About the IMC
Innovate Make Create
The IMC of the University Libraries is a technology rich environment that provides spaces, technology, workshops, consultation, and technical support to enable students, faculty, and staff to integrate media and technology into their teaching, learning, and research. The IMC works closely with students to help them develop skills using media technologies and content that are essential for academic success, professional development, and civic engagement.
The IMC is located on the basement level of the University Library. It offers an innovative learning environment and powerful educational tools to enhance teaching and learning through the use of new instructional technologies. The IMC is a resource featuring both production and playback facilities.
Borrowing and Access Eligibility
Users of the IMC lab must log onto the computers with their UAlbany user name and password. Guests are not allowed to use the IMC Macs and Windows computers. Workstations may be reserved for use. Drop by the service desk to request a reservation or Contact us.
A wide range of equipment is available for loan if you are currently an eligible registered borrower of the Library and a University faculty/staff member or student. Courtesy borrowers and borrowers with significant fines are not eligible.
What's in the Lab
For a list of applications, click here
- 18 Windows 7 machines; one workstation is equipped for persons with disabilities.
- 14 iMacs; two iMacs support analog to digital video conversion and two iMacs have midi keyboards
- 1 Mac Pro "Quad Core" 3.7 (Late 2013)
- Flatbed scanners with ADF and transparency adapters. Two scanners will scan a document up to size A3 (16.5" x 11.7").
- 1 scanner for 35mm film negatives and slides
- Braille Embosser (on one machine)
- Color laser printer (fee)
- Black and white laser printer (fee)
The IMC professional staff are available for consultation on your project. Our staff and students provide assistance with image editing, course projects, audio and video production and editing, and more. Go directly to our Contact page to connect with staff.
The IMC offers a wide range of free iLearn Workshops. to students, staff, faculty and members of the outside community. Subjects include image editing, audio and video editing, and other topics.
Video Chat Rooms
Within the Current Periodicals Reading room are two rooms dedicated to audio and video chat. The rooms accommodate one person. The rooms may be reserved in advance and may be available on demand. Click here for more information.
The IMC has 4 workstations for the playback of VHS, DVD and Laser Disk media. Headphones are required. Audio cassette players, CD player and phonograph [record player] are available upon request.
- 2 VCR/DVD combination units
- 1 region-free DVD player that will play DVDs originating from anywhere in the world; this model is also available for loan.
- 1 Laser Disc player
- 1 Optilec Viewer (page magnifier, color adjuster)