Anna Radkowski-Lee Graduate Assistantship Academic Year 2016-2017
Anna Radkowski-Lee Graduate Assistantship
Academic Year 2016-2017
The Anna Radkowski-Lee Graduate Assistantship was created in memory of the long-time Personnel Officer for the University at Albany Libraries.
University at Albany Libraries — Dewey Graduate Library
Would you like to gain practical experience working with an Institutional Repository to enhance your resume while getting a stipend and tuition benefits? The Dewey Graduate Library is seeking an outgoing, energetic, and creative graduate student to assist with ingesting large, unique collections into our Institutional Repository (IR).
As the concept of digital scholarship continues to evolve, opportunities are emerging for libraries and librarians to serve in new roles. The candidate chosen for this position will gain knowledge and develop skills in this growing area of scholarly publishing by working with library faculty to help execute various special projects to bolster the content in Scholars Archive (SA), the University at Albany's IR.
- Work with the SA Administrator to assist with all aspects (e.g., copyright clearance, metadata customization) of adding content for special projects to SA.
- Collaborate with the SA Administrator and other library faculty involved with scholarly communications to develop tests and refine workflow processes to assure consistent application of metadata, copyright standards, file format requirements, etc., for objects submitted for deposit in SA.
- Explore potential opportunities for SA to grow in the area of non-text-based formats, with a strong focus on streaming media. Assist with investigating necessary supporting modules, software, and third-party packages.
- Troubleshoot and research questions that arise about IR issues and present findings. A specific focus will be on the proper assignment of Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) for repository objects.
- Assist with the marketing and promotion of SA, including the creation of a library guide describing SA’s features, capabilities, and benefits to the scholar.
- 20 hours per week
- Stipend of $9,385 for the 2016-2017 academic year and tuition waiver for 9 credits per semester
- Must be enrolled in the University at Albany MSIS program for a minimum of nine credits during each semester of work
- Must have completed six hours of course credit
- Excellent communication and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks
- Detail oriented
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience working with an institutional repository or discipline repository or experience working with metadata
- Successful completion of, or enrollment in, IST 653, Digital Libraries
- Lindsay Van Berkom, Scholars Archive Administrator, Dewey Graduate Library, University at Albany Libraries, 135 Western Avenue, Albany, NY
TO APPLY: E-mail your cover letter, addressing the specific position requirements, and resumé along with e-mail and street addresses and phone numbers of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org (Lindsay Van Berkom, Scholars Archive Administrator, Dewey Graduate Library).
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.