The University Libraries have twenty-eight laptops available. There are sixteen available at the University Library, ten at the Science Library, and two at the Dewey Library. They are available for loan at the circulation desk. UAlbany students, faculty, and staff may borrow laptops for up to four hours and must be returned 30 minutes before closing to the library from which the laptop was borrowed.
The laptops include Windows XP Pro operating system, a DVD/CD read/write drive, mouse, power cord, battery, USB port to connect a flash/thumb/portable drive, and internal wireless card. Files must be saved to a removable external drive. CD-R and DVD-R disks can be purchased at the University Library. Wireless printing is available through the ITS Uniprint System.
The following software is provided:
- Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007
- Internet Explorer 8 and Mozilla Firefox browsers
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Adobe Flash Player
- Windows Media Player, Real Player, and Quicktime
- Flash and Macromedia Shockwave plugins
- SSH/FTP Client
- CD Burner XP Pro
- Symmantec Anti-Virus
Borrowing a laptop is intended to be a simple and convenient service. Please be aware of the special overdue fines and terms that apply for laptop lending:
- Overdue fines are $15 per hour to a maximum of $225;
- Each item must be returned in good condition or the borrower will be billed for replacement. Each piece is individually priced and inventoried. Details are available at the time of loan.
- Laptops that are not returned within three days are considered lost and will be billed for replacement immediately. Registrar and Student Account blocks are applied immediately. An invoice for a lost laptop includes the full replacement value (approximately $2000), the maximum overdue fine ($225), and a $15 processing fee.
A current Laptop Lending Agreement must be on file before the laptop loan is complete. The agreement is available from the circulation desk of each library. You can read, print, and complete it in advance. View the Laptop Lending Agreement.
The Libraries is pleased to offer this additional service to our users. Please send comments to
, Head of Access Services or to
, Circulation Services Coordinator.