M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives
M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives About these images M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives

UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES - Construction & Buildings

For reference queries contact the Grenander Department Reference staff or (518)-437-3935.

CAMPUS CONSTRUCTION
Collection, 1961–88, 130 ft. (UA–950.005)
Correspondence, deeds, appraisal reports, legal depositions, maps, and photographs created by the Bureau of Rights and Ways of the NYS Department of Public Works, NYS Department of Audit and Control, and the NYS Legal Department relating to the purchase of land for the uptown campus of the University at Albany, 1961–72; working architectural drawings of the uptown campus by the New York City firm of Edward Durrell Stone Associates, 1962–70; documentation of the physical construction of the uptown campus, 1962–70; planning documents for proposed uptown campus expansion, 1974; and working architectural drawings of Hawley Library and of the remodeling of the University Libraries, 1936–88. Construction photographs of the uptown campus are found in the University Archives Photograph Collection. A small number of photographs are available online in the University at Albany Libraries' Digital Collections Database. The majority of the images available online document the University at Albany's Uptown Campus in the 1970s and 1980s as well as students from the classes of 1847 through 1980.

FACILITIES AND PHYSICAL PLANT, OFFICE OF [Asst. VP for Facilities Management and Physical Plant]
Records, 11 ft. (UA–331)
Includes budget files, 1983–86; and subject files for the office which includes several constituent bodies, including: Real Estate, Physical Plant Department (including Residence Hall Maintenance and Utilities Branch, HVAC), Fiscal Management, Environmental Health and Safety, Facilities Acquisition, Building and Institutional Services, Downtown Campus Operations, Pest Control, and the Vehicle Operations Center.

KOLKER, HARRY
Papers, 1942-45, 1969-1980, approx. 3,000 slides (UA–902.067)
Consists primarily of color slides taken by Harry Kolker while he was employed, 1969-80, in the Educational Communication Center of the State University of New York at Albany (SUNYA), now known as the University at Albany, SUNY. The slides are primarily of the buildings and grounds of the SUNYA Uptown Campus, but also contain some photos of the Downtown Campus and Alumni Quadrangle buildings. Prominently featured are photos of the Academic Podium, the Water Tower and Alumni Carillon, Academic Podium water fountains, aerial photos of the Uptown Campus, some construction photos of the campus, photos of the Performing Arts Center, Physics Laboratory, and signage on the Uptown Campus buildings. Also included are a number of slides used by the Educational Communication Center in films produced for the University academic departments. There are also a number of photos of SUNY Cortland, of Albany, N.Y., and of a July 1975 Syracuse University sponsored conference at Sagamore Great Camp at Racket Lake, N.Y. In addition, there are photos of the Jewish Community in Albany and Schenectady, N.Y. Of special interest are 140 slides of Mr. Kolker's service in the Pacific Ocean during World War II including his training as an Air Force radio operator at Scott Field, Illinois; and photos of air force bases in Brisbane, Australia; Amberly Air Force Base, Australia; Nichols Field, Manila, Phillipines; Layete; Biak Nei, Guinea; and Honolulu.

STATE UNIVERSITY CONSTRUCTION FUND
Records, 1961–1979, .88 cubic ft. (APAP–097)
The State University Construction Fund was established by the Governor and the Legislature of New York as a public benefit corporation within the State University to plan, design, construct and provide financing for facilities required by the State University of New York to meet academic program and enrollment needs. As a result of the creation of the fund and in response to an urgent need to make higher education opportunities available to additional thousands of New Yorkers, the largest university building program in history was launched in New York State. The collection contains campus plans for the State University of New York (SUNY) System construction in the 1960s and 1970s. Progress reports and charts in each report include the dates that architects, sketches and locations for construction were approved. The charts also provide the dates construction began for each campus in the SUNY System. The collection includes annual reports from 1964 through 1979. These provide the budget for construction and the yearly progress for each facility. The annual report for the year 1972 celebrates the first ten years of the State University Construction Fund and includes helpful retrospective information. A review of the capital program for all state universities from 1975 to 1976 and 1976 to 1977 is included in the collection and reviews of the Albany campus are available from 1971 through 1975.



Reference E-mail | Find Collections | Find Other Historical Resources
About the Department | Department Services and Policies
View Exhibits | View Blog
Department Home Page

Last updated August 21, 2007

Valid XHTML 1.0!