The first classes were held at the
newly created New York State Normal School on December 18, 1844
in the former Mohawk & Hudson Railway Building, later known
as Van Vechten Hall. The street address was 115-121 State Street.
Use of the State Street Building’s second and third floors
were donated by City of Albany rent free for five years. The
street floor continued to be occupied by local businesses. The
City also donated $500.00 to renovate the building. The initial
enrollment was 29 students taught by two faculty: Principal David
Page and Professor George R. Perkins. By the end of the session,
98 students were in attendance, "an equal number from each sex."
Within a year, the building housed 259 students. Van Vechten Hall
reverted to the City of Albany’s control in 1849 when the
State Normal School moved into its first permanent building
located two blocks away on the corner of Lodge and Howard
Streets. Van Vechten Hall was demolished in the early nineteen
sixties to construct the IBM Building.