African Americans and Civil Rights Organizations
Collections listed by subject
The Department of African American studies documents the papers and administrative processes of the development and implementation of an African American Studies department at the University at Albany in the late 1960s to the late 1970s.
2.33 cubic ft. (about 2.33 boxes)
The Ralph Boyd, Sr. Papers contain personal and professional correspondence, news clippings, work manuals and agendas that document his career as a General Electric employee, community activist and member of the Schenectady branch of the NAACP.
1.6 cubic ft. (about 1.6 boxes)
The Brothers was a civil rights group that was active in Albany, New York for several years beginning in 1966.
2.1 cubic ft. (about 2.1 boxes)
Campus Action was formed in April of 1992 as a multi-cultural, multi-issue organization with a mission to promote activism and support activist organizations on university campuses in New Yorks Capital Region.
2.29 cubic ft. (about 2.29 boxes)
This collection contains administrative files, correspondence, newsletters, subject files and meeting minutes from the Capital Area Council of Churches, an organization designed to promote cooperation between different religious institutions in the Albany, N.Y. area.
9 cubic ft. (about 9 boxes)
Founded by a group of Albany area residents who organized to prevent the Springboks, the all-white South African national rugby team representing the apartheid South African government, from playing a game against the American all-star rugby team in Albany scheduled in 1981.
In the summer of 1984, Jessie Davis, a young Black man was shot and killed by police in his Arbor Hill apartment. His killing served to galvanize the African-American community in Albany to seek change in the way the Police Department treated community residents. One outgrowth of the community's outrage over the killing was the birth of The Center for Law and Justice in 1985. The Center helped to keep the case before the public, gave moral support to the Davis family, assisted attorneys with a federal lawsuit against the city, and organized community demonstrations and fundraising events to cover legal expenses related to the family's suit. The Center's overall mission has been to promote the empowerment of people to change what they believed was the oppressive nature of the total criminal justice system, although the organization has continued to focus much of its work on policing issues. Dr. Alice P. Green, founder and Executive Director of the Center for Law and Justice, Inc. donated 13 boxes of records to the M.E. Grenander Special Collections and Archives at the University at Albany Library in June 2000. In November 2000, three more boxes were donated.
12.75 cubic ft. (about 12.75 boxes)
These records document the activities and membership of the Empire State Federation of Women's Clubs (ESFWC) - the umbrella organization of New York State African-American women's groups - from 1938-1991. The collection also includes records from affiliated organizations: the National Association of Colored Women's Clubs (NACWC) and the Northeast Federation of Women's Clubs (NFWC).
3.46 cubic ft. (about 3.46 boxes)
This collection contains records of the activities of Dr. Alice P. Green from her days as a student of criminal justice at the University at Albany, SUNY, through her career as founder and executive director of the Center for Law and Justice in Albany.
1.89 cubic ft. (about 1.89 boxes)
The M.C. Lawton Civic and Cultural Club Records showcase the operations of the first black organization in Albany that was actively involved in community service and educational advancement, which was founded in 1919.
1.13 cubic ft. (about 1.13 boxes)
This collection contains material related to the social and political activism of Manley, a longtime Schenectady, New York resident.
15.5 cubic ft. (about 15.5 boxes)
Papers written by John J. Mather from 1965 to 1996
12 cubic ft. (about 12 boxes)
The Tanya M. Melich Papers contain materials relating to the political landscape of the United states throughout the latter half of the twentieth century, as well as various social movements with a particular emphasis on Women's rights.
31.4 cubic ft. (about 31.4 boxes)
Records document concerns for discrimination in housing and employment and for the recruitment of black professionals from colleges and universities to the area. The records also show the Branch's involvement with area social service providers, labor unions, and other community organizations, as well as with General Electric, as the area's major employer.
National Association For The Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Albany New York Branch Records
Collection of Records and materials from 1966-1987
3.2 cubic ft. (about 3.2 boxes)
National Association of Black Social Workers, Capital District Chapter Records document the organization's history and activities with various forms
17 cubic ft. (about 17 boxes)
Autobiography and photos of Caroline Smith Page who was an early student at the New York State Normal School. She later taught in Troy, NY and Natchez, MS.
0.17 cubic ft. (about 0.17 boxes)
This collection documents the life, work and activism of Helen Quirini of Schenectady, New York. The collection represents Quirini's numerous activities and interests including her early work owning a local market with her brother, her 39 year employment for General Electric, her activism in unions during her employment and retirement, as well as her charitable activities where she pursued civil, housing, pension, women's and senior citizen's rights.
50.89 cubic ft. (about 50.89 boxes)
The Sigma Pi Phi, Beta Psi Boulé Records document the history and day-to-day operations of the Beta Psi Boulé. A professional fraternity, Sigma Pi Phi was founded on May 15, 1904 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and its members are distinguished African American men with college and graduate degrees. Beta Psi is the fraternity’s 69th Boulé founded on May 5, 1984 in the Capital District of New York.
9.96 cubic ft. (about 9.96 boxes)
The Center was formed in 1981 by an alliance of non-profit activist organizations in order to provide a central location, office space, and basic services for activist groups in Albany, New York.
4.3 cubic ft. (about 4.3 boxes)
Organized in 1974, the Southern Coalition on Jails and Prisons was formed to promote greater awareness of the problems of prisons and corrections, improve communication between the prison population and the outside world, and advocate for alternatives to the death penalty.
10.5 cubic ft. (about 10.5 boxes)
The Ivan Steen Papers document Steen's service as a Professor of History at the University at Albany as well as his oral history projects.
5.29 cubic ft. (about 5.29 boxes)
The Norman Studer Papers document his career as both an educator and ardent Catskill folklorist. The collection includes significant material relating to his work as director of the Downtown Community School in New York City and Camp Woodland in the Catskills.
18.84 cubic ft. (about 18.84 boxes)
Since its establishment in 1966 as the Urban League of the Albany N.Y. Area has campaigned for voter registration, housing, education, social services and other issues of concern to African Americans and others in the New York State Capital District.
8.5 cubic ft. (about 8.5 boxes)
The Versatile Club Records document the day-to-day operations of the first 100 years of this community organization founded in 1910.
0.50 cubic ft. (about 0.50 boxes)
This collection contains material related to Deacon Ernest L. Williams.
21 cubic ft. (about 21 boxes)
The collection documents the history of the YWCA of Albany, which was founded in 1888 by a group of women led by Mrs. Acors Rathbun in order to provide housing and recreational activities for young women searching for work. Through the years, the organization expanded to include classes, childcare, athletics, essay contests, teen issue programs, and an annual awards dinner honoring women. Strengths include the extensive photographic material and meeting minutes from the board of trustees and directors. The collection is weakest at the beginning and end of the YWCA of Albany's existence.
20.21 cubic ft. (about 20.21 boxes)