Waterbury Hall, the last of the Alumni Quadrangle dormitories, was opened as a men's dormitory housing 200 students in September 1959. An underground dining hall shared by both Alden and Waterbury Halls was opened later in the year. Designed by Architect Harold O. Fullerton, the building's cost of $1,050,000. (including the dining hall) was funded by the State Dormitory Authority. From September 1959 until it was formally dedicated as Waterbury Hall in April 1960, the dormitory was known as the Men's Dormitory.
Edward P. Waterbury (1831-1889) Diploma, NYSNS 1849, A.M., Ph.D., served as president of the New York State Normal School from June 1882 until his death on August 28, 1889. Waterbury was the first graduate of the State Normal School to lead it. Among his accomplishments were supervising the construction of a new school building on Willett Street, authoring the first history of the school, A Historical Sketch of the State Normal School at Albany, N.Y. and a History of its Graduates, 1844-1884 (1884), reorganizing of the Alumni Association leading the school's first Alumni fund-raising drive to build the Alumni Memorial Window, and the introduction of a Kindergarten Department.