Page Hall was opened in September 1929, one of three buildings (with Milne and Richardson Halls) added to the original Western Avenue (Downtown) Campus. The three new buildings were designed by State Architect Sullivan W. Jones and constructed at a cost of $825,000. The name Page Hall was chosen by the College’s Board of Trustees on December 12, 1927 for the then incomplete building. When Page Hall was opened in 1929 it contained an auditorium, still in use today, and a gymnasium located in the basement.
David Perkins Page (1810-1848), served as the New York State Normal School’s first principal from 1844 until his early death in 1848. Page set the school’s curriculum, a combination of subject learning and pedagogy, that survived largely unchanged until 1890. The Normal School received permanent State funding in 1849 due in large part to Page's advocacy and the excellence of its early graduates.