Husted Hall was opened in September 1909 as the Science Building, one of three buildings (with the Administration Building and Auditorium) on the original Western Avenue (Downtown) Campus. The exterior of the building was designed by Albert Randolph Ross, architect, while George Lewis Heins, the State Architect, designed the interior. The three original buildings cost a total of $366,000, not including the land. On December 12, 1927 the Science Building was renamed Husted Hall. Husted Hall is currently the home of the Capital Area School Development Association, the Child Research and Study Center, and the Psychological Services Center.
Albert N. Husted (1833-1912), a graduate of the New York State Normal School, class of 1855, was hired as an instructor of mathematics at the Normal School immediately following his graduation. Husted devoted his life to teaching mathematics at the State Normal School/Normal College, holding his last class three days before his death at the age of 79. From 1862-1864, Husted’s only absence from the school, he led the Normal School Company (Company E, Forty-fourth New York Volunteers) in the Civil War, fighting at Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, and in a number of other battles. Husted served as acting principal of the school following the death of President Waterbury in 1889, and played an active role in the Alumni Association, chairing the committees to raise funds for the Alumni Memorial Window in the Willett Street Building and for plaques honoring State Normal School Civil War dead. The Albert N. Husted Scholarship, awarded since 1949 by the Alumni Association to graduate students in education, is also named in his honor.