M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives

UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES

Finding Aid for the
SUNYA WOMEN'S CLUB
RECORDS, 1951-1992

(UA-900)

For reference queries contact Grenander Department Reference staff or (518)-437-3935.

Finding Aid Compiled by
Geoffrey A. Huth
July 12, 1989

Revised by
Claudia Miranda
February 20, 1995







M. E. Grenander Department of Special Collections & Archives 
University Libraries / University at Albany / State University of New York 
1400 Washington Avenue / Albany, New York 12222 / (518) 437-3935


VOLUME: 2.0 cubic feet

ACQUISITION: These records were transferred to the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections & Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany,by SUNYA Women's Club and its predecessors.

ACCESS: Access to these records is unrestricted except where otherwise noted in the finding aid.

COPYRIGHT: The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, the M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives will provide information about copyright owners and other restrictions, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the researcher. Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the Head of Special Collections and Archives.


TABLE OF CONTENTS

Administrative History

Series Descriptions

Box and Folder List:


SUNYA Women's Club, Records
Administrative History

Back to table of contents

The SUNYA Women's Club was founded in 1951 by Virginia Collins as the Faculty Wives Club of the New York State College for Teachers.  The club's purpose was to encourage the wives of faculty members to become acquainted.  The club's name went through a number of minor changes.  It was offically named the Faculty Wives Club of SUNY at Albany from 1959 through 1979 (commonly known as the SUNY Faculty Wives Club).  In 1980 the club adopted the current name, the SUNYA Women's Club.  Prominent club activities included sponsoring foreign/international students and helping them adjust to life in this country, organizing bloodmobiles, giving university tours, and providing volunteers for university activities.  Social and fund-raising activities included running fashion shows and teas.  The club also founded and ran a nursery (1951-66) in Brubacher and Sayles Halls open during club meetings.  The club is now divided into ten geographical areas.  Each of these areas has its own activities which aim at fostering closer ties between members of the university community.1  Current activities of the club include running a scholarship fund for one U.S. student per year, holding orientation for new faculty and spouses, raising funds for the Ann Lee Home by hosting a yearly fashion show, running bloodmobiles for the Red Cross, and maintaining a list of volunteers willing to work during university activities.


SUNYA Women's Club, Records
Series Description

Back to table of contents

Series 1: Subject Files, 1951-1992, 1.0 cubic ft.

The files contain bylaws, committee reports, correspondence, membership directories and lists, newsletters, publicity releases relating to the club's social and community activities. The files detail the club's community activities which included sponsoring foreign students, bloodmobiles, giving university tours, and providing volunteers for university activities.  Social and fund-raising activities included fashion shows and teas. The files are arranged in alphabetical order and chronologically there under by title.

Series 2: Scrapbooks, 1953-1981, 1984, 1987, 1.0 cubic ft.

The scrapbooks contain letters, membership directories, newsletters, newspaper clippings, and photographs kept by the SUNYA Women's Club.  The earlier scrapbooks (especially the first one, 1953-69) consist mainly of newspaper clippings with some letters and photographs.  The last two scrapbooks contain photographs of the social functions. The scrapbooks are arranged in chronological order.


SUNYA Women's Club Records,
Box and Folder List

Back to table of contents

Series 1: Subject Files, 1951-1992

Box 1

Announcements, 1960, 1968-72, 1974, 1976-78, 1983-84
Brochures, 1971, 1982-91
Budgets, 1977-83, 1986--91
Bylaws, 1959, 1966-67, 1970/72/74/76/78, 1980/82, 1990
Correspondence, 1959-66/68, 1970-79, 1982/87-88, 1991/92
Membership directories, 1966-72
Membership directories, 1952-65
Membership lists, 1966-67/68, 1973-76
Membership lists, 1978-90/91-92
Newsletters, 1972-81
Newsletters, 1979-85, 1990
New Faculty Wives Committee, 1956-66, 1969-71/72/74/76
Officers job descriptions, 1982-83
Newspaper clippings
Past presidents lists, 1951-90
Paid membership lists, 1972-83
Publicity releases, 1977-78, 1986-88
Report of board members 1, 1951-55
Report of board members 1 (cont.), 1955-59
Report of board members 2, 1958-62
Report of board members 2 (cont.), 1962-64
Report of board members 3, 1956-68
Report of board members 4, 1967-71
Report of board members 4 (cont.), 1972-79
Report of board members 5, 1975/78, 1980/83/86-89
Reports on nursery, 1952-66, 1973
Service committee reports, 1954-57, 1962-63, 1975-76
Zone reports, 1951-53/56-58, 1963-64/66-67, 1970-71/73-74/76-79, 1982/86


SUNYA Women's Club Records,
Box and Folder List

Back to table of contents

Series 2: Scrapbooks, 1953-1981, 1984, 1987

Box 2

Scrapbook, 1953-69
Scrapbook, 1970-80
Scrapbook, 1980-81
Scrapbook, 1981
Scrapbook, 1984, 1987


Reference E-mail | Find Collections | Find Other Historical Resources
About the Department | Department Services and Policies
View Exhibits | View Blog
Department Home Page

Last updated August 21, 2007