Keywords and Phrases
One of the primary elements that search engine robots use to determine page rank are the keywords and phrases that are used on a Web site's pages. Contrary to what some people think, there is no great secret to keywords.
Keywords and phrases are words and terms that people use when they make a search. Here are some examples:
Let's say that you are looking for a local Italian restaurant.
- You go to a search engine and enter the phrase "Italian restaurant."
- The results will list Italian restaurants, some may be in your town, some may not be local.
- You refine your search and enter the phrase "Italian restaurant Albany"
- The results will now list Italian restaurants in Albany
- Now you decide you want to visit an Italian restaurant that has a menu from the northern part of the country. You modify your search again and use the phrase "Italian restaurant northern cuisine Albany"
- Now the organic results should show restaurants with northern Italian dishes in the Albany area
If a restaurant Web site uses words, terms, and phrases that are specific, or "key," to the cooking of northern Italy, it should come up higher in the rankings. Such terms are likely to be:
Keywords and phrases are integrated into several parts of the Web page.