M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives
M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives About these images M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives

Architecture

For reference queries contact Grenander Department Reference staff or (518)–437–3935.

ALBANY COUNTY CIVIC CENTER
Collection, 1976, 1984–1986, 1988, .75 cubic ft. (APAP-004)
Reports and other records pertaining to the environmental impact of the construction of the Albany County Civic Center (the Knickerbocker Arena, now the Pepsi Arena), a multi–purpose sports, entertainment, and convention center that opened in downtown Albany, New York in 1989.

ALUMNI AFFAIRS, OFFICE OF
Records, 1914–80, 14 ft. (UA–780)
Includes ledgers and minutes of the Benevolent Association, a residence hall building fund, 1927–62; financial records, 1960–80; publications including the Alumni Quarterly, and the Carillon; and an architect's model and landscaping designs for the Alumni House Conference Center.

CAMPUS CONSTRUCTION
Collection, 1961–88, 130 ft. (UA–950.005)
Correspondence, deeds, appraisal reports, legal depositions, maps, and photographs created by the Bureau of Rights and Ways of the NYS Department of Public Works, NYS Department of Audit and Control, and the NYS Legal Department relating to the purchase of land for the uptown campus of the University at Albany, 1961–72; working architectural drawings of the uptown campus by the New York City firm of Edward Durrell Stone Associates, 1962–70; documentation of the physical construction of the uptown campus, 1962–70; planning documents for proposed uptown campus expansion, 1974; and working architectural drawings of Hawley Library and of the remodeling of the University Libraries, 1936–88. Construction photographs of the uptown campus are found in the University Archives Photograph Collection.

CITY CLUB OF ALBANY
Records, 1945, 1947–1950, 1957–1961, .2 cubic ft. (APAP–082)
The collection documents the City Club of Albany and contains organizational records from 1957–1959 mainly concerned with issues of the Citizen's Platform. The collection is composed chiefly of files retained by Harriet D. Adams as vice president of the club when it was particularly interested in urban planning. The Citizen's Platform of 1957 consisted of the City Club's position on issues such as city planning, housing, health, education, child welfare, recreation, safety and law enforcement, local government finances, and "a cleaner Albany." Organizational records also include the City Club's mission, membership, monthly reports, a budget report, reports from the Nominating Committee and the Civic Affairs Committee, newsletters, and correspondence of the Civic Affairs Committee.

CONCERNED CITIZENS AGAINST CROSSGATES
Records, 1979–1984, 5.25 cubic ft. (APAP–057)
Correspondence of CCAC leaders with local and state officials and politicians, briefs, counter briefs, and exhibits submitted to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, 1979–80, prior to DEC granting approval for the construction of the Crossgates Regional Shopping Mall in the Albany Pine Bush, Guilderland, New York; submissions to DEC, 1980–33; legal papers relating to the suits of CCAC vs. Robert Flacke (Commissioner of DEC), 1980–82, vs. the Town of Guilderland Zoning Board of Appeals, 1980–83, and vs. the Town of Guilderland concerning the water merger vote, 1980–83; and impact studies on the economy and environment relating to air quality, wildlife, society and traffic. The records also include records of meetings, reports, press releases, newspaper clippings, and other records of a citizens' group founded to prevent the construction of the shopping mall.

CROSSGATES REGIONAL SHOPPING MALL COLLECTION
Records, 1979–1984, 6 cubic ft. (APAP–067)
Reports, legal briefs, transcriptions of hearings, environmental impact statements, photographs, clippings, and other materials pertaining to the application of the Pyramid Crossgates Company to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and the Department of Transportation to build the Crossgates Regional Shopping Mall in the Albany Pine Bush, Guilderland, N.Y.

ENVIRONMENTAL DECISIONS COMMISSION
Records, 1971–1980, .33 cubic ft. (UA–XXX.008)
The Environmental Decisions Commission of the State University of New York at Albany (as the University at Albany, SUNY was then known) was established in 1971 by President Louis T. Benezet. The commission was charged with developing a policy base for decisions on matters relating to the environmental health and aesthetic quality of the university as well as the campus’ impact on the surrounding community. In the nearly ten years of its existence, the commission dealt with issues such as dredging and stocking the campus pond, traffic control, parking, the use of road salt and pesticides, recycling of paper, composting, and energy conservation.This collection contains the administrative files of the Environmental Decisions Commission including correspondence, meeting minutes, agendas, and reports.

FACILITIES AND PHYSICAL PLANT, OFFICE OF [Asst. VP for Facilities Management and Physical Plant]
Records, 11 ft. (UA–331)
Includes budget files, 1983–86; and subject files for the office which includes several constituent bodies, including: Real Estate, Physical Plant Department (including Residence Hall Maintenance and Utilities Branch, HVAC), Fiscal Management, Environmental Health and Safety, Facilities Acquisition, Building and Institutional Services, Downtown Campus Operations, Pest Control, and the Vehicle Operations Center.

KOLKER, HARRY
Papers, 1942-45, 1969-1980, approx. 3,000 slides (UA–902.067)
Consists primarily of color slides taken by Harry Kolker while he was employed, 1969-80, in the Educational Communication Center of the State University of New York at Albany (SUNYA), now known as the University at Albany, SUNY. The slides are primarily of the buildings and grounds of the SUNYA Uptown Campus, but also contain some photos of the Downtown Campus and Alumni Quadrangle buildings. Prominently featured are photos of the Academic Podium, the Water Tower and Alumni Carillon, Academic Podium water fountains, aerial photos of the Uptown Campus, some construction photos of the campus, photos of the Performing Arts Center, Physics Laboratory, and signage on the Uptown Campus buildings. Also included are a number of slides used by the Educational Communication Center in films produced for the University academic departments. There are also a number of photos of SUNY Cortland, of Albany, N.Y., and of a July 1975 Syracuse University sponsored conference at Sagamore Great Camp at Racket Lake, N.Y. In addition, there are photos of the Jewish Community in Albany and Schenectady, N.Y. Of special interest are 140 slides of Mr. Kolker's service in the Pacific Ocean during World War II including his training as an Air Force radio operator at Scott Field, Illinois; and photos of air force bases in Brisbane, Australia; Amberly Air Force Base, Australia; Nichols Field, Manila, Phillipines; Layete; Biak Nei, Guinea; and Honolulu.

MATHERS, JOHN J.
Papers, 1967-1996, 14 cubic ft. (APAP–107)

John L. Mathers was Assistant to the Chancellor of the SUNY System in the 1960s and 1970s, later becoming Associate Vice Chancellor for Continuing Education, and retiring as Chair of the SUNY Small Business Development Council in the early 1990s. As Assistant to the Chancellor, Mathers was assigned special projects to spearhead. In the late 1960s he was heavily involved in efforts to document, understand, and stem unrest in the SUNY System caused by the anti-war movement, the stresses involved in introducing large numbers of persons of color into the System, and the stresses caused by a rapidly expanding SUNY System and student involvement in governance. He retained most of his day file correspondence from his service, as well as copies of much of the record relating to the controversies at Stony Brook, New Paltz, Buffalo State, UB, and Albany. In 1971 his position was elevated to Executive Assistant to the Chancellor where he was lead liaison with the staff of the governor and chief legislative leaders for developing the System's priorities. In the 1970s Mathers was point person for studies of the economic impact of the System (1971-73), the transformation of the D & H Building into SUNY Central Headquarters (1973-74), and was involved in much of the negotiations for the establishment of the Empire State Youth Theatre (1974-81) and the SUNY Russian Student Exchange Program (1977). In the late 1970s and early 1980s, as Associate Vice Chancellor for Continuing Education he was also involved in overseeing the NYNET, the SUNY television system. In the 1980s and 1990s, Mathers'primary focus was on developing the NYS Small Business Development Center, voluminously documented in his papers.

NEUGASS, FRITZ (1899–1979), art historian, photographer
Papers, 1933–1979, 60 cubic ft. (GER–007)
Autobiography, undated; correspondence, 1941–1944, 1970–1979; manuscripts of two novels written under pseudonyms in a French internment camp, 1939–1941; typescripts of articles and related correspondence, photographs, notes, and clippings relating to art collecting and criticism, photography, architecture, and motion pictures, 1942–1979; and negatives and prints of photographs taken by Neugass in New York City, Europe, and Mexico, primarily 1940s and 1950s.

PRESERVATION LEAGUE OF NEW YORK STATE
Records (APAP–134)

The Preservation League of New York State was incorporated in March 1974. The organization encourages the preservation of historic buildings, districts, and landscapes in New York State. It was responsible for saving the outbuildings of Camp Sagamore, an Adirondack Great Camp built in 1895, through a popular referendum. It also worked for the New York State Historic Preservation Act, fought off a bill to exempt historic religious properties from law, and lobbied the National Park Service for suitable development of buildings on the south side of Ellis Island. Records from the mid-1980s to present include: subject files, reports, annual reports, lobbying files, newsletters (1975 to present), legal papers, and news clippings.

RUBIN, HAROLD
Papers, 1964–1990, 6 cubic ft. (APAP–032)

Subject files largely consisting of retained records of local organizations dedicated to preserving Albany, New York historic neighborhoods and architecture as well as the Pine Bush. Includes minutes of meetings, correspondence, legal documents, press releases, news clippings, and other records of the Capital Hill Architectural Review Commission, Center Square Neighborhood Association, Coalition for Effective Code Enforcement, Council of Albany Neighborhood Associations, Neighborhood Resource Center, and other local groups. The files were retained by Rubin as chair of several of the associations and as an Albany urban preservationist.

STATE UNIVERSITY CONSTRUCTION FUND
Records, 1961–1979, .88 cubic ft. (APAP–097)
The State University Construction Fund was established by the Governor and the Legislature of New York as a public benefit corporation within the State University to plan, design, construct and provide financing for facilities required by the State University of New York to meet academic program and enrollment needs. As a result of the creation of the fund and in response to an urgent need to make higher education opportunities available to additional thousands of New Yorkers, the largest university building program in history was launched in New York State. The collection contains campus plans for the State University of New York (SUNY) System construction in the 1960s and 1970s. Progress reports and charts in each report include the dates that architects, sketches and locations for construction were approved. The charts also provide the dates construction began for each campus in the SUNY System. The collection includes annual reports from 1964 through 1979. These provide the budget for construction and the yearly progress for each facility. The annual report for the year 1972 celebrates the first ten years of the State University Construction Fund and includes helpful retrospective information. A review of the capital program for all state universities from 1975 to 1976 and 1976 to 1977 is included in the collection and reviews of the Albany campus are available from 1971 through 1975.

STUDER, NORMAN
Papers, 1817–1988 (APAP–116)
Papers of Norman Studer, educator, folklorist, and writer. The papers primarily document Studer's activities as an educator at the Little Red School House/Elisabeth Irwin High School, an educator and administrator at the Downtown Community School, founder and Director of Camp Woodland, and his various writing projects. The papers reflect Studer's two principal life-long interests: progressive education and folklore. The collection is particularly strong in its representation of Catskill folklore and folk music, including manuscript material, photographs, reel-to-reel audio recordings, and 16mm movies documenting interviews with indigenous Catskill informants, folk festivals, and life at Camp Woodland. The inclusive dates of the collection are 1817–1988, with the bulk of the material dating 1952–1978.

UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION
The University Archives Photograph Collection includes more than 30,500 photographic prints and negatives concerning the faculty, students, administration, buildings, and campus life. Though there are photographs dating from the middle of the nineteenth century, the bulk of the collection dates from 1962 to the present and includes very substantial documentation of the construction of the Uptown Campus. A computerized index provides name and subject access to a significant portion of the collection. A small number of photographs are available online in the University at Albany Libraries' Digital Collections Database. The majority of the images available online document the University at Albany's Uptown Campus in the 1970s and 1980s as well as students from the classes of 1847 through 1980.

VAN PATTEN, GRANT
Records, 1962, .17 cubic ft., 1 film, and 1 video (APAP–167)

Grant Van Patten worked in television production beginning in the mid-twentieth century in New York's Capital Region, including affiliate WRGB in Schenectady. Van Patten produced the documentary The South Mall in Albany: Hoax or Hope? for WRGB in 1962. The collection includes Van Patten's documentary The South Mall in Albany: Hoax or Hope? and material related to its production. The film is a production original composed of sound film, silent footage, and blank short pieces. During the blank sections there were shots taken by live studio cameras most often of the news reporter on the studio set. An access copy of the production is available for viewing in the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives Marcia Brown Research Room. It is best to have a copy of the script in hand when viewing the documentary.

WERNER, ALFRED (1911–79), art historian, writer
Papers, 1941–1977, 22 ft. (GER–096)

Correspondence, 1953–77; hundreds of manuscripts and typescripts of Werner's writings, including exhibition catalogs, lecture notes, art criticism and essays, 1941–77; printed materials and related correspondence in subject files, 1941–77; offprints, photographs of art work used in his books; and papers written by his students. A  native of Vienna, Werner was a New York City freelance writer on modern art.


Reference E-mail | Find Collections | Find Other Historical Resources
About the Department | Department Services and Policies
View Exhibits | View Blog
Department Home Page

Last updated May 10, 2012

Valid XHTML 1.0!