the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) in 1978. This affiliation became permanent in 1981, making CSEA, Local 1000, AFSCME, the largest affiliate of AFSCME.

COMMITTEE FOR PROGRESSIVE LEGISLATION
Records, 1950-1993, 1.2 cubic ft. (APAP-123)
The Committee for Progressive Legislation was a group of Unitarian women who raised a liberal religious voice in politics by enlisting other members of the Albany and Schenectady First Unitarian Universalist Societies and working together with other organizations interested in dealing with social problems. The group focused on the repeal of New York State's abortion law and state funds for family planning clinics. Included in the collection are administrative files, records of the group's legislative interests, and research of social issues. Documentation on family planning matters as well as other social welfare issues is abundant in the collection. The numerous news clippings on abortion rights and family planning articles as well as correspondence between chair Kay Dingle and New York State legislators is a strong point of the collection.

CONCERNED CITIZENS AGAINST CROSSGATES
Records, 1979-1984, 5.25 cubic ft. (APAP-057)
Correspondence of CCAC leaders with local and state officials and politicians, briefs, counter briefs, and exhibits submitted to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, 1979–80, prior to DEC granting approval for the construction of the Crossgates Regional Shopping Mall in the Albany Pine Bush, Guilderland, New York; submissions to DEC, 1980–33; legal papers relating to the suits of CCAC vs. Robert Flacke (Commissioner of DEC), 1980–82, vs. the Town of Guilderland Zoning Board of Appeals, 1980–83, and vs. the Town of Guilderland concerning the water merger vote, 1980–83; and impact studies on the economy and environment relating to air quality, wildlife, society and traffic. The records also include records of meetings, reports, press releases, newspaper clippings, and other records of a citizens' group founded to prevent the construction of the shopping mall.

CRONE, MICHELLE
PAPERS, 1927–2000, 44.4 cubic ft. (APAP-101)

The collection includes material documenting the National March on Washington, Women's Encampment, Elword Productions, Gay Games, Full Circle Festival: Equinox '89, Lesbian & Gay Film & Video Festival, Rhythm Fest, and other events and groups.

CROSSGATES REGIONAL SHOPPING MALL COLLECTION
Records, 1979–84, 7.5 cubic ft. (APAP–067)
Reports, legal briefs, transcriptions of hearings, environmental impact statements, photographs, clippings, and other materials pertaining to the application of the Pyramid Crossgates Company to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and the Department of Transportation to build the Crossgates Regional Shopping Mall in the Albany Pine Bush, Guilderland, New York.

CROUNSE, JOHANNES, farmer
Manuscript, 1796, 1 vol. (MSS–058)
"Pferdts Arzney Buchlein," a manuscript including 78 treatments for ailments of horses, written in German by Johannes Crounse, a farmer living west of Albany, New York.

DESOLE, GLORIA
Papers, circa 1969-1984, 1.2 cubic ft. (APAP-215)

The collection includes materials related to the women's movement with an emphasis on the Capital Region of New York. DeSole collected material related to projects in Albany, speeches, and publications. Records of particular interest are DeSole's speeches and the MA thesis "Feminism in the Seventies: A Study of the Woemn’s Liberation Movement of Albany, New York, 1969-1979" by Margaret Boys of Goddard College in August 1980. Also included are newsletters, journals, and periodicals. Note that only scattered issues for most of these publications are available in the collection.

DeWITT, RICHARD VARICK (b. 1832), businessman
Journal, 1862, 1 vol.
Kept on a journey across England and western Europe, May 15–June 26, 1862, by a resident of Albany, New York.

EMPLOYEE OWNERSHIP PROJECT
Records, 1967-2000, 10.17 cubic ft. (APAP-120)
The Employee Ownership Project (EOP) is an independent, non-profit organization formed in 1987, whose main objective is to improve the lives of low and moderate income residents of the Capital Region through the creation and growth of micro-enterprises and small business ventures. The EOP has been influential in starting dozens of small businesses, which have created or maintained over one hundred jobs for low and moderate income individuals. The EOP helped start up businesses such as a convenience store, a sewing factory, a dry cleaning business, a contracting firm, and an asbestos and hazardous waste removal business. The EOP serves people who might not otherwise be considered entrepreneurs and tries to match people with complimentary skills necessary in effort to create successful businesses.

ENVIRONMENTAL ADVOCATES OF NEW YORK
Records, 1970–2000 (APAP–104)

Environmental Advocates is a nonprofit, nonpartisan alliance of individuals and organizations working to protect New York's environment. The organization's activities include advocacy, coalition building, citizen education and policy development. Membership includes thousands of individual members and over 130 organizational members. It was established as the Environmental Planning Lobby (EPL) in Rye, New York in 1969 under the leadership of David Sive. The bulk of the records document the legislative activities of the organization from the 1980s through the late 1990s. The records consist of correspondence, notes, meeting minutes, reports, memorandums, publications, news clippings, promotional material, as well as the administrative files of Lee Wasserman, Val Washington, and Loretta Simon. The strength of the collection lies in the Legislative Issues series, which documents in detail the organization's position on issues, including acid rain, New York's Bottle Bill, energy, hazardous waste, pesticides, solid waste, and water, among others.

FETTERLEY, JUDITH
Papers, 1971–1993, .5 cubic ft. (APAP-085)

The collection includes materials related to the women's issues with a particular emphasis on the University at Albany, SUNY. Records of particular interest are those of Albany Women Against Rape, Capital District Women, and the Caucus on Women's Rights at SUNY. Also included are issues of the publication The Spokeswoman (1971-1981).

GANSEVOORT, LEONARD, attorney
Register, 1780–1801, 1 vol. (MSS–072)
Kept by an Albany attorney for cases handled by him in the NYS Supreme Court, Albany Mayor's Court, and various county courts.

GLOVE CITIES AREA JOINT BOARD, AMALGAMATED CLOTHING AND TEXTILE WORKER'S UNION (ACTWU)
Records, 1933–89, 10 ft. and 6 microfilm reels (APAP–017)
Contains the records of the Glove Cities Area Joint Board of the ACTWU, including minutes, 1954–87; subject files, 1941–86; and contracts, 1946–86, and minutes, 1939–87, of affiliated locals. Also contains the records of the New York State Capital District Joint Board: minutes, 1966–72, 1981–83; membership card file, 1933–83; minutes of affiliated locals, 1942–89; and the records of the New York State Capital District Union Label and Service Trades Council, 1960–81. The Glove Cities Area Joint Board of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America (ACWA) was founded in Gloversville, N.Y., in 1954. This Joint Board originally had jurisdiction over the clothing workers' unions in Gloversville, N.Y., Johnstown, N.Y., and nearby villages. These locals were primarily locals of glove and leather goods workers. The Capital District Joint Board of the Shirt, Collar and Pajama Workers of Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America (ACWA) was founded in Troy, N.Y. in 1934 with jurisdiction over locals of clothing workers in Albany, Schenectady, and Rensselaer counties. In 1976 both joint boards were affected by the merger of ACWA with the Textile Workers Union of America (TWUA), which produced the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union (ACTWU). In 1985 the joint boards merged into one, keeping the title Glove Cities Area Joint Board. These records are particularly important for the information contained on labor strife in Fulton County, N.Y., from the 1930s to the 1950s. For related records, see the records of the Hudson Valley Area Joint Board, ACTWU. Records document the decline of textile and leather goods industries in the New York State Capital District in the 1970s and 1980s.

GRAPHIC COMMUNICATIONS INTERNATIONAL UNION, LOCAL 10–B (BOOKBINDERS)
Records, 1892–89, 2 reels (APAP–020)
Contains the charter, 1892; minutes, 1907–89; constitutions, 1960–82; and contracts, 1962–69. Local 10 of the International Brotherhood of Bookbinders (IBB) was chartered in Albany N.Y in 1892, the year the IBB was formed. This local most likely was comprised of bookbinders affiliated with Albany Typographical Union No. 4. When the IBB merged with the Lithographers and Photoengravers International Union (LPIU) in 1972 to form the Graphic Arts International Union (GAIU), the local became number 10–B.  When the GAIU merged with the International Printing and Graphic Communications Union (IPGCU) in 1983, Local 10–B became a local of the Graphic Communications International Union (GCIU).

GRAPHIC COMMUNICATIONS INTERNATIONAL UNION, LOCAL 259–M
Records, 1941–88, 5 reels (APAP–021)
Contains minutes of general membership meetings, 1947–88; minutes of executive board, 1950–88; meeting agenda, 1973–85; arbitration files, 1973–80; bylaws, 1951–83; correspondence, 1947–48, 1976; and contracts, 1980–88. Also included are the records of Local 58–C, which contain contracts and arbitration files, 1941–86. Graphic Communications International Union (GCIU), Local 259–M was created through the mergers of many other locals over the years, including the International Printing Pressmen and Assistants' of North America (IPPAU), Local 58, chartered in 1898 in Utica, N.Y.; the Albany N.Y. Photo–Engravers Union No. 21, chartered in Albany in 1921; the International Association of Amalgamated Lithographers of America (ALA), Local No. 59, chartered in Albany N.Y. in 1943; and Lithographers and Photoengravers International Union (LPIU), Local 259, formed from a merger of ALA Local 59–L, an. International Photo Engravers Union of North America (IPUENA), Local 21–P. Local 259 was involved in a number of legal cases against printing plants in the 1970s, including one at Amsterdam Printing and Litho Corporation that set a legal precedent for the repayment of wages lost due to unfair dismissal. Local 58 was involved in a strike against the Utica Observer–Dispatch in 1967 that included four other unions and closed down the newspaper for a hundred days.

GREEN, ALICE P.
Papers, 1960–2001, 1.89 cubic ft. (APAP–136)

The collection is particularly strong in following Dr. Green's media appearances throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Issues of The South End Scene, a newspaper Dr. Green founded as executive director of the Albany–based youth and family services center the Trinity Institution are also included in the collection. The collection contains papers and other materials relating to Dr. Green's 1998 run for Lieutenant Governor of New York State on the Green Party ticket. The collection also follows the progress of Law Never Here, a book Dr. Green co–wrote w ith Dr. Frankie Bailey which was published in 1999. Items of interest are found in the small correspondence series, which includes letters from New York Senator and former First Lady, Hillary Rodham Clinton, former mayor of New York, Thomas Whalen III, and comedian Richard Pryor.

INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF PAINTERS AND ALLIED TRADES OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, LOCAL 201
Records, 1900, 1922–82, 2 ft. (APAP–052)
Contains records of Local 201 and its predecessor locals: Local 12 (Troy, N.Y.), membership ledgers, 1922–51; Local 62 (Schenectady, N.Y.), minutes, 1936–44, 1965–82; Local 201 (Albany, N.Y.), minutes, 1962–81; and contracts, 1965–82. Local 201 now represents painters in Albany, Schenectady, and Rensselaer counties. Merging the three original locals had been discussed at least since 1979, and in 1982 the merger was completed and resulted in a more centralized and efficient management of the union.

ISMAY, LOUIS
Papers, 1959, 1964, 1966, 1968-1977, 29.14 cubic ft. (UA-902.064)
The papers of Lou Ismay document the history of the Environmental Forum at the University at Albany, SUNY, (State University of New York at Albany as it was then known) from 1969-1977, as well as the Environmental Studies Program. The collection contains information on the Environmental Forum, the Protect Your Environment Club, administrative files, student writings, subject files, correspondence, and publications. The student writings are from Ismay's Environmental Forum classes from 1969-1977. This series is restricted from use, along with parts of the Environmental Forum and correspondence series. This course was held under different numbers during its existence, including A&S 201 and Env.250a and b. The strength of the collection lies not in the educational departments that are represented by the collection, but by the overall impression one can gather about the rise of environmental awareness among students at the university. Access to certain student material is restricted. Consult a staff member for details.

THOMAS KEEFE
Papers, 1981–2002, 13 cubic ft. (APAP–317)

Albany resident Thomas Keefe is a city court judge who previously served as an attorney in private practice before his election to the bench in 2002. As an attorney, he handled litigation related to elections, including Albany School Board and City Council races, and a significant homeowner tax reassessment case lasting more than a decade. He also served as co-chair of the Albany-based Robert F. Kennedy Democratic Club, which formed to support all Democratic candidates seeking office, from its inception in 1994 until 2002. Through case files, the collection documents the contested nature of Albany and New York elections during the late 1980s and 1990s. It consists of a variety of court records, including motions, petitions, transcripts, and affidavits, case research, correspondence, subject files, and notes. There are files and memorabilia related to Keefe’s 2002 campaign and eventual election. In addition, the collection contains organizational records related to the Robert F. Kennedy Democratic Club and other campaign and political event materials.

KENNEDY, WILLIAM
Papers, 1926-2003, 41.2 cubi ft. (MSS-132)
Includes correspondence, drafts, typescripts, worksheets, manuscripts, autograph notes, galleys and page proofs, photographs, and printed ephemera from throughout Kennedy's career as a writer. Kennedy is executive director of the UAlbany-based New York State Writers Institute, which he founded, and joined the University at Albany English Department in 1974. He is the author of nine novels to date, The Ink Truck his first. Seven subsequent works form his ongoing Albany Cycle of novels -- all centered on his native Albany during the 19th and 20th centuries. The most recent, Chango's Beads and Two-Tone Shoes, was published in 2011. Kennedy's Ironweed won the Pulitzer Prize in 1984 and was chosen by the Modern Library as one of the 100 best novels of the 20th century. Other Kennedy works include Legs, Billy Phelan's Greatest Game, Quinn's Book, Very Old Bones, and The Flaming Corsage, as well as two children's books co-authored with his son Brendan, Charlie Malarkey and the Belly Button Machine and Charlie Malarkey and the Singing Moose. He has also published two books of nonfiction, O Albany!, an impressionistic history of his city, and Riding the Yellow Trolley Car, a collection of literary and critical essays. Ironweed was made into a film by Hector Babenco. Kennedy also co-wrote the screenplay of The Cotton Club with director Francis Ford Coppola.

KNOLLS ACTION PROJECT (KAP)
Records, 1978–1994, 22.3 cubic ft. (APAP–105)

The Knolls Action Project based in Albany, New York grew out of the Blue Karner Affinity Group that was formed by local activists to participate in anti–nuclear protests at the Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant in New Hampshire in 1978. The group decided to focus on the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory (KAPL), a General Electric facility that conducted research and training on nuclear propulsion systems for the United States Navy. The KAPL site located in Niskayuna, N.Y. designed propulsion systems for the nuclear navy, including the Trident submarine system. The West Milton, N.Y. KAPL facility (or Kesselring site) was where naval crews trained to operate the Trident and other nuclear submarines. These records document the activities and interests of KAP from 1978 to 1994. Some of the information pre–dates the founding of the organization, but was obtained by members of KAP for research or informational purposes. The collection is comprehensive, and contains meeting minutes, newsletters, leaflets, clippings, reports, books and publications, audiovisuals, and peace–related memorabilia.

LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF ALBANY COUNTY
Records, 1938–2001, 31.47 cubic ft. (APAP–128)

The records of the League of Women Voters of Albany County (LWVAC), include material produced by the LWVAC as well as material that was produced by the League of Women Voters of New York State and the League of Women Voters of the United States. The most comprehensive series in the collection is the Administrative Files. There are meeting minutes, annual reports, and Board of Directors lists from 1940–2001. A large portion of the LWVAC collection relates to the two main purposes of the organization: voter service and "study and action." Records relating to voter service include pamphlets with information about candidates and citizen voting rights published by the LWVAC and material used to increase voter participation. Records related to "study and action" include material used by the LWVAC to inform citizens about public policy issues locally, statewide, and nationally. A strength of the LWVAC collection is the amount of material related to various public policy issues and how they affected the local community.

LEWIS, NAHUM
Papers, circa 1940-1990, .4 cubic ft. (APAP–156)
The collection documents the Jewish community in New York's Capital Region and includes material from teh Troy Zionist Organization of America, the Albany Jewish Community Center, the Troy Hebrew Credit Union, an exhibit produced by the Albany Institute of History and Art.

LINDQUIST, JENNIE D.
Papers, 1944–55, 2 ft. (MSS–019)

Chiefly personal correspondence with Helen T. Fay, Eleanor M. Foote, printed materials, transcripts of her 1940s New Hampshire radio program "Good Books for Boys and Girls," and a publisher's advanced copy of her book The Crystal Tree (New York: Harper and Row, 1966).  Lindquist was a staff member of the Horn Book (the Boston publisher) from 1948 to 1958 and was editor of its Horn Book Magazine; she was also head of the Children's Department at the Albany Public Library, a lecturer and librarian at the University of New Hampshire, and an employee of The John Mistletoe Bookshop.

LORD, VICTOR A. PAPERS
Papers, 1950–1980, 5.0 cubic ft. (APAP–318)

Victor A. Lord, Jr., a native of Schenectady, New York, obtained a law degree from Yale University after serving time overseas in World War II. In 1951 he returned to the Albany area and joined the law firm of McNamee, Lochner, Titus, and Williams. Lord also joined the Junior Chamber of Commerce, which indirectly led to an eye-opening view of Albany's Democratic Machine. His activities with the Chamber introduced him to his future wife, who would also be his partner in promoting social and political change in Albany. Together they became involved with reform groups like the Albany Independence Movement (AIM) and the Citizens United Reform Effort (CURE), both of which were foundations for the Albany Liberal Party. Lord and his colleagues worked to end corruption in local and state government, promoting an end to the five-dollar vote, end to racial prejudice, and greater variety of voices in political matters. The collection, which has been inventoried but not fully processed, contains Lord's notes, correspondence, speeches, brochures and booklets on matters of social reform, and many fliers, pamphlets, and news clips regarding voting, Albany public schools, urban renewal, race issues, the Albany police and fire departments, and the election of Dan Button to Congress.

LURIE, ANDREA
Papers, circa 1967-1986, 3 cubic ft. (APAP-051)

The collection includes materials related to the women's movement and lesbians with an emphasis on the Capital Region of New York, but also including material from throughout the United States. Lurie collected photographs from Women's Day in Albany, posters, material related to projects in Albany, correspondence, drafts of manuscripts, and Lurie's own speeches. Also included are pamphlets, newsletters, journals, and periodicals.

M. C. LAWTON CIVIC AND CULTURAL CLUB
Records, 1921–1995, 2 cubic ft. (APAP–027)

Contains minute books and membership rosters, 1927–77; correspondence, 1921–77; and official publications, 1954–87. In 1919, this African–American women's club was founded in Albany N.Y. with the goal of "community service, educational advancement, race relations and self development." by sponsoring lectures by Cullen and other prominent people and protesting housing discrimination. It was named after Maria C. Lawton, president of the Empire State Federation of Women's Clubs, 1916–26, with which it has always been affiliated.


MADEJ, HENRY
Papers, 1966–2006, 1.44 cubic ft. (APAP–140)

Henry Madej, an alumnus of the University at Albany, has been an active alum and a long-term leader in the Pine Hills Neighborhood Association. The Pine Hills Neighborhood Association covers the neighborhood adjacent to the University at Albany's Downtown Campus and is a mix of student housing, long-term residents, and commercial areas. The collection includes newsletters, banners, and related material about the neighborhood association and the City of Albany.

MCENENY, JOHN
Papers, 1992–2009, 9.25 cubic ft. (APAP–320)

John J. McEneny represents the 104th district in the New York State Assembly, which encompasses portions of Albany County, including parts of the city of Albany, the towns of Guilderland and New Scotland, and the Helderberg Hill towns of Berne, Knox, Westerlo and Rensselaerville. A member of the Democratic Party, he has served on several committees, including steering (chair), ethics and guidance, ways and means, governmental employees, and social services, and as Acting Speaker ProTempore on weekends, holidays and non-session days. Born in Albany in 1943, McEneny received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Siena College. Prior to his election to the Assembly in 1992, McEneny served in other public service roles. He began his career as a social services caseworker in 1965 and later Mayor Erastus Corning appointed him Albany's first Director of Manpower Planning, Director of Public Employment Programs, and Commissioner of Human Resources, 1971-84. In 1985 McEneny became director of the State Urban Cultural Parks Program and, from 1989-1991, was Assistant Albany County Executive. This collection contains materials from McEneny's tenure in the Assembly including correspondence, primarily from constituents, dating from 1992-2009, annotated files containing his 1993 sponsored legislation, and materials from his 1993 freshman orientation to the Assembly.

MENANDS BOOK CLUB (MSS-138)
Records, 1881–2006, .67 cubic ft. (MSS–138)
The collection predominantly consists of paper-handouts and mini-booklets. In addition, there are some newspaper clippings and both ledger and composition notebooks to record meetings. There are guidebooks to the village of Menands anniversary celebrations in the collection as well. Please note there are gaps in the collection record in the 1940s and then again in the 1960s and 1970s, with the meeting program guides.

MISHLER, MARK
Papers, 1975–2008, 6 cubic ft. (APAP–316)

Mark Mishler has practiced law in Albany, NY since 1981, first as director of student legal services at the University at Albany for six years and then as an attorney in private practice. In 2000 he ran for Albany County District Attorney, endorsed by the Working Families Party and the Green Party. This collection documents three decades of Mishler's political, community, and legal work on issues involving the city police force, police misconduct, and police practices with regard to civilian rights. Included are case files, court records, subject files, correspondence, clippings, reports, notes, background research, newsletters, and flyers for community events. The files detail Mishler's involvement with a variety of community organizations, such as the Albany Community Police Relations Board, the Albany branch of the NAACP, and the local chapter of Citizen Action. There is a small number of audio/video cassettes, and a small group of photographs. In addition, there are files and memorabilia documenting Mishler's 2000 political campaign for district attorney.

MONDAY MUSICAL CLUB
Records, 1924–1988, 2.44 cubic ft. (APAP–089)
The Monday Musical Club was organized for women in Albany, New York in 1904 to study, discuss and perform music in an informal manner. The Club's purpose was to encourage a broader culture in music and art among its members and in the community at large. The records of the Club best document the group's performances and activities. The Club's programs and yearbooks provide a comprehensive list of performances from the 1950s through the 1980s. The annual yearbooks are a rich source of information including club membership, performances, and financial status. The Club's administrative functions are documented through meeting minutes and reports submitted to committees as well as the Club. Scrapbooks are a rich source of Club history featuring programs, yearbooks, and new clippings with occasional photographs, club newsletters, or related materials.

MULLIGAN, THOMAS E., Jr. (1918–85), politician
Papers, 1951–1982, 4 ft. (APAP–090)
The bulk of the material pertains to Mulligan's unsuccessful 1953 mayoral campaign in Albany against Erastus Corning. Includes correspondence, speeches, and newspaper clippings, 1953; photographs and other materials pertaining to Republican Party politics and issues in Albany, New York.

NAACP, ALBANY N.Y. BRANCH
Records, 1968–87, 2.25 cubic ft. (APAP–074)

Includes minutes, 1977–78; case files, 1973–81; newspaper clippings, 1968–75.  Chiefly files of Harry Hamilton as chapter president of this civil rights group chartered in 1935 to increase opportunities for and combat racial discrimination against African Americans.  This local chapter has been active in affecting change through public awareness, demonstrations, and legislative reform.

NATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR WOMEN--ALBANY (N.Y.) CHAPTER
Records, 1971–2005, 5.0 cubic ft. (APAP-174)

The collection includes correspondence, minutes, by-laws, financial reports, subject files on women's issues, and printed materials pertaining to NOW with particular strength in documenting the Albany and New York State chapters. The records of this women's organization pertain to sexual discrimination in education and employment, reproductive rights, gay and lesbian rights, the Equal Rights Amendment, and other gender-related issues.

NATELL, THOMAS
Papers, 1956-2002, 12.1 cubic ft. (APAP-191)

The Thomas Nattell papers document the life of a mental health worker and political activist active during the 1980s and 1990s in Albany, New York. He created and participated in organizations like the Albany Peace and Energy Council (APEC) and the Three Guys From Albany poetry troupe. He also acted as promoter and event coordinator for movie showings, poetry open mics and an annual 24-hour poetry reading alongside a coinciding international postcard art event. Nattell used poetry and other arts to advance world peace, anti-nuclear power and proliferation, and environmental issues. This collection contains videos of events, photographs, scrapbooks full of art and poetry mailed from around the world to Nattell, subject files with research on topics related to his professional work as well as his activism, poetry, correspondence, and clippings.

NEW YORK CANALS
Collection, 1828–83 (MSS–093)
Includes a stock certificate from the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company, 1828; receipts and checks for the Erie and Chenango canals from William C. Bouck, commissioner of the Canal Fund, 1835–38; letters and petitions received by William W. Wight, clerk of the Canal Contracting Board, Albany, 1854–58; letters received by Nathaniel S. Benton, auditor of the NYS Canal Department, Albany, 1858–65; and a NYS Canal Department stock certificate, October 6, 1881.

NEW YORK COALITION FOR ALTERNATIVES TO PESTICIDES
Records, 1908–2002, Bulk Dates, 1988-1995, 23.89 cubic ft. (APAP–151)
In 1989, Tracy Frisch, an etymologist who had suffered from pesticide poisoning, formed a non-profit citizens' organization committed to reducing hazardous chemical pesticides use through education and advocacy called the New York Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides (NYCAP). The early issues that NYCAP championed included: safe pest control for schools, hospitals, and public places; reducing work exposure to chemicals; farm worker protection; prevention of groundwater pollution; environmentally sound farming; and strict regulation of pesticides. NYCAP also sought to provide leadership on these issues to other organizations such as parent teacher associations, labor unions, and general environmental groups. This collection documents the activities of NYCAP from its creation in 1989 through 2002. It contains administrative files such as committee and meeting minutes, fundraising campaigns, by-laws, correspondence, annual telemarketing campaigns, grant proposals and funding, invoices, prepaid sales receipts, and technical assistance logs. Mailing and membership lists for NYCAP and some related organizations are also included, along with: state and national legislation; government reports and publications; conference planning, programs, and attendance; information requests, news clippings and journal articles on pesticide-related topics; pesticide fact sheets; brochures and pamphlets; pesticide labels; and copies of newsletters, magazines, journals, and other publications of related groups received through a newsletter exchange.

NEW YORK STATE PUBLIC EMPLOYEES FEDERATION (PEF), AFL-CIO, ENVIONMENTAL CONSERVATION DIVISION
Records, 1975–2000, 23.17 cubic feet (APAP–114)
The Public Employees Federation (PEF) was founded in 1979 to represent
members of the Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PS&T) bargaining unit of New York State. PS&T employees had formerly been represented by CSEA, the state’s largest public employee union. PEF founders believed that the concerns of the PS&T unit were not adequately represented by CSEA, the majority of whose members were non-professional state employees. PEF’s stated mission is to “provide the leadership necessary for PEF members to achieve employment security, higher wages, better working conditions, and improved retirement benefits.” Materials in this collection document PEF activities at both the state and division level. There is extensive coverage of executive board activities from 1978 through mid-2000, annual conventions, committee meetings, and contract negotiations. Also included are files for PEF Division 169, PEF’s Environmental Conservation Division. These include correspondence, agendas and minutes for labor/management meetings, material on committees, and administrative files. This collection also documents the activities of reform groups and political parties within PEF (most notably, the Statewide Coalition for a Democratic Union) and PEF’s relationships with its national affiliates, the Service Employees International Union and the American Federation of Teachers. Particularly strong is the collection of bulletin board postings, which includes almost everything posted on Division 169 PEF bulletin boards from 1979 through 2000. There are also official PEF publications, including a near-complete run of PEF’s official monthly newsletter to members, The Communicator

NEWSPAPER GUILD OF ALBANY, NEW YORK, LOCAL 34
Records, 1936–89, 3 ft. (APAP–005)
Contains executive board and membership minutes, 1936–87; unit minutes, 1942–87; bulletins, 1936–84; contracts, 1937–89; and organizing and litigation files, 1935–88. The Newspaper Guild of Albany, New York, Local 34 was chartered on March 20, 1934, as the Tri–City Newspaper Guild of Albany, Schenectady, and Troy, New York as well as nearby cities. In 1937, the guild won its first agreement and the first Newspaper Guild agreement in upstate New York when it signed a contract with the Albany Times Union. The Albany Guild's last strike in 1964 formed the basis for The Ink Truck, the first published novel of William Kennedy, who was one of the strikers. The local began as a union of reporters and editors, but over the years other newspaper occupations have been organized as the guild has subsumed independent unions. Currently, janitors and drivers, as well as employees from the business office and sales and circulation departments are represented by the guild. Although the guild has confined most of its activities to the tri–cities, it has opened offices in Hudson and Glens Falls, New York.

NORTON, JOSEPH L.
Papers, 1940–1998, 14 cubic ft. (UA–902.006)
Correspondence, lecture notes, publications, primarily relating to Norton's career (1963– ) as a professor in the School of Education, University at Albany, particularly to his interest in vocational guidance, school counseling, and sex education. The papers also include two cubic feet of correspondence, minutes of meetings, and printed materials relating to Norton's involvement in the gay liberation movement: advisor to the Gay Liberation Front in New York State (1971–72); a member of the Board of Directors of the National Gay Task Force (1976–78); a founder and director of the National Caucus of Gay and Lesbian Counselors of the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists; and a founder and director of the Caucus of Gay Counselors of the American Personnel and Guidance Association (1977–78).

NORTON, JOSEPH, Gay and Lesbian Rights Activist
Papers, 1971–85
(Currently unprocessed)

PERSICO, JOSEPH E.
Papers, 1910–2003, 17 cubic ft. (APAP–030)

The papers of Joseph Persico focus on his careers as a political speechwriter and as a full-time author. His speeches from the 1960s include his work for both New York State Commissioner of Health, Hollis Ingraham, and New York State Governor, Nelson Rockefeller. Press releases and transcripts associated with the speeches are also present in the Persico files. The author’s publication files include manuscripts, correspondence, screenplays, and research notes. For Persico's Piercing the Reich, several folders hold parts of a single OSS (Office of Strategic Services) War Report from 1949, detailing OSS action in Europe, Africa, and Asia during World War II. For Nuremberg: Infamy on Trial, the author's files contain a draft of the work and research material including photos from the Holocaust and the Nuremberg Trials. The texts, drafts, news clippings, correspondence, and other supporting material is available for speeches and other non-book writings of Persico.

PINE HILLS FORTNIGHTLY CLUB
Records, ca. 1898–1999, 2.33 ft. (APAP–031)
Contains Constitutions, ca. 1898, 1903, 1927–91; Programmes, 1904–13 and Yearbooks, 1913–99; secretary's minutes, 1902–95 (with gaps); budgets, 1913–22, 1935–36, 1928–60, 1963–69 (proposed budget, 1992–93);  and papers written by members and presented to the membership, 1911–98 (scattered). Subject files include Club anniversary programs, attendance records, budgets, duties and responsibilities of certain officers and committees, membership recommendations, memorials, miscellaneous papers, news clippings, Program Committee papers, yearly themes for research 1900–93, and annual Spring Luncheon Programs. The Pine Hills Fortnightly Club was founded in the Albany, NY area in 1898 by Mary M. Shaw and a group of women as a literary and social club. Members (most of whom are college educated) have met on alternate Monday afternoons to deliver papers around a central theme that involves the study of history, literature, and art. The major part of the collection is devoted to the originals or copies of the papers delivered by members at the bi–weekly meetings.

POST, LIBBY
Papers, 1982–92, 4.18 cubic ft. (APAP–045)
Papers include press kits for campaign workers; newsletters; press releases; and press coverage in the form of news clippings. Subject files are predominantly news clippings on topics such as homosexuality, child abuse, gay rights, Planned Parenthood, reproductive issues, and state law. Libby Post was press secretary and campaign manager for a number of Democratic politicians and organizations from the Albany, NY area of the New York State Capital District. Post worked for the campaigns of Ed Bloch for NYS Congress in 1984 and 1987. She was press secretary for NYS Assemblywoman May W. Newburger and Sheila Healy, 6th District Democrat for Albany County Legislature. Post was media coordinator for Family Planning Advocates of NYS, 1985–87 and for the Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Inc., 1987. Post worked for the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment, for gay rights, and against domestic violence as part of her private activist work.

PROSPECT HILL CEMETERY
Record Book, 1854, 1 vol. (MSS–103)
Records burial plots in a cemetery located in Guilderland, New York.

ROWLEY, WILLIAM
Papers (UA–902.060)

RUBIN, HAROLD
Papers, 1964–2002, 6 cubic ft. (APAP–032)

Subject file largely consisting of retained records of local organizations dedicated to preserving the Albany, New York historic neighborhoods and architecture. Includes minutes of meetings, correspondence, legal documents, press releases, newspaper clippings, and other records of the Capital Hill Architectural Review Commission, 1972–88; Center Square Neighborhood Association, 1982–88; Coalition for Effective Code Enforcement, 1974–76; Council of Albany Neighborhood Associations, 1976–88; Neighborhood Resource Center, 1970s; and other local groups. Kept by Rubin as chair of several of the associations and as an Albany urban preservationist.

SAVE THE PINE BUSH
Records, 1977–2001, 8.87 cubic ft. and 5 tubes of maps (APAP–125)
This collection documents the activities of Save the Pine Bush, Inc., a non profit organization concerned with protecting the rare inland pine barrens sand dunes of the Capital District, known as the Albany Pine Bush. The Pine Bush is the largest ecosystem of its kind and home to the Karner Blue Butterfly, which was placed on the Federal Endangered Species Act in 1992. Included in the collection are the records of three organizations concerned with environmental issues in the 1970s; The University of Albany's Protect Your Environment (PYE) student organization (1973–1975), People for the Pine Bush (1973–1975), and Citizen's For the Environment (CPE), based in Schenectady, New York (1974–1979). Also included are meeting minutes, agendas, grant proposals, fliers, and other materials from the years 1978–1980. The remainder and bulk of collection consists of litigation papers, Draft Environmental Impact Statements (DEIS), Final Environmental Impact Statements (FEIS), correspondence, Save the Pine Bush newsletters and activities announcements, maps, and Freedom of Information Act requested materials concerning various proposed development sites from the years 1978–2001.

SCHULTZ, JOAN
Papers, circa 1970-1980, 1.4 cubic ft. (APAP–216)

The collection includes materials related to the women's issues with a particular emphasis on the University at Albany, SUNY. Records of particular interest are those of the Equal Employment Opportunity Advisory Committee, Capital District Women, and the Caucus on Women's Rights at SUNY.

SIGMA PI PHI, BETA PSI BOULE (APAP–333)
Records, 1983–2013, 7.2 cubic ft. (APAP–333)

The Sigma Pi Phi, Beta Psi Boulé Records document the history of the Albany chapter of the nation’s oldest Greek-letter organization comprised of college-educated and professional African-American men. Founded in Philadelphia in 1904, the Sigma Pi Phi fraternity is referred to as the Boulé and has more than 5,000 members and 119 chapters across the United States and Caribbean. The Beta Psi Boulé was established in 1984 and has been active in and supportive of the Capital District community for more than a quarter century. The collection contains administrative records, including meeting agendas and minutes, correspondence, conference materials, photographs, subject files, and the organization’s national publication The Boulé Journal.

SOCIAL JUSTICE CENTER
Records, 1988-1997, 13 cubic ft. (APAP–177)

The Social Justice Center is a grassroots community based organization which, through its programming and projects, confronts the roots and structures of oppression. The center acts as an umbrella organization for various activist groups in New York's Capital Region. Issues of interest include racism, sexism, reproductive rights, the peace movement, and environmental issues.

SOCIAL WELFARE, SCHOOL OF (UA-690)
Records, 1964–2000, 20.4 cubic ft. (UA–690)

The collection spans from the School's first full year of operation in 1964 to 2000. Early records relating to the founding of the School include annual reports, accreditation reports and internal self-studies, proposals for the bachelor's, master's, and the Ph. D. programs, faculty meeting minutes, and various School of Social Welfare bulletins. The bulk of the collection documents the day-to-day operations of the School from 1990-2000, during Lynn Videcka-Sherman's tenure as dean as well as publications from the Resource Guide Series produced by the Continuing Education Program.

SOLIDARITY COMMITTEE OF THE CAPITAL DISTRICT (New York State)
Records, 1980–99, 10 cubic ft. (APAP–042)
Contains minutes and administrative files, 1983–99; subject files, 1980–90; Solidarity Notes, the committee's newsletter, 1984–97; and photographs. During the 1983 Greyhound strike by the Amalgamated Transit Union, a coalition of labor unions was formed under the name the Greyhound Strikers Solidarity Committee of the Capital District.  At the end of this strike, the committee, believing that solidarity within the labor movement was essential to its survival, decided to continue as the Solidarity Committee of the Capital District.  Since that time, the committee has worked to support hundreds of strikes and labor activities, most of them in Eastern New York, but including many across the country and in Latin America.

STATE UNIVERSITY CONSTRUCTION FUND
Records, 1961–1979, .88 cubic ft. (APAP–046)
The State University Construction Fund was established by the Governor and the Legislature of New York as a public benefit corporation within the State University to plan, design, construct and provide financing for facilities required by the State University of New York to meet academic program and enrollment needs. As a result of the creation of the fund and in response to an urgent need to make higher education opportunities available to additional thousands of New Yorkers, the largest university building program in history was launched in New York State. The collection contains campus plans for the State University of New York (SUNY) System construction in the 1960s and 1970s. Progress reports and charts in each report include the dates that architects, sketches and locations for construction were approved. The charts also provide the dates construction began for each campus in the SUNY System. The collection includes annual reports from 1964 through 1979. These provide the budget for construction and the yearly progress for each facility. The annual report for the year 1972 celebrates the first ten years of the State University Construction Fund and includes helpful retrospective information. A review of the capital program for all state universities from 1975 to 1976 and 1976 to 1977 is included in the collection and reviews of the Albany campus are available from 1971 through 1975.

STEEN, IVAN
Papers, 1936, 1959–2013, 4.72 cubic ft. (APAP–219)
Ivan D. Steen was a long time professor at the University at Albany. He began his career at Hunter College of the City University of New York after completing his schooling at New York University, where he received his bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. After three years on the faculty at Hunter College, Steen joined the University at Albany's History Department in 1965 as an assistant professor. He became founding director of the University's Public History Graduate Program in 1983, an associate professor in 1985 and associate professor emeritus in 2008. Professor Steen is passionate about oral history and local history. As founding director of the University's Oral History Program, Steen’s projects often focused on a combination of the two. Two of Steen’s major projects were the Erastus Corning Years Oral History Project and The Rockefeller Years: An Oral History of the State of New York Under Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller. Steen, along with students in the program, worked on other projects pertaining to local history such as Albany’s black community, the history of the Fort Orange Club, local area Holocaust survivors, and memories of radio personnel. Steen personally conducted many interviews as did his research associates and students in the Oral History Program. Steen also worked on a former Prisoner of War (POW) oral history project where he interviewed former POWs from World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War.

STUDENT ASSOCIATION OF THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK (SASU)
Records, 1971–80, 17.5 cubic ft. (APAP–046)
Correspondence, memoranda, minutes of meetings, and other records pertaining to SASU, the parent organization of individual student associations at campuses of the State University of New York. Includes extensive files about campus radicalism and lobbying for state higher education funding. The Student Association of the State University of New York (SASU), was established in the Summer of 1970 by five student governments in the State University. There were several reasons for its establishment. First, a new Chancellor, Dr. Ernest Boyer, had just been appointed without any meaningful student input into this decision. Second, the State University of New York (SUNY) Board of Trustees was proposing to alter the rules governing the use of mandatory student fees without consulting with students. Third, many students were alarmed at the response of SUNY Central to disruption on campus, and believed that a state–wide student organization was necessary to oppose the establishment of local campus hearing commissions for campus disruption. Finally, and perhaps most important, it should be noted that on college and university campuses across the nation, students were demanding that they be granted a greater role in the decision making processes on campus. On many issues, ranging from the establishment of curricula to the leveling of fees and tuition, students were increasing their input into the administration of their institutions. Thus SASU's creation should be seen in the context of the growing national student movement.

SULLIVAN, JAMES (1873–1931), educator, librarian
Photograph Album, undated, 1 vol. (MSS–115)
 Contains photographs compiled by Sullivan of the interiors of high school libraries in Albany, Buffalo, and New York City, 1916–29. In 1940 the Department of Librarianship at the New York State College for Teachers (a predecessor of School of Information Science and Policy, University at Albany, SUNY) added photographs of high school libraries in Albany, Elmira, Glens Falls, and Malverne, as well as several school libraries in Detroit, Michigan. Sullivan was the principal of the Boy's High School, Brooklyn, New York, 1907–16.

THAYER, LITTLEJOHN AND COMPANY
Shipping Register, 1827, 1 vol. (MSS–117)
Records goods received from the firm of Thayer, Littlejohn and Company in Albany, New York, for shipping aboard Erie Canal boats. The volume bears the stationer's label "Packard & Van Benthuysen, Printers and Blank Book–Binders."

UNITED AUTOMOBILE, AEROSPACE AND AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENT WORKERS OF AMERICA (UAW), FORD LOCAL 930
Records, 1944–1989, 2 ft. (APAP–038)
Contains minutes, 1944–66, 1975–89; correspondence, 1971–88; newsletters, 1971–72, 1984–85; contracts, 1961, 1970–87; constitutions and by–laws, 1964, 1974–83; photographs, 1944, ca. 1985; audio tapes, 1985; a published history, 1988; and memorabilia, 1968, 1982–88.  Also contains the records of the UAW New York Capital Area Political Action Committee, 1971, 1977–87.  UAW Local 930 was chartered on August 7, 1941.  The Ford Motors plant at Green Island, New York, produced automobile parts that were shipped to Ford assembly plants in the United States and Canada. During the last twenty years of operation, the plant produced leaf springs, radiators and heater cores.  The Ford plant closed in December 1988 and Local 930 in October 1989.

UNITED TENANTS OF ALBANY
Records, 1972–2001, 3.12 cubic ft. (APAP–118)

The records of the United Tenants of Albany (UTA) document its founding and record its daily activities as a non–profit organization campaigning for the rights of tenants in Albany from 1972 to 2001. Topics included in this collection are affordable housing, effective housing and health code enforcement, the UTA's protests against the loan policies of several banks and rent control. This collection also contains the UTA's administrative records, including its minutes, organizational structure, financial records, mission statement and by–laws. The subject file concerning the UTA's campaign for the effective enforcement of Albany's building code is especially comprehensive. The rent control subject file is also strong.

VAN KLEECK, EDWIN ROBERT (1906–65), genealogist
Papers, 1946–65, 3 ft. (MSS–123)
Correspondence concerning the Van Kleeck genealogy, 1946–65; correspondence with Kenneth Hasbrouck on history and education, 1951–56; and printed materials on New York State and Albany history, 1950–65.

UNITED UNIVERSITY PROFESSIONS (UUP)
Records, 1968–2000, 114 cubic feet and 6 reels of microfilm (APAP–039)
The records of United University Professions (UUP) document the activities the union of the faculty and non–teaching professionals of the State University of New York since 1973.  They begin in the 1960s with UUP's antecedents, the State University Professional Association (SUPA) and the Senate Professional Association (SPA), and continue through June 2000 for the Communications Department, and through May 1993 (the end of the Reilly administration) for most other series.
>Virtually all aspects of UUP's activities are covered by the records, including the actions of its policy–making bodies–the Delegate Assembly and the Executive Board; the activities of UUP as seen through the correspondence of its President and members, and through project and subject files; activities on and issues of concern to individual campus chapters seen through correspondence between chapter representatives and chapter members to UUP's Administrative Office and through newsletters created by individual chapters; contract negotiations between UUP and the State; the activities of UUP's Executive Director/Director of Staff in handling grievance and improper practice matters and providing input to UUP's President and others regarding various issues of concern; UUP as presented in its publications; and photographs, video, and audio tape records of its activities.

UNITED UNIVERSITY PROFESSIONS (UUP) ORAL HISTORY PROJECT
Collection, 2.0 cubic feet and 53 audio tapes (APAP–099)
The UUP Oral History Project collection currently consists of three series: the recorded audio tapes of 36 of the 42 interviews, transcripts of those 36 interviews; and the project's administrative files consisting of the releases signed by interviewees, correspondence regarding the releases, and the copies of the transcripts marked with the narrator's requested changes. A fourth series consisting of the interviewer's research notes and collected background information on UUP (including materials provided to her by interviewees) is expected to be added to this collection in the near future. The interviews primarily focus on the establishment of United University Professions and the early years of its existence. The bulk of the events and personalities discussed occurred prior to UUP's creation and during the first three presidential administrations (Lawrence DeLucia, Samuel Wakshull, and Nuala McGann Drescher, covering from May 1973 to May 1987). In a few of the interviews, some references are made to the administration of UUP's fourth president, John M. Reilly, who was president at the time the interviews were conducted.

UNITED UNIVERSITY PROFESSIONS (UUP), ALBANY, N.Y. CHAPTER
Records, 1968–90, .75 cubic ft. (APAP–054)
Correspondence, 1973–78; memoranda, 1973–86; and newsletters, 1973–76, of the bargaining agent for academic and professional employees of the University at Albany, SUNY. Also includes the records of the local predecessor organizations, the Senate Professional Association, 1968–74; and the State University Professional Association, 1973–74. Affiliated with New York State United Teachers and the American Federation of Teachers, United University Professions was founded in 1974.

URBAN LEAGUE OF NORTHEASTERN NEW YORK
Records, 1966–1987, 8.5 cubic ft. (APAP–008)

Correspondence, memoranda, minutes of meetings, subject files, official publications, and other records of this multi–cultural community organization. Since its establishment in 1966 as the Urban League of the Albany N.Y. Area has campaigned for voter registration, housing, education, social services and other issues of concern to African Americans and others in the New York State Capital District. Includes some reports, memoranda, and other records of the National Urban League (Washington, D.C.) and its Northeastern Regional Office (New York City).

VAN PATTEN, GRANT
Records, 1962, .17 cubic ft., 1 film, and 1 video (APAP–167)

Grant Van Patten worked in television production beginning in the mid-twentieth century in New York's Capital Region, including affiliate WRGB in Schenectady. Van Patten produced the documentary The South Mall in Albany: Hoax or Hope? for WRGB in 1962. The collection includes Van Patten's documentary The South Mall in Albany: Hoax or Hope? and material related to its production. The film is a production original composed of sound film, silent footage, and blank short pieces. During the blank sections there were shots taken by live studio cameras most often of the news reporter on the studio set. An access copy of the production is available for viewing in the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives Marcia Brown Research Room. It is best to have a copy of the script in hand when viewing the documentary.

VOUGHT, SABRA W., librarian, writer
Papers, 1924, undated .25 ft. (MSS–124)
Manuscripts of "The Story of the Mohawk Valley" (1924); addresses on history, undated; and two articles on school libraries, undated Vought was supervisor of school libraries in Albany, New York.

WAMC/NORTHEAST PUBLIC RADIO
Records, 1981-2000, 6,795 audio recordings (APAP–138)
WAMC/Northeast Public Radio is a regional public radio network serving parts of seven northeastern states and is a member of National Public Radio and an affiliate of Public Radio International. The station's programs cover a number of issues including education, politics and government, the environment, health and medical issues, women's issues, and others. Some of the programs in the collection include: 51 Percent, The Best of Our Knowledge, Capitol Connection, Dancing on the Air, The Environment Show, The Health Show, The Law Show, Legislative Gazette, Media Project, Vox Pop, and other regular and special broadcasts.

WILLISON, MALCOLM
Papers, 1958–1997, 14.9 cubic ft. (APAP–055)

This collection details the social activism of Malcolm Willison in New York State's Capital Region. As an active board member of several local groups, his papers contain minutes, financial statements and budgets, programming ideas, brochures, planning notes, articles and reports, and clippings that detail the evolution of the various organizations contained in the collection. Organizational newsletters and event flyers, course and conference information planned by Willison in his capacity on executive boards, and vast amounts of correspondence about any number of events and issues are also part of the scope of the collection.

WILLIAMS, DEACON ERNEST L.
Papers, 1950–2010, 21 cubic ft. (APAP–345)

A longtime Albany, NY resident, Deacon Ernest L. Williams (1923-2013) became a member of Mt. Calvary Baptist Church in 1946 and was ordained as a deacon in 1950. He served as the Chairman of the Deacon Board at Mt. Calvary for 33 years and as state photographer for the Empire Baptist Missionary Convention of New York. This collection reflects Deacon Williams' love of photography and contains hundreds of images and a small number of videos documenting events at Mt. Calvary Baptist Church, other Baptist churches, and within the Albany community and statewide Empire Baptist Convention.

WITTNER, LAWRENCE
Papers, 1977–2007, 3.16 cubic ft. (APAP–100)

The Wittner Collection is a personal and organizational history of the Albany Chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America, the United University Professions (UUP) Solidarity Committee, and other activist groups in the Capital Region of New York State. The Albany Chapter of Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) records (1980–87) and the United University Professions (UUP) Solidarity Committee (1986–99) records are primarily made up of minutes of meetings, agendas, plans of action, flyers, financial statements, correspondence, photographs and other documents that provide information about the inner workings of these organizations and issues that they were working on. The records also include issues of The Albany Anvil, the DSA's monthly newsletter, from May 1981 to December 1986 and documentation of UUP's support of labor struggles in the Capital District from 1986 to 1999. There is some information on Dr. Wittner's participation in other area groups such as the Labor–Religion Coalition and the Anti–Nuclear Alliance as well as work on the Leon Van Dyke, Ed Bloch and Nancy Burton political campaigns in the 1980s. The collection also contains twelve photographs of Dr. Wittner and some members of the DSA spanning from 1980–1985. Included are photos of demonstrations that took place under the auspices of these various groups and photos of an annual Eugene V. Debs Awards Dinner.

WOLCOTT, JOHN
Papers, 1954–1992, .7 cubic ft. (APAP–294)

The John Wolcott Papers contain materials related to the planning and advertising of Pinxter Festivals in Albany, New York. The collection includes festival posters, fliers, photographs, news clippings, hand written notes, correspondence and programs of similar festivals, including a early souvenir Tulip Fest envelope and information on craft vendors that were a major part of the festivities. Information about historic Pinxter festivals, Albany’s relevant laws and policies, and a small collection of colonial Dutch recipes were used in the planning process. John Wolcott was chairman of the Pinxter Committee of Albany, also called the People’s Pinxter Festival Committee, which coordinated the annual Pinxter Festival. The festival is known as Pinxter, Pinxter Sunday or Pinkster, Dutch for Pentecost, and as Whitsuntide, the English term for Pentecost.

WOMEN'S BUILDING
RECORDS, 1954-2000, 20.3 cubic ft. (APAP-292)

The Women's Building, Inc. is the women's community center of the Capital Region located at 79 Central Avenue in Albany, New York. The Holding Our Own (http://www.thewomensbuilding.org/) foundation owns and operates the Women's Building. The Women's Building's mission is to create an environment where differences are respected, leadership is shared, all women's strengths are recognized, all women's growth is supported, and a diversity of age, race, education, income, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, religion, and social background is seen as enriching. The organization's goals are to: provide a resource center and clearinghouse for information of interest to women; a multi-purpose space for cultural, informational, and recreational events of interest to women and children including meeting rooms, office rental for women's organizations, services, commercial, and professional enterprises, and a performance area; and to enhance a sense of community among women throughout the Capital Region. The collection includes records such as meeting minutes, grant applications, material related to the Women's Building's capital campaign, publications, program material, and other administrative material.

WOMAN'S CLUB OF ALBANY
Records, 1908, 1910–2010, 15 cubic ft. (MSS-139)

Founded in 1910, the Woman’s Club of Albany dedicated itself to helping women and children as well as improving conditions in its surrounding area. In 1913 the WCA was incorporated and in 1919, it purchased its Clubhouse, located at 725 Madison Avenue. By the 1930s and the beginning of the 1940s the WCA flourished; sufficient funds, an array of events and programs, and a membership of six hundred women, including honorary members. During the second half of the twentieth century, the WCA attempted to reinvent itself as membership dropped, the number of departments decreased, and the Club’s financial situation began a decline. Since 2004, the Woman’s Club of Albany has witnessed great improvement; membership is consistently increasing among women of all ages, the organization has undertaken restoration projects in the Clubhouse, and the WCA is once again involving itself in various philanthropic activities within the City of Albany and the surrounding Capital District. The collection includes one hundred years' worth of information about all aspects of the Club, including meeting minutes, annual reports, publications, scrapbooks, financial records, membership files, and records from events, programs hosted by the WCA.

WOMEN'S BUILDING
RECORDS, 1954-2000, 20.3 cubic ft. (APAP-292)

The Women's Building, Inc. is the women's community center of the Capital Region located at 79 Central Avenue in Albany, New York. The Holding Our Own (http://www.thewomensbuilding.org/) foundation owns and operates the Women's Building. The Women's Building's mission is to create an environment where differences are respected, leadership is shared, all women's strengths are recognized, all women's growth is supported, and a diversity of age, race, education, income, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, religion, and social background is seen as enriching. The organization's goals are to: provide a resource center and clearinghouse for information of interest to women; a multi-purpose space for cultural, informational, and recreational events of interest to women and children including meeting rooms, office rental for women's organizations, services, commercial, and professional enterprises, and a performance area; and to enhance a sense of community among women throughout the Capital Region. The collection includes records such as meeting minutes, grant applications, material related to the Women's Building's capital campaign, publications, program material, and other administrative material.

YOUNG WOMEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION OF ALBANY, NEW YORK
Records, 1863–1996, 20.21 cubic ft. (APAP–137)

The collection documents the history of the YWCA of Albany, which was founded in 1888 by a group of women led by Mrs. Acors Rathbun in order to provide housing and recreational activities for young women searching for work. Through the years, the organization expanded to include classes, childcare, athletics, essay contests, teen issue programs, and an annual awards dinner honoring women. Strengths include the extensive photographic material and meeting minutes from the board of trustees and directors. The collection is weakest at the beginning and end of the YWCA of Albany's existence.