This month Dewey replaced our previous microfilm/microfiche scanner with a new U-Scan+ that is capable of scanning microfiche or microfilm. The U-Scan+ features a variety of easy to use tools that allow you to rotate and magnify the document as well as switch the view from negative to positive. In the future, users will also be able to operate the scanner with a touch-screen computer rather than navigating the features with a mouse.
Our scanning station is located at the rear left of the main level across from our current periodicals. To utilize the U-Scan+ station, follow the steps below for either microfiche or microfilm.
Instructions for Microfiche/Microcard
- Log in with your NetID and password.
- Using the knob, pull out the glass bed. Place the microfiche or card face up, between the glass plates with the top of the fiche facing the inside of the machine.
- Click "Start" in the program to begin and indicate the media type (card, fiche, etc.)
- Use the variety of tools for polarity and focus until the view is accurate.
- Select "Frame" to outline and select the image you wish to scan.
- You may then edit the image and select "add to cart" once you're satisfied.
- Select "Output" to save or print.
- You may then save or print the images. To save documents to a flashdrive, be sure to insert the flashdrive into the U-Scan unit and NOT the computer work station. if printing, the documents will be sent to Uniprint.
Instructions for Microfilm
- Log on with your NetID and password.
- Insert the microfilm on the silver rod on the bottom left of the unit. Make sure it locks in all the way before proceeding.
- Pull the knob in front to lift the glass.
- Take the film and put if over the first roller, in between the glass and over the second roller.
- Insert the beginning on the film in-between the reel to keep it still and make sure the end of the film catches on to the take up reel on the right
- Click "Start" in the program to begin and indicate the size of the microfilm.
- Use the arrows to help you scroll through the film
- Press "Stop" once you've reached the needed section.
- Select "Format" and rotate if necessary.
- Follow previous instructions for editing the frame needed before saving to a flashdrive/printing.
Need Additional Assistance?
Help is available! If you need assistance while operating the new U-Scan+ Scanner, ask any of the Dewey staff or librarians.
Blog Created By: Kristen Thornton-De Stafeno
Image Credit: Kristen Thornton-De Stafeno
Bookmark/Search this post with