M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives
M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives About these images M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives

Radio and Television Broadcasting

For reference queries contact Grenander Department Reference staff or (518) 437–3935

EIGHTH STEP
Records, 1975-2003, 13 cubic ft. (APAP–195)
Founded in 1967, the Eighth Step is an independent, non-profit organization that was originally started in the basement of the First Presbyterian Church of Albany. Originally started as a First Presbyterian youth project, the Eighth Step held concerts of folk, traditional, ethnic, blues, and jazz music. Begun amidst the backdrop of the Civil Rights/Vietnam War era, the Eighth Step was strongly influenced by the political music of that era. Artists such as Arlo Guthrie, Greg Brown, Patty Larkin, Ani DiFranco, and John Gorka played there early in their careers. The old back entrance to the original space contained eight steps, hence the name. In 2000, the Eighth Step moved to the Cohoes Music Hal and held their last concert there in 2003. The collection contains artist files, newsletters, programs and schedules, press releases, photographs, posters, live concert recordings, radio programs, and interviews.

SCHEIN, DONALD
Papers, 1954–1987, 40 cubic ft. (APAP–209)
Born in Leavenworth, Kansas, Schein was a pioneer in the development of educational television and radio in New York State. During graduate study at Boston University, he became active in fundraising to help establish Boston's educational television station, WGBH and served on the Massachusetts Citizens Committee on Educational Television. In 1955, Schein came to Schenectady and served as associate producer and first president of the Mohawk-Hudson Council on Educational Television, where he produced instructional programs for in-school use broadcast over WRGB-TV. Schein led the effort to launch the second public television station in New York State, Schenectady's WMHT in 1962, and was executive director and later general manager. He was instrumental in the addition of the all classical music radio station WMHT-FM in 1972 and the Radio Information Service (RISE), a radio reading service for the blind and print handicapped in 1978. He retired in 1986 as general manager, after concluding negotiations for the acquisition of Channel 45, WMHQ. The collection contains newsletters, programs and schedules, meeting minutes, photographs, and Schein's files as president of Mohawk-Hudson Council on Educational Television, and files as executive director and general manager of WMHT.

SWEENEY, DOROTHY
Papers, .5 cubic ft. (MSS-135)
Dorothy (nee Langley) Sweeney graduated from St. Mary's Institute in Amsterdam, New York in 1941. After graduation Sweeney accepted an office position at General Electric in Schenectady. In her off hours she spent time at WGY, GE's AM radio station, where her brother Edward Langley acted and wrote for the station's dramatic productions. Sweeney provided sound effects for several programs and her scripts from this work form the bulk of this collection.

WAMC/NORTHEAST PUBLIC RADIO
Records, 1981-2000, 6,795 audio recordings (APAP–138)
WAMC/Northeast Public Radio is a regional public radio network serving parts of seven northeastern states and is a member of National Public Radio and an affiliate of Public Radio International. The station's programs cover a number of issues including education, politics and government, the environment, health and medical issues, women's issues, and others. Some of the programs in the collection include: 51 Percent, The Best of Our Knowledge, Capitol Connection, Dancing on the Air, The Environment Show, The Health Show, The Law Show, Legislative Gazette, Media Project, Vox Pop, and other regular and special broadcasts.

WMHT
Records, 1962-2004, 126 cubic ft. (APAP-211)
In 1953, the Mohawk-Hudson Council on Educational Television was chartered by the New York State Board of Regents as the licensee of WMHT Public Television Station and Public Radio. It was the first charter granted in New York State for an educational television council. Initial Programming was broadcast on WRGB, and later on WRTI and WROW-TV. The Council's first headquarters was a single room in Schenectady's Riverside School. In 1955, WMHT hired Donald Schein as associate producer and he led the effort for regular broadcasting that began in 1962, as Schein was elevated to general manager. An all- classical music radio station WMHT-FM began in 1972 and the Radio Information Service (RISE), a radio reading service for the blind and print handicapped in 1978. Prior to Schein's retirement in 1986, he concluded negotiations for the acquisition of Channel 45 (now WMHQ). Today, WMHT Educational Telecommunications, located in Troy, NY, is the only full-service public broadcaster serving Eastern New York and Western New England. The collection consists of program schedules, publications, administrative files, production files, subject files, slides, and photographs.


Reference E-mail | Find Collections | Find Other Historical Resources
About the Department | Department Services and Policies
View Exhibits | View Blog
Department Home Page

Last updated November 10, 2006

Valid HTML 4.01!