Code of Conduct
University at Albany
University Libraries’ Code of Conduct
(Revised September 2007, August 2016, April 2019)
The Code of Conduct, governing the use of the University Libraries, has been formulated to ensure fair access to resources and services, to provide facilities conducive to serious study and to protect the collections. Library users who do not comply with the library code may be asked to leave the libraries, have their borrowing privileges revoked, and/or be referred to Community Standards.
- The University Libraries prohibits smoking and the use of all tobacco products inside the libraries.
- Pets and other animals, with the exception of service dogs, are not permitted in the University Libraries. (Please note that the Code of Federal Regulations, 36 CFR 104 (2015), defines service animals as dogs only.)
- The consumption of non-alcoholic beverages in covered containers is permitted in the University Libraries except in areas where “No Beverages Allowed” signs are posted. The consumption of snack-sized foods is permitted in designated areas. Full meals, food deliveries, food parties and group meals are prohibited.
- Shirts and footwear are required to be worn by all library patrons while in a University library.
- Any conduct that intimidates, disrupts or interferes with the work, study and research of other library users and the University Libraries’ staff (e.g., rowdiness, loud noise or talking, offensive behavior, disrespectful behavior, intimidating behavior, harassment, assault) will not be tolerated. Patrons are expected to comply with posted noise level zones throughout the University Libraries.
- Attempted removal of library materials or property without check-out or without proper authorization is prohibited. When leaving the building, all library users must be prepared to permit an inspection of all cases, knapsacks, handbags and any other parcels. ( 9 NYCRR 300.29)
- Destruction or mutilation of library materials by marking, underlining, removing pages or portions of pages, removing bindings, or in any other way damaging or defacing library materials or property, is prohibited.
- Concealing library materials in the library for the exclusive use of an individual or group is prohibited.
- Being in an unauthorized area of any of the Libraries’ buildings, remaining in the Libraries’ buildings after closing, or after being asked to leave during emergency evacuation alarms, is prohibited. Users are expected to have completed all library transactions before closing time.
- The use of roller blades, skate boards, bicycles, hover boards and other wheeled recreational devices are not allowed in any of the University Libraries’ buildings.
- Solicitation activities such as requests for donations, sales or offers to sell goods or services, or raffling items and tickets are prohibited. Tabling, posting signs, leaflets, or advertisements by student organizations and others is not allowed in the University Libraries.
- Computers: priority use of computers is for faculty, staff and students of the University at Albany
- All users are expected to comply with the University’s “Responsible Use of Information Technology,” a policy approved by the UAlbany's University Senate which states in part:
Use of University computing and network resources must comply with all applicable federal, state and other applicable laws and regulations; SUNY policies; this document [Responsible Use of Information Technology] and all other applicable University policies, protocols, standards, procedures and guidelines; and all applicable contracts and licenses, which includes the laws of copyright, libel, trademark and privacy.
Users are also expected to comply with the University Libraries’ Policies Governing Usage of Information Commons Workstations (B:39)
Violations of this Code of Conduct may result in student discipline, employee discipline, guest suspension from access to all University libraries and/or criminal prosecution.