M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives

UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES

Finding Aid for the
UNIVERSITY COUNCIL
RECORDS, 1844–1939, 1965–1985, 1992-1995

(UA-100)

For reference queries contact Grenander Department Reference staff or (518)-437-3935.

Finding Aid Compiled by
Jean Kemble
Geoffrey P. Williams
May 20, 1991







M. E. Grenander Department of Special Collections & Archives 
University Libraries / University at Albany / State University of New York 
1400 Washington Avenue / Albany, New York 12222 / (518) 437-3935


VOLUME: 5.5 cubic ft.

ACQUISITION: All items in this manuscript group were transferred to the University Libraries, M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives by the Office of the President and the Secretary to the University Council.

ACCESS: Access to typescript records is unrestricted. Access to the original hand written minutes is available on consultation with the University Archivist.

COPYRIGHT: The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives will provide information about copyright owners and other restrictions, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the researcher. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the Head of Special Collections and Archives.


TABLE OF CONTENTS

Administrative History

Chairmen of the University Council

Scope and Content Note

Series Description

Box and Folder List:


University Council
Administrative History

Back to table of contents

The University Council is the successor to the Executive Committee of the State Normal School at Albany created by "An Act for the establishment of a Normal School" passed by the State Legislature on May 7, 1844. The Executive Committee so established consisted of five members, one of whom was to be the Superintendent of the Common Schools, later the Superintendent of Education. The Committee reported to the Superintendent of Education and the Regents of the University of the State of New York. The presence of the Superintendent of the Common Schools (and his successors, the Superintendents and Commissioners of Education) on the principal governing body of the Normal School--State College for Teachers between 1844 and 1937 undoubtedly meant that the Albany Board was in a strong position to influence school policy. The Executive Committee and its successors have always included prominent local professionals, business leaders, and politicians with an interest in education.

The Executive Committee was responsible for the "care, management and government of the school," were bound to make "full and detailed reports" to the superintendent and Regents, and were to "recommend the rules and regulations which they deemed necessary and proper for said school." The Executive Committee exercised wide powers at the Normal School, extending from the supervision of hiring and dismissing faculty and staff to the choice of texts and the methods of teaching. In 1909 the title of the Executive Committee was changed to Board of Trustees, but the composition and powers of the newly named Board remained the same.

A 1928 reorganization of education in New York resulted in the replacement of the Board of Trustees by a Board of Visitors in 1929. This new Board consisted of seven persons (an increase of two) appointed by the Board of Regents upon the recommendation of the Commissioner of Education. The Board of Visitors continued to have the right to nominate presidents, "visit and inspect" the school, and was mandated to meet at least three times a year. The Board's powers to "visit and inspect" specifically included the power to "keep themselves informed as to the teaching force, activities and other need of such schools." The Board was also required to make periodic reports to the Regents. The Rules of the Board of Regents specifically directed boards to pay special attention to the "teaching force, activities and other needs of such colleges" and "to the physical condition of the school plant--repairs, replacements, new buildings, equipment...."

Despite the continuity of powers between the original Executive Committee and the Board of Visitors it is apparent that during the twentieth century, due to the increased size and complexity of the College, the active administrative role of the Board had diminished. During the Brubacher presidency, 1915-1939, the minutes of the Board were dominated by the President's reports and program proposals. Under President Sayles, 1940-48, the minutes of only two board meeting exist. Perhaps in response to this development the NYSCT Board was instructed by the Regents in 1944, along with other Boards, to take an "active interest in the affairs of the Teachers College and to report annually upon the activities of the Board, including such recommendations as the Board wishes to bring to the attention of the Board of Regents." No evidence exists as to whether this charge was actually carried out.

With the creation of the State University of New York in 1948 and university-wide Board of Trustees the oversight functions and indeed the continued functioning of the Board of Visitors became less clear. The omnibus State University Education Bill effective September 1, 1953, called for the continued existence of current Boards of Visitors. While no minutes have been found to for the Board of Visitors or its successor, the College Council, between 1945 and 1960, we do have evidence that the Board of Visitors continued to function in some capacity until at least 1952,''.

The Board of Visitors appears to have been replaced by the College Council in 1954. According to Section 356 of the Education Law, Chapter 525, the function of the College Council was to "supervise locally" subject to the "general management, supervision and control and in accordance with rules established by the state university trustees, the operations and affairs of each state-operated institution of the State University...." No longer were the Regents and the Commissioner of Education were the direct overseers of the State College for Teachers. The Commissioner of Education did not have a seat on the Council. The College Council was to consist of nine members appointed by the Governor and was presided over by a chairman, also appointed by the Governor. The specific powers reserved to the College Council were to nominate candidates for President; to review all major plans of the President and to make recommendations respecting those plans to the Board of Trustees of SUNY; to make regulations regarding the maintenance of buildings, grounds and equipment, to review budget requests; foster advisory citizen's committees; name buildings and grounds "make regulations governing the conduct and behavior of students"; "prescribe for an. exercise supervision over student housing and safety"; make annual and special reports to the trustees as needed; perform other duties as assigned by the trustees; and "make and establish, and from time to time alter and amend, such regulations pertaining to the affairs of its institution, not inconsistent with law or the rules of the state university trustees may be necessary or appropriate to carry out effectively the foregoing powers and duties."

The College Council was renamed the University Council in 1963. The functions, powers, and reporting responsibility remain unchanged with the current Council.

In 1975, the Council was enlarged by the addition of one non-voting student member as the result of the passage of Chapter 587 of the New York State Education Law, 1975.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes

Back to history

1. Laws of New York , Chapter 311, pp. 464-65. The Executive Committee maintained a standing committee on textbooks which examined and approved all proposed texts. In 1853 the Board refused Principal Woolworth's request that professors be allowed to lecture on the grounds that lecturing promoted "inattention" and that the professors words should not substitute for "other and more advanced scholars." By this decision they reaffirmed the primacy of recitation as the mode of instruction. Assembly Documents, 1853, II, No. 20, P. 6, cited in William Marshall French and Florence Smith French, College of the Empire State, A Centennial History of the New York State College for Teachers at Albany , [Albany], 1944, p. 96.
2. In 1909 the title of the Executive Committee was changed to Board of Trustees, but the composition and powers of the newly named Board remained the same.
3. The Board still reported jointly to the Commissioner of Education and the Regents and both appointed Board members. The Commissioner of Education continued to sit on the Board. The Board specifically had the power "among other things to recommend the rules and regulations which they may deem necessary and proper for the said college." In addition they were to possess all the powers of the boards of the state normal schools which included the management of buildings and property, and the ability to "prescribe the course of study to be pursued" subject to the commissioner's approval. Education Law, Chapter 21, article 26, section 679, 661, 662, 663, 664 Consolidated Laws of the State of New York, 1909, vol. 1, pp. 717, 711.
4. Laws of New York , 1928, Chapter 303, pp. 784-5. Actually a letter from the Commissioner of Education to the State College for Teachers Board of Trustees on January 10, 1927 had instructed the Board of Trustees that it was to be called a Board of Visitors from that date forward. Minutes of the Board of Visitors, January 10, 1927, p. 1199. The NYSCT Board of Trustees apparently ignored that letter because the Board continued to call itself a Board of Trustees in its minutes until May 20, 1929. Ibid.
5. Ibid.
6. Herman Cooper to Mr. Newton B. Vanderzee, August 26, 1944.
7. Memorandum regarding "State University omnibus bill" for Presidents of State University Teachers Colleges from Herman Cooper, Executive Dean for Teacher Education, March 23, 1953 .
8. The President’s Annual Report for 1947-48 was addressed to the Board of Visitors. A letter from President Evan R. Collins to Miss Gladys McGarth of SUNY Central dated December 8, 1949 contains an attachment listing the members of the Board, at that time chaired by Mr. Frederick McDonald, and a subsequent letter from Collins to Herman Cooper of SUNY Central, dated January 4, 1952, indicates that Mr. Frederick McDonald was still Chairman of the Board of Visitors. Office of the President Records, President John M. Sayles Papers, Annual report 1947-48 folder; President Evan R. Collins Papers, State University of New York, 1949-54 folder; Executive Dean for Teachers Education, 1947-53 folder.
9. The President's Annual Report for 1947-48 was addressed to the Board of Visitors. A letter from President Evan R. Collins to Miss Gladys McGarth of SUNY Central dated December 8, 1949 contains an attachment listing the members of the Board, at that time chaired by Mr. Frederick McDonald, and a subsequent letter from Collins to Herman Cooper of SUNY Central, dated January 4, 1952, indicates that Mr. Frederick McDonald was still Chairman of the Board of Visitors.. Office of the President Records, President John M. Sayles Papers, Annual Report 1947-48 folder; President Evan R. Collins Papers, State University of New York, 1949-54 folder; Executive Dean for Teachers Education, 1947-53 folder.
10. McKinney 's 1953 Session Laws of New York , Chapter 525, Section 356, pp. 629-30.


University Council
Chairmen of the University Council

Back to table of contents

Executive Committee, 1844-1909
HON. SAMUEL YOUNG, Secretary of State and Superintendent of Common Schools, June 20, 1844 to February 3, 1845
HON. NATHANIEL S. BENTON, Superintendent of Common Schools, February 3, 1845 to January 1,1848
HON. CHRISTOPHER MORGAN, Superintendent of Common Schools, January 1, 1848 to January 1,1852
HON. HENRY S. RANDALL, Superintendent of Common Schools, January 1, 1852 to January, 1854 HON. ELIAS W. LEAVENWORTH, Superintendent of Common Schools, January 1, 1854 to April 4, 1854 HON. VICTOR M. RICE, Superintendent of Public Instruction, April 4, 1854 to April 4, 1857
HON. HENRY H. VAN DYCK, Superintendent of Public Instruction, April 4, 1857 to April 19, 1861 EMERSON W. KEYES, Acting Superintendent of Public Instruction, April 19, 1861 to February 1, 1862 HON. VICTOR M. RICE, Superintendent of Public Instruction, February 1, 1862 to April 7, 1868HON. ABRAM B. WEAVER, Superintendent of Public Instruction, April 7, 1868 to April 7, 1874
HON. NEIL GILMOUR, Superintendent of Public Instruction, April 7, 1874 to April 7, 1883
HON. WILLIAM B. RUGGLES, Superintendent of Public Instruction, April 7, 1883 to December 31, 1885
HON JAMES E. MORRISON, Acting Superintendent of Public Instruction, January 1, 1886 to until April 7, 1886
HON. ANDREW S. DRAPER, Superintendent of Public Instruction, April 7, 1886 to April 7, 1892
HON. JAMES F. CROOKER, Superintendent of Public Instruction, April 7, 1892 to April 7, 1895
HON. CHARLES R. SKINNER, Superintendent of Public Instruction, April 7, 1895 to September 30, 1903 HON. ANDREW S. DRAPER, Commissioner of Education, April 4, 1904 to January 30, 1913

Board of Trustees, 1909-1928
HON. ANDREW S. DRAPER, Commissioner of Education, April 4, 1904 to January 30, 1913
HON. JOHN H. FINLEY, Commissioner of Education, June 9, 1914 to January 10, 1921
HON. FRANK PIERREPONT GRAVES, Commissioner of Education, September 17, 1921 to January 13,1937

Board of Visitors, 1928-1953
HON. FRANK PIERREPONT GRAVES, Commissioner of Education, September 17, 1921 to January 13, 1937
NEWTON B. VAN DERZEE, judge, May 24, 1937 to at least January 3, 1945
FREDERICK MCDONALD, banker, inclusive dates are uncertain, however he was chairman between December 3, 1949, and January 4, 1952

College Council, 1954-1962
WALTER H. WERTIME (acting Chairman), public servant, 1954-56[?] [Cited in New York, Legislative Manual. 1955, p. 520]
TRUMAN CAMERON, businessman, July 1956 through December 31, 1966 [Listed as Chairman in New York, Legislative Manual 1956, p. 545.]

University Council, 1963-
TRUMAN CAMERON, businessman, July 1956 through December 31, 1966
J. VANDERBILT STRAUB, attorney, October 25, 1967 to June 9, 1978
THOMAS WHALEN, politician, July 30, 1978 to June 14, 1983
ALAN V. ISELIN, businessman, September 13, 1983 to 1990
RICHARD HANFT (acting Chairman), attorney, 1990-1991
JOHN HOLT-HARRIS, attorney, 1991


University Council
Scope and Content Note

Back to table of contents

Includes meeting minutes and supporting documentation of the Executive Committee of the New York State Normal School, 1844-90; the Board of Trustees 1890-1928; and Board of Visitors, 1928-39, of the New York State College for Teachers; and minutes, correspondence, reports, and publications of the University Council, 1965-85. The power of the original Executive Committee, Board of Trustees, Board of Visitors extended to the hiring and firing of all employees, perscribing the curriculum including the texts used in courses. These bodies reported jointly to the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York and the Superintendent of Eucation, the later individual serving as Chairman of successive bodies. The powers of the University Council, created by the SUNY Board of Trustees in 1954, are far more restricted, being limited to nominating presidents, naming buildings, and reviewing and approving major policy changes and initiatives.

The records contain the minutes of the Executive Committee (1844-1909), Board of Trustees (1909-28), the Board of Visitors (1928-39, 1944-45), and the University Council, 1965-89. The records illustrate the changes in the role of this body. They also provide an oversight of the issues affecting the University and its predecessor bodies during these years. During the nineteenth and the early twentieth century the Executive Committee was very involved in the day-to-day affairs of the State Normal School, the State Normal College, and the New York State College for Teachers. It was responsible for the hiring of teachers, the curriculum, the selection of text books, school regulations, the conditions of the school buildings, and the preparation of the budget. These issues are prominent throughout the minutes. Other issues considered by the Executive Committee include: negotiation with Albany City Council concerning the provision of a building for the State Normal School, 1844; the establishment of an Experimental School, the practice teaching school which eventually became the Milne School, 1845; funding for the education of Native American youth, 1849; the acquisition of new grounds at Willett Street and Madison Avenue, 1883; the planning and building of the present downtown campus, 1906-07; the establishment of a four year rather than a two year curriculum, 1908. Prominent issues considered by the Board of Trustees included the impact on the German department of the decline of German majors, 1919; the inadequate number of student living facilities, and the submission of plans to rectify this situation, 1920-26. The Board of Visitors formulated a response to the National Defense Council of Albany's condemnation of students who were unwilling to bear arms in the event of a war in Europe, 1933; and established an the Emergency College to help high school graduates who would otherwise have been unable to finance their education plans during the Great Depression in 1933.

The role of the current University Council is quite different from that of its predecessor bodies. It now acts primarily as an advisory body to the University. It plays a significant role in shaping relations between the University and the State Legislature, and it also acts as a bridge between the University and the community. The minutes of the late 1960s through the 1980s illustrate the Council's role in each of these areas. Ongoing concerns throughout this period include institutional policy development and implementation, the establishment of University regulations, academic programs, hiring and admissions, the University budget, honoring professional staff and members of the community committed to the development of the University, naming ground and buildings. Other more specific concerns during this period include: discussions of the possible establishment of University Law and Medical Schools, 1967; the need for a clear statement from the Council concerning student dissent and freedom of speech, 1967; the Board of Trustees resolution ordering all SUNY institutions to submit regulations concerning student conduct with the Secretary of State, 1968; the need for a narcotics education program on campus, 1968; the establishment of the Department of Afro-American Studies, 1969; student unrest on campus, 1971; Affirmative Action, 1972; the Chancellor's request that the University assume responsibility for an Education Opportunity Center in Albany, 1973; the decision of the Commissioner of Education to deregister the Ph.D. programs in English and History, 1975-76; the University's Task Force on Priorities and Resources, 1976; the termination of seven Doctoral, five Masters and eight Bachelors programs, 1976; the need for more off-campus housing, 1978; drug and alcohol abuse, 1980; the Student Assembly's structure and concerns, 1981; the establishment of awards to members of the community for their service to the university, 1983; the need to strengthen and expand the relationship between campus research activities and the private sector through the formation of a Center for Research and Development, 1984; the expansion of computing facilities, 1985; student health issues, in particular AIDS, 1987; minority issues, programs, and enrollment, 1987.

The University at Albany Libraries' Digital Collections database provides full-text access to the Annual Reports of the Annual Reports of the New York State Normal School Executive Committee for the years 1844-1870.


University Council
Series Description

Back to table of contents

Series 1: Council Minutes, 1844-1939, 1944-1945, 1965-1989

This series contains the hand and typescript minutes of the University Council and its predecessor bodies. The approved minutes of the Executive Committee, Board of Trustees, and the Board of Visitors (1844-1939, 1944-45) are supplemented by correspondence, annual budgets, and annual reports. The minutes are available in the original hand and typewritten bound volumes, 1844-1939, 1945, kept by the secretary to the various committees and boards, and a typewritten transcription, 1844-1939, commissioned by President Brubacher in 1938. No minutes exist for the College Council (1954-62), though one agenda from 1960 is in the records. The minutes of the University Council (1963-89), contain several reports and budget documents, however the bulk of the correspondence, reports, and peripheral material considered by the University Council are found in the correspondence files. Arranged chronologically.

Series 2: University Council Secretary's Correspondence, 1963-1989

This series contains executive secretary correspondence, annual reports, resolutions, committee reports, and other materials considered by the University Council. It also includes membership lists (1971-79), and files on individual Council members, containing letters of appointment, resumes, etc., (1967-79). Arranged primarily chronologically with a small alpha file at the end.

Series 3: Secretary's Subject File, 1992-1995


University Council
Box and Folder List

Back to table of contents

Series 1: Council Meeting Minutes, 1844-1939, 1944-1945, 1965-1989

Box 1
Folder

Executive Committee, 1844-1909

Minutes, 1844-1909
Minutes, 1853-1868
Minutes, 1869-1888
Minutes, 1889-1909

Board of Trustees, 1909-1928

Minutes, 1909-1918
Minutes, 1919-1923
Minutes, 1924-1928

Board of Visitors, 1928-1953

Minutes, May 1929-Aug. 1939

College Council, 1954-1962

Agenda & Enclosure Regarding New Site, Nov. 28, 1960 University Council, 1963-present

Minutes and Agenda, May 1965-Dec. 1971
Minutes and Agenda, Jan. 1972-Dec. 1974
Minutes and Agenda, Jan. 1975-Dec. 1976
Minutes and Agenda, Jan. 1977-Dec. 1977
Minutes and Agenda, Jan. 1978-June 1978
Minutes and Agenda, July 1978-May 1979
Minutes and Agenda, June 1979-Dec. 1980


University Council
Box and Folder List

Back to table of contents

Series 2: Secretary's Correspondence File, 1963-1989

Box 1
Folder

Correspondence, December 1974 Correspondence, January 1975-May 1977 Annual Report, 1977
Correspondence, June 1977-December 1978 Correspondence, January-December 1979 Committees (two folders), 1979-80
1980
Meetings, May 4, 1980
Meetings, October 27, 1980
Meetings, November 24, 1980
Meetings, December 22, 1980
Committees (two folders), 1980-81
1981
Meetings, January 26, 1981
Meetings, February 23, 1981
Meetings, March 26, 1981
Meetings, April 1981
Meetings, May 28, 1981
Meetings, July 14, 1981
Meetings, September 24, 1981
Meetings, December 3, 1981
Committees, (two folders), 1981-82
1982
Meetings, January 18, 1982
Meetings, February 26, 1982
Meetings, March 24, 1982
Meetings, May 4, 1982
Meetings, September 9, 1982
Meetings, October 26, 1982
Meetings, December 7, 1982
Task Forces, 1982
Committees, 1982-83
1983
Meetings, February 14, 1983
Meetings, April 26, 1983
Meetings, June 14, 1983

Box 2
Folder

1983
Meetings, September 13, 1983
Meetings, October 25, 1983
Meetings, December 8, 1983
Citizens Advisory Committee, 1983 Regional Advisory Committees, 1983 Special Brunch, September 19, 1983 1984
Committees, 1984
Meetings, January 26, 1984
Meetings, March 1, 1984
Meetings, April 5, 1984
Meetings, May 17, 1984
Meetings, June 28, 1984
Meetings, September 13, 1984
Meetings, November 1, 1984
Meetings, December 20, 1984
1985
Committees, 1985
Meetings, February 28, 1985
Meetings, April 4, 1985
Meetings, May 9, 1985
Meetings, June 27, 1985 September 26, 1985
Meetings, November 7, 1985
Meetings, December 12, 1985
1986
Committees, 1986
Meetings, January 30, 1986
Meetings, March 27, 1986
Meetings, May 8, 1986
Meetings, June 24, 1986 September 23, 1986
Meetings, December 9, 1986
1987
Annual Report, August, 1977
Meetings, February 3, 1987
Meetings, March 24, 1987
Meetings, May 12, 1987
Meetings, June 23, 1987
Meetings, October 28, 1987
Meetings, November 17, 1987 1988
Annual Reports, July 1, 1987-June 30, 1988
Meetings, March 24, 1988
Meetings, April 28, 1988
Meetings, June 9, 1988
Meetings, October 6, 1988

1989
Annual Report, July 1988-June 1989
Meetings, January 26, 1989
Meetings, March 23, 1989
Meetings, May 4, 1989
Meetings, June 29, 1989
November 19, 1989 Alpha File

Dormitory Names, October 1964
Members
Buhrmaster, Kenneth E., Sept. 1970-Dec. 1975 Cameron, Truman D., Feb. 1967
Carlson, C. Theodore, March-April, 1976 Filippone, John F., June 1967-Jan. 1974, undated Hudson, Carl C., Oct. 1973-April 1976
Kouray, Athena C., April 1979, undated Lee, Harry O., July 1967-Feb. 1978
Looper, Victor K., May 1972-Aug. 1979, undated Posner, Elinore H., July-Aug. 1987, undated
Straub, J. Vanderbilt, Dec. 1965-Feb. 1979, undated Wagner, Wayne E., Sept. 1971-May, 1975, undated
Membership Lists, Dec. 1971-Oct. 1979, undated
Miscellaneous, Oct. 1974-1978, undated
Parking Committee, Nov. 1968-Sept. 1972, undated Resolutions, Oct. 1964-March 1981, undated Rules and Regulations, Nov. 1971-1975, undated

Correspondence, 1988-89

University Council, General, 1989-90
University Council: Special Meeting - August 10, 1989 to view Field House Plan 1989
University Council Retreat
University Council: September 28-29, 1989
University Council: Meeting September 11, 1989
University Council: November 9, 1989
University Council: December 21, 1989
University Council: February 8, 1990
University Council: May 10, 1990
University Council: June 21, 1990
University Council Annual Report: 1989-90
University Council Annual Report : 1990-91
Annual Reports-Correspondence
University Council: General 1990-91
University Council: October 4, 1990
University Council: November 15, 1990
University Council: December 20, 1990
University Council: February 14, 1991
University Council: May 9, 1991
Evan R. Collins Circle - Naming of the Circle
University Council: General 1991-92
Dean for School of Business Resumes
University Council: October 3, 1991
University Council: November 7, 1991
University Council Retreat: November 7-8, 1991
University Council: December 19, 1991
University Council: February 13, 1992
University Council: March 26, 1992
University Council: May 7, 1992


University Council
Box and Folder List

Back to table of contents

Series 3: Secretary's Subject File, 1992-95

Box 1
Folder

General 1992-93

Council Meeting, Sept. 24, 1992
Discussed reorganization of College of Arts & Sciences, ASRC new technology center grant, the SUNY Oneonta incident, general education requirements, 25% of incoming students of color, Coalition for a Just Community, expanded emergency loan program, Sexual Assault Protocol, Women’s Empowerment Project, campus safety. Voted to name Husted 002 for Edith Tanenbaum Rudolf, Class of 1947, for $25,000.00 Capital Campaign contribution.

Council Meeting, Nov. 12, 1992
Discussed University off-campus student safety campaign, naming of Mariam Snow Mathes Historical Children’s Literature Collection in return for “substantial” contribution, Capital Campaign update, the need to limit Distinguished Service Medals, the changing environment of campuses with a more diverse student body, the Just Community campaign, critical reports about the food service in USA Today. Includes photos of Council Members Diego Munoz (contact print), ?, ?.

Council Meeting, Dec. 17, 1992
Discussed 1992-93 Final Budget Narrative, GRI, likelihood of additional budget cuts, intersession savings, campus & community safety, Somalia program faculty’s support for US mission to Somalia, proposed differential tuition, student opposition to tuition increase, sexual harassment workshop for student leaders, inquiry into death of Robert Altman, Professor Walter Gibson’s X-Ray Optics presentation

Council Meeting, Feb. 11, 1993
Discussed Governor’s Budget, steady state tuition but proposed elimination of TAP for graduate students, proposed “race relations” dialogue, student initiatives to address race relations, City of Albany’s heightened awareness of need for student safety, Campaign for Albany update including $350,000 Key Bank contribution to CESTM. Edith Tannenbaum Rudolph room dedication set for February 17.

Council Meeting, Mar. 25, 1993
Discussed former President Evan Revere Collins’ death and establishment of fund to support Collins Fellow Program, need to attract best students by outreach and special housing, Presidential Honors Program, President Swygert’s appointment by Governor Cuomo as chair on special commission on educational funding, attempt to restore TAP funding, report on Health Center, naming of east lobby of Education Building for former Professor Charles Currien Smith in honor of major contribution.

Council Meeting, May 6, 1993
Collins Fellow Awards to go to Dean Francine Frank an Dean Sung Bok Kim, 61 students admitted through Presidential Honors Program, 423 State Street & Walker family connections with University, document “Community Rights & Responsibilities” discussed, Student Health Service and proposed dropping of overnight care, 50,000 sq. ft. Campus Center extension construction.

General, 1993-94

Council Meeting, September 23, 1993
Voted to name Lecture Center 25 for Bernard Arbit Lecture Center, raised illegal parking fee from $25 to $50.

Council Meeting, November 19, 1993
Includes discussion of Freedom of Speech and “hate speech” on campus.

Council Retreat, November 19-20, 1993
Issues discussed include new General Education Requirement for Class of 1993-, campus security and judicial actions, University budget.

Council Meeting, Dec. 16, 1993
Issues discussed include a Physical Plant review, Campus Center Extension, CESTM Planning, commercial advertising on campus, fundraising.

Council Meeting, February 10, 1994
Issues discussed include ASP charges against President Swygert of anti-semitism while at Temple University, new construction (CESTM & new library), need for location for School of Public Health, funding for proposed Excelsior High School, funding for student groups. Voted approval for naming M. E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives and James W. Corbett Laboratory in Physics Building.

Council Meeting, March 24, 1994
Issues discussed include the Sesquicentennial Celebration, proposed Excelsior High School, the Asian Pacific Conference, Division II Athletics and possible move to Division I, Captial Campaign.

Council Meeting, May 5, 1994
Issues discussed included scientific research & laboratories, Division II Athletics, Presidential Scholars Program, parking, CESTM, alcohol related advertising in RACC.

General 1994-95

Council Meeting (Special Meeting), August 8, 1994
Discussed move to Division II and implementation of Gender Equity

Council Meeting, September 22, 1994
Includes President’s report on enrollment, sexual assault, Campus Together Day, transfer students & articulation agreements with Community Colleges, a report on “Serve Albany Day” of students, reorts on faculty involvement in student reqruitment, Distinguished Service Medal nominees, emergency student loan funds, new telephone system in dorms providing computer connectivity.

Council Meeting, November 10, 1994
Discussed visit by President Clinton & Governor Cuomo, proposed reorganization of Student Health Center, campus construction projects and proposed Excelsior High School, proposed student sponsored lecture series, student living and drinking habits in Albany, military recruitment on campus, splitting commencement exercises, the effects of closing inpatient servies at the Student Health Center, vote to name West Wing of Business Administration Lobby for Anderson Consulting in return for major bequest, the budget.

Council Meeting, December 22, 1994
Presidents report on Kendra Gillis case, Lecture Center hostage crisis & health of Jason McEneny, the attempted canceling of finals by the Student Association President, improvement of campus security, Council’s approval of establishment of James W. Corbett Professorship in Physics thanks to $500,000 gift commitment from Professor Emeritus M. E. Grenander, a separate graduate student commencement at the RACC.

Teleconference Notes, February 3 and February 13, 1995
President tells Council members of dramatic cuts called for in Executive Budget and their potential impact on student enrollments, CESTM construction, the electronic library, ASRC, potential layoffs, EOP students currently enrolled and outlined models for dealing with the crisis.

Council Meeting, March 2, 1995
President reported on the reduction of state funding from approx. $80 million in 1989-90 to est. $35 million in 1995-96 & campus & SUNY efforts to deal with the shortfall, answered question about the status of EOP, vote to name ULB-15 for former College Librarian Mary Elizabeth Cobb.

Council Meeting, April 6, 1995
Discussed changes in Campus Conduct Code esp. re. proposed statement of authority to regulate serious off-campus behavior, need to make campus bus service self-supporting, selection of construction management firm for CESTM building, the budget, undergraduate and graduate admissions, Distinguished Service Medal awarded to Professor Emeritus M. E. Grenander & Mr. Guy Chamberlain, vote to name School of Business classroom Coopers & Lybrand classroom for $25,000 gift, vote to name Milne Library for Dr. Theodore Fossieck for $40,000 fundraising goal & Dr. Fossieck’s past generous support.

Council Meeting, May 18, 1995
Discussion of presidential search, budget, increasing undergraduate applications, Student Conduct Code with particular concern for off-campus conduct and “electronic communications,” and informal handling of low-level infractions, raising of parking, transportation, and student health fees approved, tribute to President Swygert’s leadership.


Reference E-mail | Find Collections | Find Other Historical Resources
About the Department | Department Services and Policies
View Exhibits | View Blog
Department Home Page

Last updated August 21, 2007