Collections listed by subject

Quantity: 1 cubic ft. (about 1 boxes)

Documents the University Commission for Affirmative Action, which "aimed to enhance the university's diversity among the student, staff, and faculty populations by developing structures and incentives that promoted gender, racial, ethnic,... equity among the university community".

Quantity: 5.9 cubic ft. (about 5.9 boxes)

These records document the history of the Albany Branch of the American Association of University Women from 1913 - 1992. The records relate chiefly to women's issues; particularly higher education, general education, membership, international relations, legislation, World War II, employment, teaching, community projects and Albany, NY.

Quantity: 22 cubic ft. (about 22 boxes)

The collection consists of 157 volumes of business books and three boxes of financial materials, correspondence, books, scrapbooks and diaries relating to the Bell Family and the Abraham Bell and Son Company.

Quantity: 0.4 cubic ft. (about 0.4 boxes)

The collection includes material related to Bernard Burton's service in World War II and newspaper articles he wrote in opposition to anti-abortion laws.

Quantity: 2.3 cubic ft. (about 2.3 boxes)

The Business and Professional Women's Club of Albany, New York, (BPW) was founded in 1934 with 22 charter members as a chapter of the Business and Professional Women's Clubs of New York State, Inc. (founded in 1919) and a member of the National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs, Inc. The objectives of the club, according to its by-laws, were "To elevate the standards for women in business and in the professions; To promote the interests of business and professional women; To bring about a spirit of cooperation among business and professional women of the United States; [and] To extend opportunities to business and professional women through education along lines of industrial, scientific, and vocational activities."

Quantity: 3.99 cubic ft. (about 3.99 boxes)

These records document the history of the Business and Professional Women's Clubs of New York State, Inc.

Quantity: 43.2 cubic ft. (about 43.2 boxes)

These records document the history of the Business and Professional Women's Club of Schenectady, NY.

Quantity: 2.29 cubic ft. (about 2.29 boxes)

Campus Action was formed in April of 1992 as a multi-cultural, multi-issue organization with a mission to promote activism and support activist organizations on university campuses in New Yorks Capital Region.

Quantity: 9 cubic ft. (about 9 boxes)

This collection contains administrative files, correspondence, newsletters, subject files and meeting minutes from the Capital Area Council of Churches, an organization designed to promote cooperation between different religious institutions in the Albany, N.Y. area.

Quantity: 0.17 cubic ft. (about 0.17 boxes)

The Caucus on Women's Rights at SUNY was organized in Syracuse, New York in June 1970. Includes newsletters, position statements, and other records of the Caucus and the University of Albany chapter. The issues addressed by the Caucus included equal compensation and benefits, affirmative action, parental leave, health and retirement benefits, various student concerns, and parttime employment.

Quantity: 82 cubic ft. (about 82 boxes)

Contains the inactive records of the Center for Legislative Development (formerly the Comparative Development Studies Center), which delivers training and technical assistance programs to strengthen governmental institutions around the world.

Quantity: 22 cubic ft. (about 22 boxes)

The Center for Women in Government & Civil Society (CWGCS) was established in 1978 to elimination of sex discrimination in New York State government employment. The Center part of the Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy and receives both public and private funding.

Quantity: 1.2 cubic ft. (about 1.2 boxes)

The Committee for Progressive Legislation records document the efforts of the group in bringing attention to issues important to many New Yorkers, especially abortion, family planning, welfare rights, and the attack on separation of church and state.

Quantity: 40.5 cubic ft. (about 40.5 boxes)

The Conservative Party Of New York State Records contain files kept for the chairmen of the New York State Conservative Party: Kiernen O’Doherty, 1962; J. Daniel Mahoney, 1962-86; and Serphin Maltese, 1986-88. The strength of the records is in its documentation of New York State politics and elections (including the State Legislature and other state offices), the Conservative Party’s political endorsements and candidates (including writer William F. Buckley, Jr., and Sen. James Buckley), and the political goals and ideological positions on contemporary issues.

Quantity: 44.4 cubic ft. (about 44.4 boxes)

The Michelle Crone Papers document her experience as a feminist and lesbian activist from the early 1980s until the mid-1990s. The collection includes material from here position as National Civil Disobedience Coordinator for the 1987 National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights, and as a member of the Executive Committee for the 1993 March on Washington for Lesbian, Gay, and Bi Equal Rights and Liberation. Also present are records from Michelle Crone’s management of a number of women’s festivals from 1982 to 1996—most notably Rhythm Fest and the Cultural Festival at Gay Games IV—and records from her Capital District production company, Elword Productions. The collection also includes the records from her experience with the Seneca Women’s Encampment for a Future of Peace and Justice, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, and the National Lesbian Conference. Also included are her personal correspondence, records of her undergraduate studies with the theater and women’s studies programs at the University at Albany, SUNY, and political literature from a number of progressive causes at the national and local levels.

Quantity: 0.17 cubic ft. (about 0.17 boxes)

Documentation on Dr. Anna Perkins, a physician from Westerlo, NY noted for her 65 year career caring for residents of the Northern Catskills.

Quantity: 1.2 cubic ft. (about 1.2 boxes)

Gloria DeSole served as senior adviser to the President for Affirmative Action and Employment Planning and Director of Affirmative Action (1982-2000) at the University at Albany, SUNY before retiring in 2000. DeSole began working at the University in 1976 as associate director of the Affirmative Action Office. Prior to that she was an English professor at Skidmore College. DeSole earned bachelor's and Ph.D. degrees from the University at Albany and earned a master's degree from Columbia University. The collection includes materials related to the women's movement with an emphasis on the Capital Region of New York. DeSole collected material related to projects in Albany, speeches, and publications.

Quantity: 19.5 cubic ft. (about 19.5 boxes)

Records of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and its predecessors. Materials include administrative correspondence, committee and task force meeting materials, planning documentation, and assorted reports, all relating to issues of diversity, inclusion, equal employment, and discrimination.

Quantity: 3.46 cubic ft. (about 3.46 boxes)

These records document the activities and membership of the Empire State Federation of Women's Clubs (ESFWC) - the umbrella organization of New York State African-American women's groups - from 1938-1991. The collection also includes records from affiliated organizations: the National Association of Colored Women's Clubs (NACWC) and the Northeast Federation of Women's Clubs (NFWC).

Quantity: 7.72 cubic ft. (about 7.72 boxes)

Family Planning Advocates of New York State was established in the 1970's by the affiliates of Planned Parenthood of New York State in an effort to expand the capacity of its organization to affect public policy through lobbying and education.

Quantity: 0.5 cubic ft. (about 0.5 boxes)

The collection includes materials related to the women's issues with a particular emphasis on the University at Albany, SUNY. Records of particular interest are those of Albany Women Against Rape, Capital District Women, and the Caucus on Women's Rights at SUNY. Also included are issues of the publication <emph render="italic">The Spokeswoman</emph> (1971-1981).

Quantity: 1.89 cubic ft. (about 1.89 boxes)

This collection contains records of the activities of Dr. Alice P. Green from her days as a student of criminal justice at the University at Albany, SUNY, through her career as founder and executive director of the Center for Law and Justice in Albany.

Quantity: 31.47 cubic ft. (about 31.47 boxes)

The records of the League of Women Voters of Albany County (LWVAC), include material produced by the LWVAC as well as material that was produced by the League of Women Voters of New York State and the League of Women Voters of the United States. The most comprehensive series in the collection is the Administrative Files. There are meeting minutes, annual reports, and Board of Directors lists from 1940-2001. A large portion of the LWVAC collection relates to the two main purposes of the organization: voter service and "study and action." Records relating to voter service include pamphlets with information about candidates and citizen voting rights published by the LWVAC and material used to increase voter participation. Records related to "study and action" include material used by the LWVAC to inform citizens about public policy issues locally, statewide, and nationally. A strength of the LWVAC collection is the amount of material related to various public policy issues and how they affected the local community.

Quantity: 9.03 cubic ft. (about 9.03 boxes)

The League of Women Voters of Rensselaer County Records documents the political and social activities of the chapter since its founding in 1939.

Quantity: 4.2 cubic ft. (about 4.2 boxes)

Founded in 1920, the League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization that informs citizens about government, encourages their participation, and seeks to influence public policy through education and advocacy. One of nearly 60 local leagues in New York State, the League of Women Voters of Saratoga County (formerly the League of Women Voters, Saratoga Springs Area) formed in early 1965. This collection documents the operation and activities of this local league from its founding through 2010.

Quantity: 10.4 cubic ft. (about 10.4 boxes)

This collection contains records of the League of Women Voters, Schenectady County.

Quantity: 3.0 cubic ft. (about 3.0 boxes)

This collection contains materials related to the women's movement and lesbian rights in New York State, especially the Capital Region in the 1970s.

Quantity: 1.13 cubic ft. (about 1.13 boxes)

The M.C. Lawton Civic and Cultural Club Records showcase the operations of the first black organization in Albany that was actively involved in community service and educational advancement, which was founded in 1919.

Quantity: 31.4 cubic ft. (about 31.4 boxes)

The Tanya M. Melich Papers contain materials relating to the political landscape of the United states throughout the latter half of the twentieth century, as well as various social movements with a particular emphasis on Women's rights.

Quantity: 0.67 cubic ft. (about 0.67 boxes)

The majority of the Menands Book Club Records consists of meeting and treasurer notes and program schedules. There also is correspondence, club histories and an information packet of the village of Menands, NY Anniversary.

Quantity: 5.0 cubic ft. (about 5.0 boxes)

The National Organization for Women--Albany, N.Y. Chapter Records document the daily activities and special events involving the chapter as well as the chapter's interactions with the state and federal organizations.

Quantity: 23.75 cubic ft. (about 23.75 boxes)

The state chapter of NOW aims to bring women into full participation in the mainstream of American society in order to exercise all privileges and responsibilities in an equal partnership with men.

Quantity: 5.39 cubic ft. (about 5.39 boxes)

The New York Republican State Committee (NYRSC) is a representational legislative branch for the New York Republican Party which nominates Republican candidates for state and federal positions.

Quantity: 14.6 cubic ft. (about 14.6 boxes)

The School of Nursing Records document the history and day-to-day operations of the School at the University at Albany since its first full year of operation in 1967 through its closing in 1979.

Quantity: 0.17 cubic ft. (about 0.17 boxes)

Autobiography and photos of Caroline Smith Page who was an early student at the New York State Normal School. She later taught in Troy, NY and Natchez, MS.

Quantity: 18.54 cubic ft. (about 18.54 boxes)

The papers of Joseph Persico focus on his careers as a full-time author and as a political speechwriter for New York State Commissioner of Health, Hollis Ingraham, and New York State Governor, Nelson Rockefeller.

Quantity: 2.5 cubic ft. (about 2.5 boxes)

The Pine Hills Fortnightly Club was founded by Miss Mary M. Shaw in 1898 as a woman's literary and social club. According to the Club's earliest Constitution, "Its object shall be the study of history, literature and art and the literary and social entertainment of its members."

Quantity: 4.18 cubic ft. (about 4.18 boxes)

The Libby Post Papers contain political campaign documents, professional correspondences, news clippings, meeting minutes, agendas, document drafts, press releases, news letters, civil activism notes, and other materials that document her involvement securing various LGBT rights and with political organizations, as well as the general LGBT community in Albany, NY.

Quantity: 50.89 cubic ft. (about 50.89 boxes)

This collection documents the life, work and activism of Helen Quirini of Schenectady, New York. The collection represents Quirini's numerous activities and interests including her early work owning a local market with her brother, her 39 year employment for General Electric, her activism in unions during her employment and retirement, as well as her charitable activities where she pursued civil, housing, pension, women's and senior citizen's rights.

Quantity: 1 cubic ft. (about 1 boxes)

The collection includes material collected by Peggy Rabkin much of which relates to discrimination. Included are pamphlets, news articles, magazines and other publications, correspondence, and other notes.

Quantity: 1.4 cubic ft. (about 1.4 boxes)

The collection includes materials related to the women's issues with a particular emphasis on the University at Albany, SUNY. Records of particular interest are those of the Equal Employment Opportunity Advisory Committee, Capital District Women, and the Caucus on Women's Rights at SUNY.

Quantity: 4.3 cubic ft. (about 4.3 boxes)

The Center was formed in 1981 by an alliance of non-profit activist organizations in order to provide a central location, office space, and basic services for activist groups in Albany, New York.

Quantity: 7.39 cubic ft. (about 7.39 boxes)

This collection documents Siena College professor Dr. Patricia Stocking Brown's (1942-2004) research and scholarship in biology as well as her breast cancer advocacy, research, and education work.

Quantity: 0.50 cubic ft. (about 0.50 boxes)

The Versatile Club Records document the day-to-day operations of the first 100 years of this community organization founded in 1910.

Quantity: 1.88 cubic ft. (about 1.88 boxes)

Eunice Baird Whittlesey was born in Yorkville, New York. She married Joseph I. Whittlesey on August 30, 1947, and had one daughter, Anne Whittlesey Donlan. Mrs. Whittlesey graduated from the University at Albany (then known as the New York State College for Teachers) in 1944. Mrs. Whittlesey began her professional life as an English, Speech and Drama teacher in Connecticut and Massachusetts. She has also held several prominent positions in the New York State and national Republican parties.

Quantity: 23.64 cubic ft. (about 23.64 boxes)

The Woman's Club of Albany Records document the day-to-day operations of the first 100 years of this community organization founded in 1910.

Quantity: 20.3 cubic ft. (about 20.3 boxes)

The Women’s Building collection records the formation and day-to-day administrative and programming activities of the Women’s Building and its predecessor, the Tri-City Women’s Center. The organization provided a safe space for community groups to meet and organize, and informational and educational programming to support the women of the Capital District. Inspired by a feminist perspective and driven by a commitment to social justice, the Women’s Building provided physical meeting and office space to local organizations and programming and informational services on financial planning, legal issues, parenthood, childbirth, and women’s health. The collection includes administrative records and programming material from the organization’s inception in the early 1970s until 2000.

Quantity: 0.17 cubic ft. (about 0.17 boxes)

Consists of cassette recordings and transcriptions of interviews documenting the creation of the Women's Studies Program at the then State University of New York at Albany in the 1970's. The interviews were conducted, with one exception, by Judith Hudson, retiring University Libraries bibliographer for Women's Studies.

Quantity: 20.21 cubic ft. (about 20.21 boxes)

The collection documents the history of the YWCA of Albany, which was founded in 1888 by a group of women led by Mrs. Acors Rathbun in order to provide housing and recreational activities for young women searching for work. Through the years, the organization expanded to include classes, childcare, athletics, essay contests, teen issue programs, and an annual awards dinner honoring women. Strengths include the extensive photographic material and meeting minutes from the board of trustees and directors. The collection is weakest at the beginning and end of the YWCA of Albany's existence.