Welcome to Minerva
Minerva is the University Libraries' Web-based catalog - your guide to materials owned or provided by the University at Albany libraries.
To access Minerva:
To select advanced search, click the Advanced Search link at the top of the Minerva page.
Connectors or Boolean Operators (Step 3): See “Search Hints” at the bottom of the Advanced Search page for instructions on how to use Boolean Operators.
Once a search is performed in Minerva, you can add terms or filter your search from the Brief Record screen.
Adding Search Terms
This feature is used to modify the results by adding terms to the original search.
If your search results are too broad or too narrow, you can modify your original search by using the Boolean operators and, or, or not along with additional search terms to retrieve additional results, or to narrow the search.
In this example, the search results for the title/subject: Botany is being narrowed by using the Boolean Operator and to add the term North America.
Note that the title/subject field has been selected from the "Field to Search" drop down menu.
The Filter option allows you to set limits on your search without entering additional search terms.
Minerva allows you to either enter your own filter options or use a set of predefined options. Information about the various options and instructions for their use can be found within the Filtering Options pages. You can access the filter function from the brief record screen by clicking on the word "filter" at the top of the Brief Records screen as shown in the diagram above.
Finding Your Search Results
Once you have a list of search results to review you can select View Full Record to see more details as well as a summary of the item.
To locate the item you've selected you need to find out where it is! From either the list of your search results or from the Full Record you can get location information.
Saving Your Search Results
You can e-mail records you've found that you want to reference later.
- To select individual records, click box at the top left corner of each record.
- Click "Save/Mail" and follow the directions to email the selected records to yourself, or others.
- Select all records by clicking on "Select All" in the menu above the results list.
You can save items permanently by adding them to your My List.
- First log-in to My Library Account, and then use the “Add to My List” link at the top of the Search Results page.
- You MUST sign-in to ‘My Library Account’ in order to save your records for future access.
- Access your list by selecting “My List”
- The ILLiad software is used by the University Libraries for both Interlibrary Loan and UA Delivery Services.
- UA Delivery provides document delivery services between the University's three libraries.
- InterLibrary Loan provides resources through the University Libraries' participation in a number of resource sharing agreements.These agreements provide access to article delivery and short term loans on a wide variety of materials.
- You may ask that materials be sent from one library to another, or directly to you electronically (for articles).
- For more information on UA Delivery or InterLibrary loan visit http://library.albany.edu/ill/
My Library Account
Once you have entered your MyUAlbany NetID and Unix cluster password, you are able to see your patron information, see what you have checked out, place holds and recalls on materials, and see your MyList.
Accessing Electronic Journals
Journals with electronic access may be accessed using one (or both) of the following:
- 'Find It' is a service that attempts to make links to the full-text of an item. It is used primarily with journals and magazines, and their articles. Click on the 'Find It' icon for access.
- Some journals with electronic access also list a traditional URL in the Full View of the record - click directly on this URL for access.
Minerva offers many options beyond those outlined on this Web site. We encourage you to explore them when you are doing your searches. Context-specific Help screens are available throughout Minerva. Please contact a Reference Librarian (Phone: 442-3553 or use the Ask Us!) form if you need more in-depth assistance.