Collections listed by subject
The Department of African American studies documents the papers and administrative processes of the development and implementation of an African American Studies department at the University at Albany in the late 1960s to the late 1970s.
2.33 cubic ft. (about 2.33 boxes)
The Jewish Community of the Albany, New York area is featured in the Collection which was brought together to show community involvement in the region by the Greater Albany Jewish Federation and the University Libraries of the University at Albany, SUNY. This collection contains photographs, meeting minutes, commemoration papers, local area newspapers, academic articles, community reports, and a prayer book.
2.03 cubic ft. (about 2.03 boxes)
The collection consists of 157 volumes of business books and three boxes of financial materials, correspondence, books, scrapbooks and diaries relating to the Bell Family and the Abraham Bell and Son Company.
22 cubic ft. (about 22 boxes)
The Brothers was a civil rights group that was active in Albany, New York for several years beginning in 1966.
2.1 cubic ft. (about 2.1 boxes)
Founded by a group of Albany area residents who organized to prevent the Springboks, the all-white South African national rugby team representing the apartheid South African government, from playing a game against the American all-star rugby team in Albany scheduled in 1981.
Created in 1950 in part to study education in school districts. The Center's mission was to identify the research factors that aid in constructing and maintaining strong democratic communities and to promote such factors through education.
14.2 cubic ft. (about 14.2 boxes)
In the summer of 1984, Jessie Davis, a young Black man was shot and killed by police in his Arbor Hill apartment. His killing served to galvanize the African-American community in Albany to seek change in the way the Police Department treated community residents. One outgrowth of the community's outrage over the killing was the birth of The Center for Law and Justice in 1985. The Center helped to keep the case before the public, gave moral support to the Davis family, assisted attorneys with a federal lawsuit against the city, and organized community demonstrations and fundraising events to cover legal expenses related to the family's suit. The Center's overall mission has been to promote the empowerment of people to change what they believed was the oppressive nature of the total criminal justice system, although the organization has continued to focus much of its work on policing issues. Dr. Alice P. Green, founder and Executive Director of the Center for Law and Justice, Inc. donated 13 boxes of records to the M.E. Grenander Special Collections and Archives at the University at Albany Library in June 2000. In November 2000, three more boxes were donated.
12.75 cubic ft. (about 12.75 boxes)
This collection contains files (photocopies) of the Emergency Rescue Committee, founded in June 1940 in New York by German and American intellectuals and academics soon after the Nazi invasion of France. The files contain letters, registration cards, and other materials of an organization based in New York City concerning some 170 Émigrés and their efforts to flee to the United States from Nazi persecution. Includes files about Alfred Döblin, Hans Natonek, Nelly Sachs, Fritz von Unruh, and Friderike Zweig.
3 cubic ft. (about 3 boxes)
These records document the activities and membership of the Empire State Federation of Women's Clubs (ESFWC) - the umbrella organization of New York State African-American women's groups - from 1938-1991. The collection also includes records from affiliated organizations: the National Association of Colored Women's Clubs (NACWC) and the Northeast Federation of Women's Clubs (NFWC).
3.46 cubic ft. (about 3.46 boxes)
This collection contains records of the activities of Dr. Alice P. Green from her days as a student of criminal justice at the University at Albany, SUNY, through her career as founder and executive director of the Center for Law and Justice in Albany.
1.89 cubic ft. (about 1.89 boxes)
The collection documents the activism of the Albany-based James Connolly Irish Republican Club during the mid-late 1970s through the Club's revival in 2015.
0.2 cubic ft. (about 0.2 boxes)
Contains records from the Department of Judaic Studies, which was formed in 1970. Consists primarily of multimedia instructional materials.
12.6 cubic ft. (about 12.6 boxes)
The collection documents the Jewish community in New York's Capital Region.
0.4 cubic ft. (about 0.4 boxes)
The M.C. Lawton Civic and Cultural Club Records showcase the operations of the first black organization in Albany that was actively involved in community service and educational advancement, which was founded in 1919.
1.13 cubic ft. (about 1.13 boxes)
The Henry S. Manley Papers contain materials related to Manley's legal career, research materials related to Native American issues (including material used for Manley's book <emph render="italic">The Treaty of Fort Stanwix, 1784</emph>), and some of his personal papers.
2.26 cubic ft. (about 2.26 boxes)
The Tanya M. Melich Papers contain materials relating to the political landscape of the United states throughout the latter half of the twentieth century, as well as various social movements with a particular emphasis on Women's rights.
31.4 cubic ft. (about 31.4 boxes)
Records document concerns for discrimination in housing and employment and for the recruitment of black professionals from colleges and universities to the area. The records also show the Branch's involvement with area social service providers, labor unions, and other community organizations, as well as with General Electric, as the area's major employer.
National Association For The Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Albany New York Branch Records
Collection of Records and materials from 1966-1987
3.2 cubic ft. (about 3.2 boxes)
National Association of Black Social Workers, Capital District Chapter Records document the organization's history and activities with various forms
17 cubic ft. (about 17 boxes)
State University of New York, Borad of Trustees Records document the activities of all of the State University of New York campus statewide from
6.4 cubic ft. (about 6.4 boxes)
Since its establishment in 1966 as the Urban League of the Albany N.Y. Area has campaigned for voter registration, housing, education, social services and other issues of concern to African Americans and others in the New York State Capital District.
8.5 cubic ft. (about 8.5 boxes)
The Versatile Club Records document the day-to-day operations of the first 100 years of this community organization founded in 1910.
0.50 cubic ft. (about 0.50 boxes)