Anna Radkowski-Lee Graduate Assistantship Academic Year 2017-2018
Anna Radkowski-Lee Graduate Assistantship
Academic Year 2017-2018
The Anna Radkowski-Lee Graduate Assistantship was created in memory of the long-time Personnel Officer for the University at Albany Libraries.
University at Albany Libraries – Alice Hastings Murphy Preservation Department
Would you like to gain practical experience managing preservation of and access to digitized monographs to enhance your resume while getting a stipend and tuition benefits? The Alice Hastings Murphy Preservation Department is seeking an innovative, detail-oriented, creative graduate student to assist with reconciling a collection of over 600 digitized volumes from the University Library to make them available for scholars and researchers.
As preservation of digital collections continues to evolve, opportunities are emerging for libraries to serve in new roles. The candidate chosen for this position will gain knowledge and skills in project management, web design, systems administration and database administration, as well as copyright.
- Reconcile Access database of digitized brittle books in the Preservation Department against Aleph catalog records; correct discrepancies in collaboration with the Cataloging Services Department
- Organize pdf files using Adobe Acrobat X Pro all titles still protected by U.S. Copyright; create web interface to and digital copies of these reformatted works to connect to the Libraries’ OPAC
- Work with Library Systems to store items in OneDrive; password protect the files
- Create procedures for ongoing processing and maintenance of digital files; recommend best practices for long-term preservation of master files
Hours/Compensation: 15-20 hours/week (600 hours total). Stipend of $9,385 for the 2017-2018 academic year and a tuition waiver for 9 credits per semester.
- Must be enrolled in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences for a minimum of 9 graduate credits during each semester of work
- Must have completed six hours of course credit
- Excellent communication and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks
- Detail oriented
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience working with Access and Adobe Acrobat X Pro
- Successful completion of, or enrollment in, IST 653, Digital Libraries
Karen E. Kiorpes, Head, Alice Hastings Murphy Preservation Department, Science Library, Room SL 310, University at Albany Libraries, 1400 Washington Ave., Albany NY 12222
TO APPLY: Email your cover letter, addressing the specific position requirements, and resumé along with the names and contact information (phone number, e-mail address, street address) for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
UPDATE: POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED.