M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives
M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives About these images M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives

Africana Studies

For reference queries contact Grenander Department Reference staff or (518) 437–3935

The subject guide for African Americans and Civil Rights Organizations may also be of interest.

AFRICAN AND AFRO–AMERICAN STUDIES, DEPARTMENT OF
Records, 1969–75, 3 ft. (UA–611)

Includes department chair correspondence, 1969–70; departmental meeting minutes, 1970–71, 1973–74; enrollment schedules, 1972–73; annual budgets, 1972–74; proposals; promotional materials; and faculty profiles.  Originally called the Department of Afro-American Studies when it was created in 1969, the department adopted its current name in the fall of 1974.  The department's mission was to concentrate on "urban affairs and human development" as seen through the life experience of black Americans. (Final Budget Request, 1970–71, p. 51.)

CAPITAL AREA COUNCIL OF CHURCHES
Records, 1941–2002, 9 cubic ft. (APAP–129)
The Capital Area Council of Churches (CACC) was founded in 1941. The federation was intended to encompass, absorb, coordinate and extend the community service and ministry functions of several existing organizations. The majority of records in this collection are board minutes (with organizational constitutions, Director's Reports, and some committee minutes) reports, newsletters, administrative files, subject files, and some correspondence. There is also a collection of clippings from local newspapers. Well structured documentation, in the form of meeting minutes, of the formative period of the organization allow for a determination of the principle factors, both human and situational, for the genesis of the CACC. There are numerous sources (minutes, newsletters, annual reports) of the names of individuals and the roles they played in the organization; names, locations, size, relative prosperity and denomination of member congregations; and information pertaining to the other groups, individuals, and organizations which provided services in the Capital District. Many of the records show the degree to which the organization was concerned and involved with issues and events of local, national and international concern including World War II, the anti-Communist fervor, the Civil Rights Movement, the Abortion debate, the evolution of the State University of New York system, urban blight, and fair housing.

CAPITAL DISTRICT COALITION AGAINST APARTHEID & RACISM (CDCAAR)
Records, 1981–1995, 6 reels of microfilm (APAP–011)

Contains newspaper articles, newsletters, legal papers and correspondence relating to the group's protest against the Springboks (South Africa's then all–white rugby team) game that was scheduled to take place in Albany, NY on September 21, 1981, and to court cases that grew out of the protests; correspondence, minutes, and reports relating to CDCAAR's struggle against apartheid in South Africa (especially related to a campaign to force NYS to divest pension funds invested in South Africa and a boycott of South African performers); and also documenting the organization's struggles against police abuse in Albany N.Y. (particularly the Jessie Davis case).  Also includes a 1995 history of CDCAAR written by Vera Michelson. Includes a small group of papers from the Northeast Southern Africa Solidarity Network and the African National Congress. Founded in 1981 as an inter–racial group opposed to Apartheid, the group changed its name in 1995 to the Capital District Coalition for Southern Africa and Against Racism.

CENTER FOR LEGISLATIVE DEVELOPMENT
Records, 1966–2000, 73 cubic ft. (UA–680.1)
The Center for Legislative Development is the successor to the Comparative Development Studies Center. Dr. James Heaphey served as director of the Center for Legislative Development from its founding until 1978 when he was succeeded by Aldo Baakalini who served as Director until his death in 2003. The Centers primary function, under both names, has been and is to assist in the development of legislative effectiveness around the world by studying and accessing legislative needs for resources and information, and formulating plans to acquire those resources so that legislatures can negotiate agreements with their executives. Contained in the Centers records are program proposals, records of site visits, correspondence, contracts, and reports. In the early 1970s the Center was interested in the problems of legislative security in the United States. Of interest might be extensive documentation, including tapes, of the Legislatures and Human Rights Conference in Dublin, Ireland in 1976. In the 1990s the Center assisted the former Soviet satellite of Hungary in developing legislative institutions, but was largely unsuccessful in attempting to assist the Central Asian Republics in their transition. The Center was fund for a Rule of Law Project in Kazakhstan but internal problems in the country prevent the carrying out of the project. The records also contain proposals for an unfunded Mongolian Rural Civil Society Program, one of whose aims was to enhance the status of women in rural society. The Center had active programs of legislative development in Korea, Kuwait, and Yemen. There are 2.5 cubic ft. of records regarding the Committee on Viable Constitutionalism (COVICO), 1993-1999. In East Africa the Center had a program in Ethiopia in the mid 1970s, in West Africa the Center has had long term programs in Ghana, 1969-1981, in Guinea-Bissau, 1992-1997, and in North Africa, Egypt, 1970s, 1994-98. In the Eastern Mediterranean the Center has had programs in Lebanon. The Center has had a long term presence in South and Central America and the Caribbean from the 1960s through the 1990s. Found in the records are materials relating to the Centers assistance to the following countries to develop their legislative branches: Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela.

CONSERVATIVE PARTY OF NEW YORK STATE (APAP-060)
Records, 1961–1988, 40.5 cubic ft. (APAP–060)

Subject files, correspondence, political literature, and other records kept for the chairs of the New York State Conservative Party: Kieran O'Doherty, 1962; J. Daniel Mahoney, 1962–86; and Serphin Maltese, 1986–88. The records document efforts to create the party in 1961 and its formal establishment as the Freedom Party in 1962 by J. Daniel Mahoney, Kieran O'Doherty, and others in protest against domination of the New York State Republican Party by its liberal wing headed by Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller and Senator Jacob K. Javits. The records document the political campaigns of Conservative Party candidates for public office, including writer William F. Buckley, Jr. and Senator James Buckley.

SOLIDARITY COMMITTEE OF THE CAPITAL DISTRICT
Records, 1980–2000, 10.0 ft. (APAP–042)
Contains minutes and administrative files, 1983–99; subject files, 1980–90; Solidarity Notes, the committee's newsletter, 1984–97; and photographs. During the 1983 Greyhound strike by the Amalgamated Transit Union, a coalition of labor unions was formed under the name the Greyhound Strikers Solidarity Committee of the Capital District.  At the end of this strike, the committee, believing that solidarity within the labor movement was essential to its survival, decided to continue as the Solidarity Committee of the Capital District.  Since that time, the committee has worked to support hundreds of strikes and labor activities, most of them in Eastern New York, but including many across the country and in Latin America.

STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK, UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
Collection, 1944–ongoing, 6.0 cubic ft. (APAP–093)
The University Faculty Senate, State University of New York collection is an artificial collection assembled from the records held by University at Albany, SUNY representatives to the University Faculty Senate. The bulk of the collection is taken from the office of Professor Joseph L. Norton, covering the years 1968-1974, and Dr. Robert B. Morris for the years 1964-1971. This collection documents the activities of the University Faculty Senate and the University at Albany Senators from the first Senate Meeting in 1953 through the 2001 session. Contained in these records are reports; minutes; by-laws; correspondence; published material such as newsletters; directories; overviews, and; handbooks. This collection documents an expanding university challenged by social change and innovations in education and the work of faculty, in Senate assembled, to meet those challenges. Academic freedom, race and gender issues, student activism, and the need to develop programs to meet the educational needs of an evolving society are well documented in the meeting minutes, reports, committee material and correspondence of the University Faculty Senate.

UNITED UNIVERSITY PROFESSIONS (UUP)
Records, 1968–2000, 161.17 cubic ft. and 6 microfilm reels (APAP–039)
The records of United University Professions (UUP) document the activities the union of the faculty and non–teaching professionals of the State University of New York since 1973.  They begin in the 1960s with UUP's antecedents, the State University Professional Association (SUPA) and the Senate Professional Association (SPA), and continue through June 2000 for the Communications Department, and through May 1993 (the end of the Reilly administration) for most other series.Virtually all aspects of UUP's activities are covered by the records, including the actions of its policy–making bodies–the Delegate Assembly and the Executive Board; the activities of UUP as seen through the correspondence of its President and members, and through project and subject files; activities on and issues of concern to individual campus chapters seen through correspondence between chapter representatives and chapter members to UUP's Administrative Office and through newsletters created by individual chapters; contract negotiations between UUP and the State; UUP as presented in its publications; and photographs, video, and audio tape records of its activities.

VAN DEN HAAG, ERNEST
Papers, 1935–2000, 11.45 cubic ft. (APAP–135)

Ernest van den Haag (1914-2002) was a conservative commentator of social issues, especially crime, and one of America's foremost proponents of the death penalty. The publications in this collection include articles in published form, drafts, and related correspondence. Types of publications include transcripts from appearances on television shows in the 1970s and 1980s, files on the books which he authored, rough drafts for chapters, and hundreds of articles written for various journals, magazines, and newspapers from 1950-2000. The collection's publications cover a wide array of social science issues of the mid to late 20th century from an intellectual conservative's view. Topics include American culture, criminal justice, education, conservatism versus liberalism, and American politics. Van den Haag had a special political interest in U.S. foreign policy and commented on the Vietnam War, foreign wars, and the issues of the Cold War.

WITTNER, LAWRENCE
Collection, 1977–1999, 3.0 cubic feet (APAP–100)

The Wittner Collection is a personal and organizational history of the Albany Chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America, the United University Professions (UUP) Solidarity Committee, and other activist groups in the Capital Region of New York State. The Albany Chapter of Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) records (1980–87) and the United University Professions (UUP) Solidarity Committee (1986–99) records are primarily made up of minutes of meetings, agendas, plans of action, flyers, financial statements, correspondence, photographs and other documents that provide information about the inner workings of these organizations and issues that they were working on. The records also include issues of The Albany Anvil, the DSA's monthly newsletter, from May 1981 to December 1986 and documentation of UUP's support of labor struggles in the Capital District from 1986 to 1999. There is some information on Dr. Wittner's participation in other area groups such as the Labor– Religion Coalition and the Anti–Nuclear Alliance as well as work on the Leon Van Dyke, Ed Bloch and Nancy Burton political campaigns in the 1980s. The collection also contains twelve photographs of Dr. Wittner and some members of the DSA spanning from 1980–1985. Included are photos of demonstrations that took place under the auspices of these various groups and photos of an annual Eugene V. Debs Awards Dinner.

YWCA OF ALBANY, NEW YORK
Records, 1863–1996, 20.21 cubic ft. (APAP-137)

The collection documents the history of the YWCA of Albany, which was founded in 1888 by a group of women led by Mrs. Acors Rathbun in order to provide housing and recreational activities for young women searching for work. Through the years, the organization expanded to include classes, childcare, athletics, essay contests, teen issue programs, and an annual awards dinner honoring women. Strengths include the extensive photographic material and meeting minutes from the board of trustees and directors. The collection is weakest at the beginning and end of the YWCA of Albany's existence.


Reference E-mail | Find Collections | Find Other Historical Resources
About the Department | Department Services and Policies
View Exhibits | View Blog
Department Home Page

Last updated July 28, 2012

Valid XHTML 1.0!