Papers, 1773–1896, .5 ft. (MSS–034)
Deeds and other legal documents, 1773–87; correspondence, 1857–78; business records, 1854–92; and other papers of the Abbe (or Abbey) family––primarily Richard T. Abbe, his wife Helen Woods Abbe and daughter Olive Abbe Jones––of Hartford, Connecticut. Also papers of relatives, including letters between the Lomis family in Connecticut and the Roberts family in Cazenovia, New York, 1808–18, and letters of the Higby family, 1827–48. Richard T. Abbe corresponded with his agent, William A. Jones, in Pike County, Ohio, about the Civil War, land speculation, and family matters.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, OFFICE OF
Records, 1970–86, 10 ft. (UA–370)
Includes correspondence, memoranda, minutes of meetings, surveys, and printed materials relating to the 504 Program History (handicapped access), and the implementation of the Title IX Program. Also included in the record group are the minutes and correspondence of the University Council on Affirmative Action. The Office dates from the establishment of an Affirmative Action Program in 1971 in the Office of Personnel and was originally administered by the Equal Opportunity Coordinator.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, UNIVERSITY COMMISION FOR (UA-010.009)
Records, 1988-1997, 1 cubic ft. (UA-010.009)
The University Commission for Affirmative Action was created in November 1976, and was charged to “advise the President, recommend policy appropriate to Affirmative Action, and assist the Affirmative Action Office in setting appropriate goals and assuring their accomplishment.” The collection includes meeting minutes and commission files arranged chronologically.
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF UNIVERSITY WOMEN,
ALBANY, NEW YORK BRANCH
Records, 1921–1992, 5.9 cubic ft. (APAP-002)
Contains minutes of Executive Board, 1938–1965, 1984–1991; minutes of general meetings, 1926–1964, 1986–1990; President's file, 1921–1992 (bulk dates 1956–1962, 1981–1992); annual reports, 1940–1965; committee files, 1937–1990; correspondence, 1936–1965; bulletins, 1941–1990; yearbooks, 1913–1991; and scrapbooks and ephemera, 1936–1972. The Albany, New York Branch of AAUW merged in 1881 as an affiliate of Association of Collegiate Alumnae (ACA), and in 1890 became the Eastern Branch of ACA (under the direction of Melville Dewey, Secretary of the State University of New York, and Director of the State Library, but there are no records in the collection documenting Melville Dewey's involvement with the Albany Branch). Ultimately in 1921 it became the Albany Branch of AAUW. The Records document early work of the Eastern New York Branch of ACA in trade unions, child labor, war orphans, eugenics, and women's suffrage. By 1963, the AAUW, which still seeks to unify women alumnae of colleges and universities for practical educational work, turned its attentions toward community problems, cultural interests, education, world problems such as the economic and social effects of war, and political action, where its focuses remain today.
BELL, ABRAHAM, AND SON
Records, 1809–1917, 22 ft. (MSS–035)
Includes thirty-one letterpress copybooks kept daily by Abraham Bell and Son, a New York City merchant shipping firm specializing in the export of Southern cotton to the British Isles, 1837–54; thirty-nine volumes of account books, journals, correspondence, and other business records, 1809–88; a record book of Irish immigrants (mostly young women) and other passengers to the United States from Derry and Belfast, 1832–57. There are also correspondence, diaries, and financial records of other members of this Quaker family, James W. Bell and James C. Bell, 1832–1917; record books of Elizabeth Bell, 1858; and records of Bell Brothers, a money-lending business in Yonkers, New York, 1889–95.
Records, 1940–1991, .4 cubic ft. (APAP–170)
Bernard Bruton served in the armed forces during World War II and was a journalist and publicist. He worked to repeal California's anti-abortion law during Ronald Reagan's tenure as governor. He wrote for the Daily Worker and other publications. The collection includes material related to his service in WWII and newspaper articles he wrote in opposition to anti-abortion laws.
BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL WOMEN'S CLUB
OF ALBANY, NEW YORK
Records, 1934–1988, 2.3 cubic ft. (APAP-064)
The collection includes minutes of board of directors' meetings, constitution and by–laws, publications, photographs, news clippings, and other materials pertaining to the Albany, New York chapter of the Business and Professional Women's Club of New York State, Inc. The Albany club was founded in 1934 "to elevate the standards for women in business and in the professions" and "extend opportunities to business and professional women through education along lines of industrial, scientific, and vocational activities."
BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL WOMEN'S CLUB
OF NEW YORK STATE, INC.
Records, 1921–2006, 3.99 cubic ft. (APAP-117)
These records document the history of the Business and Professional Women's Clubs of New York State, Inc. (BPWNYS). The collection includes the records of the state board meeting, annual legislative conference, annual convention, and publications produced by the Club. There are also a few photographs. The records and related materials concerning the annual legislative conferences and the annual state and national conventions are extensive. The publications series includes many issues of the BPWNYS's official magazine The Nike.
BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL WOMEN'S CLUB
OF SCHENECTADY, NEW YORK
Records, 1927–2006, 37 cubic ft. (APAP-218)
These records document the history of the Business and Professional Women's Clubs of Schenectady, NY. The collection includes meeting minutes, news clippings, publications, programs, scrapbooks detailing the club's activities and accomplishments, and photographs. The Schenectady Club was organized in 1927. The collection also includes records retained by Club members involved in BPW activities at the district and state levels. The collection is not yet arranged and described.
Records, 1992–2006, 2.29 cubic ft. and 68 mb of electronic records (APAP–164)
Campus Action was formed in April 1992 as a multicultural, multi-issue organization with a mission to promote activism and support activist organizations on university campuses in New York’s Capital Region. It maintained eight chapters representing individual campuses as well as a central office at the Social Justice Center in Albany. The records of Campus Action contain materials collected and generated by the organization including both paper documents and electronic records. These materials include minutes, correspondence, publications, grant applications, webpages, fliers, leaflets and other handouts. The collection holds material from the Campus Action central office and does not contain material specific to the individual chapters of Campus Action. Campus Action created a number of publications for campus distribution. These include the newsletter Campus Action News, two study guides, and directories of local activist organizations and internships. These are all represented in the collection, along with materials from the biannual conferences held to help organize activism, primarily as paper documents with some additional later material in electronic form. The case of Ali Yaghi, an Albany resident and owner of a pizza shop who was arrested just days after 9/11, is also documented in the collection.
CAPITAL AREA COUNCIL OF CHURCHES
Records, 1941–2002, 9 cubic ft. (APAP–129)
The Capital Area Council of Churches (CACC) was founded in 1941. The federation was intended to encompass, absorb, coordinate and extend the community service and ministry functions of several existing organizations. The majority of records in this collection are board minutes (with organizational constitutions, Director's Reports, and some committee minutes) reports, newsletters, administrative files, subject files, and some correspondence. There is also a collection of clippings from local newspapers. Well structured documentation, in the form of meeting minutes, of the formative period of the organization allow for a determination of the principle factors, both human and situational, for the genesis of the CACC. There are numerous sources (minutes, newsletters, annual reports) of the names of individuals and the roles they played in the organization; names, locations, size, relative prosperity and denomination of member congregations; and information pertaining to the other groups, individuals, and organizations which provided services in the Capital District. Many of the records show the degree to which the organization was concerned and involved with issues and events of local, national and international concern including World War II, the anti-Communist fervor, the Civil Rights Movement, the Abortion debate, the evolution of the State University of New York system, urban blight, and fair housing.
CAUCUS ON WOMEN'S RIGHTS AT SUNY, ALBANY CHAPTER
Records, 1970–1976, .17 cubic ft. (UA-XXX)
The Caucus on Women's Rights at SUNY was organized in Syracuse, New York in June 1970. Includes newsletters, position statements, and other records of the Caucus and the University of Albany chapter. The issues addressed by the Caucus included equal compensation and benefits, affirmative action, parental leave, health and retirement benefits, various student concerns, and part–time employment.
COMMITTEE FOR PROGRESSIVE LEGISLATION
Records, 1950-1993, 1.2 cubic ft. (APAP-123)
The Committee for Progressive Legislation was a group of Unitarian women who raised a liberal religious voice in politics by enlisting other members of the Albany and Schenectady First Unitarian Universalist Societies and working together with other organizations interested in dealing with social problems. The group focused on the repeal of New York State's abortion law and state funds for family planning clinics. Included in the collection are administrative files, records of the group's legislative interests, and research of social issues. Documentation on family planning matters as well as other social welfare issues is abundant in the collection. The numerous news clippings on abortion rights and family planning articles as well as correspondence between chair Kay Dingle and New York State legislators is a strong point of the collection.
COMPARATIVE DEVELOPMENT STUDIES CENTER
Records, 1968–79, 20 ft. (UA–680.1)
Correspondence, 1972–83; material on the internship program, 1973–77; survey questionnaires; proposal on solid waste disposal facilities; course syllabi; audio tapes; and material on public affairs programs. Includes background data on three major areas of study: (1) the Legislative Improvement Project, "Legislative Development," 1968–78, with correspondence, conference papers, studies, and bibliographies on legislative development in the United States and developing countries, and audio tapes and computer tapes from 1968–71 on abortion, voting age, and other key issues; (2) "Validity of Our States in Our Federal System," 1972, measuring the relative efficiency of federal and state governmental structures; and (3) "Collective Bargaining Study," 1978, with graphs pertaining to collective bargaining, its causes and effects. A unit of the Graduate School of Public Affairs, the Comparative Development Studies Center was established in 1970 to engage in research and program activities relating to the concept of development in western was well as emerging nations by focusing research in the fields of Public Administration, Political Science, and Political Economy.
CONSERVATIVE PARTY OF NEW YORK STATE (APAP-060)
Records, 1961–1988, 40.5 cubic ft. (APAP–060)
Subject files, correspondence, political literature, and other records kept for the chairs of the New York State Conservative Party: Kieran O'Doherty, 1962; J. Daniel Mahoney, 1962–86; and Serphin Maltese, 1986–88. The records document efforts to create the party in 1961 and its formal establishment as the Freedom Party in 1962 by J. Daniel Mahoney, Kieran O'Doherty, and others in protest against domination of the New York State Republican Party by its liberal wing headed by Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller and Senator Jacob K. Javits. The records document the political campaigns of Conservative Party candidates for public office, including writer William F. Buckley, Jr. and Senator James Buckley. The collection includes material related to women in the Subject Files series.
PAPERS, 1927–2000, 44.4 cubic ft. (APAP-101)
The collection includes material documenting the National March on Washington, Women's Encampment, Elword Productions, Gay Games, Full Circle Festival: Equinox '89, Lesbian & Gay Film & Video Festival, Rhythm Fest, and other events and groups.
CROSS, VINCENT (APAP-183)
Papers, 1986–1999, .17 cubic ft. (APAP–183)
The collection contains material related to Dr. Anna Perkins, a doctor in Westerlo and the surrounding Hilltowns in New York from the 1920s-1980s. A significant part of the collection is the manuscript produced by Cross about Dr. Perkins.
DANSKY, STEVEN F.
PAPERS, 1968-2006, .66 cubic ft. (APAP-289)
Steven F. Dansky, a long-time political activist and writer, was a founder of the modern gay liberation movement in 1969. His writing spans more than three decades and has been cited in nearly every early book on gay liberation. As a committed profeminist, his writing has been reviewed in The New York Times by Martin Duberman and the Village Voice by Jill Johnston. He has written for Come out!, The New York Free Press, I-Kon, Double-F: A Magazine of Effeminism, SoHo Weekly News, Basta, and Faggotry. As a poet, he has read at the Hunter College Gallery, Matrix Theater, I-Kon Bookstore, and A Different Drummer. The collection includes magazines, correspondence, photographs, and unpublished writings from Steven Dansky's work with the effeminist and gay liberation movement.
Papers, circa 1969-1984, 1.2 cubic ft. (APAP-215)
The collection includes materials related to the women's movement with an emphasis on the Capital Region of New York. DeSole collected material related to projects in Albany, speeches, and publications. Records of particular interest are DeSole's speeches and the MA thesis "Feminism in the Seventies: A Study of the Woemn’s Liberation Movement of Albany, New York, 1969-1979" by Margaret Boys of Goddard College in August 1980. Also included are newsletters, journals, and periodicals. Note that only scattered issues for most of these publications are available in the collection.
EMPIRE STATE FEDERATION OF WOMEN'S
Records, 1938–1991, 3.46 cubic ft. (APAP-041)
Includes minutes of board meetings, 1938–1965, 1973–1985; president's correspondence, 1963–1964, 1973–1977; financial and membership records, 1948–1965; and annual convention programs, 1956–1987. This association of African American women's clubs in New York State was founded in 1908 in Brooklyn, New York to promote the education of women, protect the rights of working women and children, advance the quality of family life, and contribute to interracial understanding. The federation is affiliated with the National Association of Colored Women's Clubs and the Northeast Federation of Women's Clubs.
FAMILY PLANNING ADVOCATES OF NEW YORK
Records, 1976–1990, 1.66 cubic ft. (APAP-044)
Contains minutes, 1977–1989; newsletters, 1976–1990, and publications, 1984–1990. Originally opened in 1976 as the Family Planning Public Affairs Office and sponsored by all affiliates of Planned Parenthood of New York State, Family Planning Advocates was reorganized in 1977 as a statewide membership organization dedicated to promoting abortion rights, pro–choice legislation, and reproductive health services.
Papers, 1971–1993, .5 cubic ft. (APAP-085)
The collection includes materials related to the women's issues with a particular emphasis on the University at Albany, SUNY. Records of particular interest are those of Albany Women Against Rape, Capital District Women, and the Caucus on Women's Rights at SUNY. Also included are issues of the publication The Spokeswoman (1971-1981).
GREEN, ALICE P.
Papers, 1960–2001, 1.89 cubic ft. (APAP-136)
The collection is particularly strong in following Dr. Green's media appearances throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Issues of The South End Scene, a newspaper Dr. Green founded as executive director of the Albany-based youth and family services center the Trinity Institution are also included in the collection. The collection contains papers and other materials relating to Dr. Green's 1998 run for Lieutenant Governor of New York State on the Green Party ticket. The collection also follows the progress of Law Never Here, a book Dr. Green co-wrote with Dr. Frankie Bailey which was published in 1999. Items of interest are found in the small correspondence series, which includes letters from New York Senator and former First Lady, Hillary Rodham Clinton, former mayor of New York, Thomas Whalen III, and comedian Richard Pryor.
Papers, 1960–1970, .2 cubic ft. (APAP-169)
Mary Kuykendall was a resident of Schenectady, New York and her papers include biographical and genealogical material.
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF ALBANY COUNTY
Records, 1938–2001, 31.47 cubic ft. (APAP-128)
The records of the League of Women Voters of Albany County (LWVAC), include material produced by the LWVAC as well as material that was produced by the League of Women Voters of New York State and the League of Women Voters of the United States. The most comprehensive series in the collection is the Administrative Files. There are meeting minutes, annual reports, and Board of Directors lists from 1940-2001. A large portion of the LWVAC collection relates to the two main purposes of the organization: voter service and "study and action." Records relating to voter service include pamphlets with information about candidates and citizen voting rights published by the LWVAC and material used to increase voter participation. Records related to "study and action" include material used by the LWVAC to inform citizens about public policy issues locally, statewide, and nationally. A strength of the LWVAC collection is the amount of material related to various public policy issues and how they affected the local community.
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF RENSSELAER COUNTY
Records, 1914–2007, 9.03 cubic ft. (APAP-103)
The records contain information about the history and activities of the LWVRC since 1939 and up to the present. The collection includes board and general meeting minutes and agendas, treasurers' reports, the results of various studies conducted by the organization, photographs, videos of workshops and debates and audio tapes of oral histories of former members' participation in the League. Publications put out by the League, either locally or nationally, including monthly Bulletins and Calendars, The Voter (a monthly newsletter) and Election and Voter Guides published for local elections, are a valuable part of the collection. Though items in the collection span from 1914 to the present, the bulk of information spans the late 1950s through the 1980s.
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF SARATOGA COUNTY
RECORDS, 1965–2010, 4.2 cubic ft. (APAP-339)
Founded in 1920, the League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization that informs citizens about government, and encourages participation with and influences public policy through education and advocacy. The League has 150,000 plus members and supporters in the United States, with leagues in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, Washington, D.C., the Virgin Islands and Hong Kong. In New York State, there are 60 local leagues with approximately 8000 members. The League of Women Voters of Saratoga County (formerly the League of Women Voters, Saratoga Springs Area) formed in early 1965. This collection documents the day-to-day activities of this local league from its founding with 59 members through the current day. The collection contains annual meeting booklets, meeting minutes, correspondence, financial statements, newsletters, education and advocacy materials, records of special projects and related reports, and membership lists. There is a small amount of video, predominantly of “Meet the Candidates” nights and other special events.
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF SCHENECTADY COUNTY
Records, 1925–2004, 10 cubic ft. (APAP–210)
On April 30, 1925, Mrs. Charles Richmond, wife of the president of Union College, invited approximately fifty women to her home for a talk by Mrs. F.W. Slade, chairman of the New York State League of Women Voters. After Slade's talk, the women at the meeting decided to elect officers and adopt by-laws thereby forming the Schenectady County League of Women Voters (later renamed League of Women Voters, Schenectady County). The collection contains information about the history and activities of the League from 1925 to the present. The collection includes meeting minutes and agendas, annual reports, newsletters, scrapbooks, publications, and subject files.
Papers, circa 1967-1986, 3 cubic ft. (APAP-051)
The collection includes materials related to the women's movement and lesbians with an emphasis on the Capital Region of New York, but also including material from throughout the United States. Lurie collected photographs from Women's Day in Albany, posters, material related to projects in Albany, correspondence, drafts of manuscripts, and Lurie's own speeches. Also included are pamphlets, newsletters, journals, and periodicals.
M. C. LAWTON CIVIC AND CULTURAL CLUB
Records, 1921–1995, 1.33 cubic ft. (APAP-027)
Contains minute books and membership rosters, 1927–1977; correspondence, 1921–1977; and official publications, 1954–1987. In 1919, this African-American women's club was founded in Albany, New York with the goal of "community service, educational advancement, race relations and self development" by sponsoring lectures by Cullen and other prominent people and protesting housing discrimination. It was named after Maria C. Lawton, president of the Empire State Federation of Women's Clubs, 1916–1926, with which it has always been affiliated.
MELICH, TANYA M.
Papers, 1956–2009, 31.4 cubic ft. (APAP-079)
The Tanya Melich Papers are particularly strong in documenting the political scene in the 1960s and 1970s both nationally and within New York State. The Papers include extensive reports related to political candidates, voting statistics, and political and social issues. The vast amount of material comes from her work on campaigns, the ABC-News Election Unit, and the Ripon Society. The main focus of the collection is the Republican Party's policies, candidates, and strategies. The Papers also document Melich's concern and work regarding relevant social issues. Her work with the New York City Partnership, United States Commission on Civil Rights New York State Advisory Board, and International Women's Year are documented in the collection. Her interest in women's rights, equality, and reproductive freedom can be assessed through the numerous folders in the Subject Files, her writings, and the collection of publications regarding these issues.
MENANDS BOOK CLUB (MSS-138)
Records, 1881–2006, .67 cubic ft. (MSS–138)
The collection predominantly consists of paper-handouts and mini-booklets. In addition, there are some newspaper clippings and both ledger and composition notebooks to record meetings. There are guidebooks to the village of Menands anniversary celebrations in the collection as well. Please note there are gaps in the collection record in the 1940s and then again in the 1960s and 1970s, with the meeting program guides.
NATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR WOMEN--ALBANY (N.Y.) CHAPTER
Records, 1971–2005, 5.0 cubic ft. (APAP-174)
The collection includes correspondence, minutes, by-laws, financial reports, subject files on women's issues, and printed materials pertaining to NOW with particular strength in documenting the Albany and New York State chapters. The records of this women's organization pertain to sexual discrimination in education and employment, reproductive rights, gay and lesbian rights, the Equal Rights Amendment, and other gender-related issues.
NATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR WOMEN--NEW
Records, 1966–1988, 23.75 cubic ft. (APAP-029)
Includes correspondence, minutes, by-laws, financial reports, documentation of lobbying activities, subject files on women's issues, and printed materials pertaining to NOW--New York State, founded in 1974, the state affiliate of NOW, which was founded in Washington, D.C., in 1966. The records of this women's organization pertain to sexual discrimination in education and employment, reproductive rights, gay and lesbian rights, the Equal Rights Amendment, and other gender issues. The records are organized into five series: subject files, 1968–1988; issues files, 1966–1988; lobbyists' files, 1976–1985; chapter newsletter file, 1966–1985; and a feminist publications collection, 1966–1985.
NEW YORK REPUBLICAN STATE COMMITTEE
Records, 1888–2001, 5.39 cubic ft., 22 reels of film, and 122 bound volumes (APAP–119)
The records of the New York Republican State Committee document the activities of this organization and its role as the coordinator of state and federal elections in New York from 1888–1994. This record group contains meeting agendas and minutes, political literature, speeches, correspondence, photographs, political films, membership lists, and delegate information for state and national conventions. Also included are materials related to women becoming active in the party and the party's Women's Division.
NURSING, SCHOOL OF
Records, 1967–79, 16 ft. (UA–629)
Includes annual reports, 1967–79; minutes, 1969–78; admission materials, 1970–75; course descriptions, syllabi and assignments, 1970–79; a history of the school, 1975; workshop materials, 1975–79; and newspaper clippings and other material about the closing of the school, 1976–79. The School of Nursing opened in 1967 and closed in 1979.
PAGE, CAROLINE SMITH, student, educator
Family Papers, 1780–2000, .17 cubic ft. (UA–802.008)
The Caroline Smith Page papers consists of a nine page typed transcription of the autobiography of Caroline Smith Page, two photographs of Caroline Smith Page, ca. 1867 and 1890, a photo of Stephen R. Page ca. 1890, a photo of the Page farmstead in Boone, Iowa, a copy of Stephen Rice Page's obituary from the Boone County Democrat, August 29, 1894, and the transmittal letter of Anne and Edward McCarthy accompanying the deposit. There is a brief description of Caroline Smith’s education in the first class of the New York State Normal School at Albany, where she graduated in September 1845, and her subsequent teaching in public school in Troy, NY for four years. Of particular interest to researchers is Caroline Page Smith’s description of racial relations in the South (5 typescript pages) after being hired to teach in the Natchez Institute in Mississippi in 1849. This collection was digitized to allow all researchers online access to its contents through the online finding aid.
PERSICO, JOSEPH E.
Papers, 1964–1981, 25.09 cubic ft. (APAP–030)
The collection is arranged in three general series. The first contains Persico's public papers, including press releases, transcripts of press conferences, television and radio interviews, and drafts of speeches written by Persico for Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller between 1964 and 1976. This material covers a wide range of topics including the role of women in Republican politics, the workforce, and society in general. The second series contains the notes, speech and manuscript drafts, news clippings, and memoranda which comprise Persico's private subject files for reference in his writing of The Imperial Rockefeller, material ranging form approximately 1966–1981. The third series contains various writings from 1950s-1990s and personal documents including correspondence, speeches, and other articles.
PINE HILLS FORTNIGHTLY CLUB
Records, c. 1898–2002, 2.33 cubic ft. (APAP-031)
Contains constitutions, c. 1898, 1903, 1927–1991; programs, 1904–1913 and Yearbooks, 1913–1999; secretary's minutes, 1902–1995 (with gaps); budgets, 1913–1922, 1935–1936, 1928–1960, 1963–1969 (proposed budget, 1992–1993); and papers written by members and presented to the membership, 1911–1998 (scattered). Subject files include Club anniversary programs, attendance records, budgets, duties and responsibilities of certain officers and committees, membership recommendations, memorials, miscellaneous papers, news clippings, Program Committee papers, yearly themes for research 1900–1993, and annual Spring Luncheon Programs. The Pine Hills Fortnightly Club was founded in the Albany, New York area in 1898 by Mary M. Shaw and a group of women as a literary and social club. Members, most of whom are college educated, met on alternate Monday afternoons to deliver papers around a central theme that involves the study of history, literature, and art. The major part of the collection is devoted to the originals or copies of the papers delivered by members at the bi-weekly meetings.
Papers, 1982–1992, 4.18 cubic ft. (APAP-045)
Papers include press kits for campaign workers; newsletters; press releases; and press coverage in the form of news clippings. Subject files are predominantly news clippings on topics such as homosexuality, child abuse, gay rights, Planned Parenthood, reproductive issues, and state law. Libby Post was press secretary and campaign manager for a number of Democratic politicians and organizations from the Albany, New York. Post worked for the campaigns of Edward Bloch (APAP-115) for Congress in 1984 and 1987. She was press secretary for New York State Assembly Representative May W. Newburger and Sheila Healy, the 6th District Democrat for Albany County Legislature. Post was media coordinator for Family Planning Advocates of New York State, 1985–1987 and for the Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Inc., 1987. Post worked for the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment, for gay rights, and against domestic violence as part of her private activist work.
PRESIDENT'S TASK FORCE ON WOMEN'S SAFETY
Records, 1986–1998, 1 cubic ft. (UA–010.010)
The Task Force On Women's Safety was conceived in November 1979 in response to a series of assaults against women in Pine Hills, an Albany neighborhood where many students reside. Subsequently, it was renamed "The President's Task Force on Women's Safety," and President Vincent O'Leary formalized it as an ad hoc committee in 1980. The Task Force sought to "insure that the University at Albany is an environment in which all women can study and work safely" by setting directions for existing and proposed programs, reviewing efficacy of existing and proposed programs, and recommending policies to the President. The records are arranged chronologically and include newspaper clippings, pamphlets, annual reports, safety surveys, newsletters, memos, and minutes.
Papers, 1941–1998, 50.89 cubic ft. (APAP-102)
A portion of the finding aid is now available documenting Quirini's work at General Electric (GE) in Schenectady, her involvement with UE and IUE Local 301 the union at the GE plant, and her work with community organizations in Schenectady.
Papers, 1970s–1990, 1 cubic ft. (APAP–154)
The collection includes material collected by Rabkin much of which relates to discrimination. Included are pamphlets, news articles, magazines and other publications, correspondence, and other notes.
Papers, circa 1970-1980, 1.4 cubic ft. (APAP–216)
The collection includes materials related to the women's issues with a particular emphasis on the University at Albany, SUNY. Records of particular interest are those of the Equal Employment Opportunity Advisory Committee, Capital District Women, and the Caucus on Women's Rights at SUNY.
SOCIAL JUSTICE CENTER
Records, 1981-2001, 4.3 cubic feet, 19 VHS tapes, approximately 600 KB of electronic records (APAP–177)
The Social Justice Center (SJC) was formed in 1981 by an alliance of non-profit activist organizations in order to provide a central location, office space, and basic services for activist groups in Albany, New York. Projects of the Center include the Dismantling Racism project, which sponsors workshops to address the roots of racial prejudice, the PCB/Environmental Health project, which works to educate the community about potential toxins, and the Infoshop, a lending library that stocks progressive periodicals and books. The records of the Social Justice Center include financial records, meeting minutes, publications, fliers, grant proposals, photographs, and correspondence. There are also materials generated by the operation of the store Peace Offerings. The history, goals, and operations of the organization are well represented in the Administrative Files series. Histories of the center can be found in the 1991 board retreat material. The Peace Offering series primarily contains promotional materials such as signs and displays. There is little material in this collection from the member groups of the SJC. There is a small amount of administrative materials from the Centro de Progresso group and a folder of materials from the creation of the Institute for Farmworker Justice.
STOCKING BROWN, PATRICIA
Papers, 1970–2000, 2 cubic ft. (APAP–203)
Patricia Stocking Brown was the first science faculty member at Siena College and a co-founder of Capital Region Action Against Breast Cancer! -- a grassroots organization committed to making the eradication of breast cancer a priority through education and advocacy, to empowering women and men to participate fully in decisions relating to breast cancer, and to promoting and focusing research into the causes, prevention, treatment, and cure of breast cancer.
VERSATILE CLUB OF TROY, NY
Records, 1936–1989, .4 cubic ft. (APAP-040)
Contains drafts of official meeting minutes, 1945–1988; anniversary brochures and histories, 1956, 1982; by-laws, 1939, 1986; financial documents, 1950–1988; some photographs; social programs; biographical statements about members. Organized in 1931 as the Girls' Versatile Club of Troy under the direction of Rev. D. H. White of the A.M.E. Zion Church to strengthen "religious ties" and "provide an outlet for good clean fun," the club adopted its present name in 1947. This African-American women's social club has contributed to church repairs, sponsored African-American entertainers, provided scholarship support for college students and, since the 1960s, sponsored "Ladies of Leisure and Career Women's Luncheons," bringing major African-American speakers to the area.
WAMC/NORTHEAST PUBLIC RADIO
Records, 1981-2000, 6,795 audio recordings (APAP–138)
WAMC/Northeast Public Radio is a regional public radio network serving parts of seven northeastern states and is a member of National Public Radio and an affiliate of Public Radio International. The station's programs cover a number of issues including education, politics and government, the environment, health and medical issues, women's issues, and others. Some of the programs in the collection include: 51 Percent, The Best of Our Knowledge, Capitol Connection, Dancing on the Air, The Environment Show, The Health Show, The Law Show, Legislative Gazette, Media Project, Vox Pop, and other regular and special broadcasts.
WHITTLESEY, EUNICE BAIRD
Papers, 1924–2001, 1.88 cubic ft. (APAP-145)
The bulk of this collection consists of documents created by the New York Republican State Committee. There are numerous programs from the state and national dinners and conventions Whittlesey attended. It also contains the letters Whittlesey received from members of the state and the national parties, handbooks used by members of the state and national parties, New York Republican State Committee's and National Republican Committee's press releases and news clippings, and documents created by the Presidential Electors of 1984. The correspondence covers the years 1962–1996. The Projects Series includes material from her work with ABATES, Housewives for Rockefeller, and the Volunteer's Tie Line. The Alumni Association Series contains photocopies of original documents that can be found stored along with other memorabilia of the University at Albany class of 1944.
WOMAN'S CLUB OF ALBANY
Records, 1908, 1910–2010, 15 cubic ft. (MSS-139)
Founded in 1910, the Woman’s Club of Albany dedicated itself to helping women and children as well as improving conditions in its surrounding area. In 1913 the WCA was incorporated and in 1919, it purchased its Clubhouse, located at 725 Madison Avenue. By the 1930s and the beginning of the 1940s the WCA flourished; sufficient funds, an array of events and programs, and a membership of six hundred women, including honorary members. During the second half of the twentieth century, the WCA attempted to reinvent itself as membership dropped, the number of departments decreased, and the Club’s financial situation began a decline. Since 2004, the Woman’s Club of Albany has witnessed great improvement; membership is consistently increasing among women of all ages, the organization has undertaken restoration projects in the Clubhouse, and the WCA is once again involving itself in various philanthropic activities within the City of Albany and the surrounding Capital District. The collection includes one hundred years' worth of information about all aspects of the Club, including meeting minutes, annual reports, publications, scrapbooks, financial records, membership files, and records from events, programs hosted by the WCA.
WOMEN IN GOVERNMENT, CENTER FOR
Records, 1978–88, 50 ft. (UA–685)
Minutes and correspondence of board of directors, 1978–85; correspondence of director, 1978–85; publications, 1978–88; documentation of educational programs, 1978–86; and documentation and supporting materials for studies: (1) "Barriers to Promotion through Managerial Examination in New York State," 1985; microfilm of "New York State Comparable Pay Study" questionnaires and printouts, 1986. A division of the School of Social Welfare, the center was established in 1978 to identify and alleviate structural barriers to women in New York State government. The mission of the center was expanded in the 1980s to include consulting with New York City, other state governments, and the Canadian Government.
RECORDS, 1954-2000, 20.3 cubic ft. (APAP-292)
The Women's Building, Inc. is the women's community center of the Capital Region located at 79 Central Avenue in Albany, New York. The Holding Our Own (http://www.thewomensbuilding.org/) foundation owns and operates the Women's Building. The Women's Building's mission is to create an environment where differences are respected, leadership is shared, all women's strengths are recognized, all women's growth is supported, and a diversity of age, race, education, income, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, religion, and social background is seen as enriching. The organization's goals are to: provide a resource center and clearinghouse for information of interest to women; a multi-purpose space for cultural, informational, and recreational events of interest to women and children including meeting rooms, office rental for women's organizations, services, commercial, and professional enterprises, and a performance area; and to enhance a sense of community among women throughout the Capital Region. The collection includes records such as meeting minutes, grant applications, material related to the Women's Building's capital campaign, publications, program material, and other administrative material.
WOMEN'S PRESS CLUB OF NEW YORK STATE
Records, 1984–1989, .17 cubic ft. (MSS-139)
The Women's Press Club of New York State, Inc. was organized in 1966 by a group of women journalists to "foster high standards among its members through career development and recognition, to promote camaraderie among members and to conduct philanthropic and educational activities." The Women's Press Club of New York State, Inc. records include sporadic administrative and publicity materials from 1984 through 1989. The collection includes some administrative materials such as meeting minutes, financial reports, and membership directories. The press releases, news clippings and the program folder document seminars and events hosted by the Club. The newsletters produced for members provide the most information about the organization and how it functions.
WOMEN'S STUDIES, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1972– , .3 ft. (UA–600.5)
Includes memoranda, descriptions of courses, bulletins, course proposals, announcements, and planning documents and minutes of the Women's Studies Advisory Committee, 1976–79.
WOMEN'S STUDIES ORAL HISTORY PROJECT
Recordings and Transcipts, 1997, .165 ft. (UA–XXX.022)
Consists of cassette recordings and transcriptions of interviews documenting the creation of the Women's Studies Program at the then State University of New York at Albany in the 1970's. The interviews were conducted, with one exception, by Judith Hudson, retiring University Libraries bibliographer for Women's Studies.
YWCA OF ALBANY, NEW YORK
Records, 1863–1996, 20.21 cubic ft. (APAP-137)
The collection documents the history of the YWCA of Albany, which was founded in 1888 by a group of women led by Mrs. Acors Rathbun in order to provide housing and recreational activities for young women searching for work. Through the years, the organization expanded to include classes, childcare, athletics, essay contests, teen issue programs, and an annual awards dinner honoring women. Strengths include the extensive photographic material and meeting minutes from the board of trustees and directors. The collection is weakest at the beginning and end of the YWCA of Albany's existence.