Care and Handling
The longevity of books, even those printed on acidic paper, can be extended considerably by reducing the amount of physical stress to which they are subjected. Some ways of doing this include providing adequate shelving; using bookends where necessary for support; keeping temperature and humidity levels stable; and keeping the library clean. Every library user can help prolong the useful life of the University Libraries books by observing a few simple measures:
- Be gentle.
- Protect books from water.
- Keep food and drink away.
- Use a bookmark, rather than turning down the corners.
- Take notes on scrap paper.
- Do not force books open onto the copy machine.