M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives
M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives About these images M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives

Schenectady, New York

For reference queries contact Grenander Department Reference staff or (518)–437–3935.

BLACK STUDIO COLLECTION
Records, ca. 1960–1987, approximately 63,000 photographic negatives (APAP-308)
The Black Studio Collection of photographic negatives represents the photographs taken by the Black Studio, Inc., a commercial photography studio located in Schenectady, New York. Black Studio was founded in 1942 by Gene Black and purchased by Joseph Ianniello in 1975. The negatives are from 1960-1987 and include aerial shots, local businesses, passport portarits, weddings, advertising, and on-sight photography.


BOYD, RALPH F. (APAP-165)
Papers, 1940-1980, 2 cubic ft. (APAP–165)

The papers of Ralph Boyd document Boyd's years as an employee of General Electric in Schenectady, NY, and a member of the Schenectady Branch of the NAACP. The collection includes: General Electric manuals for foremen and on shop operations; election and other material from IUE Local 301, circa 1940s-1980; NAACP brochures and financial documents, circa 1960s-1970s; and material from the Human Rights Commission, undated.

BUTTON, DANIEL EVAN
Papers, 42 cubic ft. (APAP-231)

Daniel Evan Button was a U.S. Representative from New York. Button was born in Dunkirk, Chautauqua County, NY on November 1, 1917. He graduated from Wilmington High School (Delaware) in 1933, received his A.B. from the University of Delaware (Newark, DE) in 1938, and his M.A. from Columbia University in 1939. Button was an author and journalist working with newspapers in Wilmington, the Associated Press in New York City (1939-1947) and as executive editor of the Albany Times-Union (1960-1966). He served as the assistant to the president of the State University of New York (1952-1958) as well as on the staffs of the University of Delaware and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Button was elected as a Republican to the 19th and succeeding Congress (January 3, 1967-January 3, 1971) and was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection to Congress in 1970. This collection represents Button’s administrative actions during his two terms as a U.S. Representative: his contributions to legislation, files he received concerning domestic concerns and foreign relations, a sizeable amount of correspondence he received from Albany residents, military case files for every military branch, as well as press releases and teleprompt papers for televised events.

BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL WOMEN'S CLUB OF SCHENECTADY, NEW YORK
Records, 1927–2006, 37 cubic ft. (APAP-218)

These records document the history of the Business and Professional Women's Clubs of Schenectady, NY. The collection includes meeting minutes, news clippings, publications, programs, scrapbooks detailing the club's activities and accomplishments, and photographs. The Schenectady Club was organized in 1927. The collection also includes records retained by Club members involved in BPW activities at the district and state levels. The collection is not yet arranged and described.

CAPITAL AREA SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION
Records, 1949–1991, 5 cubic ft. (APAP–065)
Records consist of bulletins, publications, reports, and documentation of CASDA's programs and meetings. CASDA is a legally incorporated non–profit educational organization composed of eighty–one affiliated school districts in the NYS Capital District, Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES), and the School of Education at SUNY/Albany. Since 1949, CASDA has served to promote in–service programs for professional and support staff in constituent school districts.

CITIZENS' ENVIRONMENTAL COALITION
Records, 1973-2005, 44.25 cubic ft. and 6 videotapes (APAP-197)
The Citizens’ Environmental Coalition (CEC) consists of 110 community and environmental groups and over 14,000 individuals in New York. CEC is active in local, state, and national environmental issues. CEC’s primary purposes are to fight pollution in New York State, build a healthier environment, and to encourage, educate, and organize local citizens with similar goals. It supports democratic, grassroots activities, helps build coalitions, and "promote[s] corporate accountability and non-violent social justice values." The collection documents CEC’s efforts to support grassroots environmental activities. In some cases, the records demonstrate CEC’s efforts to advance an existing grassroots movement. In other examples, CEC’s records show it joining state, national, and international networks to become active in a larger environmental cause or project. CEC’s records also show extensive outreach activities - efforts to foster cooperation or stimulate new environmental activism among concerned citizens. The collection also contains records from various New York State offices and departments, the New York Environmental Institute, EPL Institute Inc., Superfund Monitoring Project, Toxics In Your Community Coalition, Healthy Schools Network, and the Office of Assemblyman Richard N. Gottfried, former New York State Assistant Majority Leader.

COMMITTEE FOR PROGRESSIVE LEGISLATION
Records, 1950-1993, 1.2 cubic ft. (APAP-123)
The Committee for Progressive Legislation was a group of Unitarian women who raised a liberal religious voice in politics by enlisting other members of the Albany and Schenectady First Unitarian Universalist Societies and working together with other organizations interested in dealing with social problems. The group focused on the repeal of New York State's abortion law and state funds for family planning clinics. Included in the collection are administrative files, records of the group's legislative interests, and research of social issues. Documentation on family planning matters as well as other social welfare issues is abundant in the collection. The numerous news clippings on abortion rights and family planning articles as well as correspondence between chair Kay Dingle and New York State legislators is a strong point of the collection.

COPLON, DAVID
Papers, 1979–1984, 5 cubic ft. (APAP–288)

Includes material from the Schenectady chapter of Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy (SANE); local chapter of ant-Vietnam war; Church and Laity United, Schenectady; and groups for Middle East peace, 1970s.

ENVIRONMENTAL ADVOCATES OF NEW YORK
Records, 1970–2000, 87.8 cubic ft. (APAP–104)

Environmental Advocates is a nonprofit, nonpartisan alliance of individuals and organizations working to protect New York's environment. The organization's activities include advocacy, coalition building, citizen education and policy development. Membership includes thousands of individual members and over 130 organizational members. It was established as the Environmental Planning Lobby (EPL) in Rye, New York in 1969 under the leadership of David Sive. The bulk of the records document the legislative activities of the organization from the 1980s through the late 1990s. The records consist of correspondence, notes, meeting minutes, reports, memorandums, publications, news clippings, promotional material, as well as the administrative files of Lee Wasserman, Val Washington, and Loretta Simon. The strength of the collection lies in the Legislative Issues series, which documents in detail the organization's position on issues, including acid rain, New York's Bottle Bill, energy, hazardous waste, pesticides, solid waste, and water, among others.

ENVIRONMENTAL CLEARINGHOUSE, INC. (ECOS)
Records, 1971–2004, 3.66 cubic ft. (APAP–180)
This collection documents the organization, thinking, activities and programs of the Environmental Clearinghouse, Inc. over a period of more than three decades. The earliest items date from 1971, but continuous records begin in 1972 and run up to 2004 with the largest portion of the records dating from the 1970s and 1980s. Topics that are documented in this collection include: advocating for riverside walkways and bikeways, environmentally-friendly art, biking, Camp Mohawk, canals, courses and lectures, river cruises, Earth Day/Week, Earth Month, ECOS exhibits, nature explorations, Grassroots Environmental Fair 1976, Gulf Oil Conservation Awards, hiking, household hazardous waste, ECOS library and resources, museum trips, picnics in the park, recycling, river clean-up, the Riverfront Committee, the Organization for Action for the Riverfront (O.A.R.), whose educational and informational services were Coordinated by ECOS (both groups shared members and functioned as Subcommittees of the Schenectady County Advisory Council), skiing, the 1990 ECOS symposium, and Thatcher State Park trips and nature walks.

FALCONER, RAYMOND
Papers, 1942–1999, 97 cubic ft. (UA–902.014)

The Raymond Falconer Papers include film, video tape, weather data, weather forecasts, and correspondence. Much of the collection is currently unavailable until treated for mold and mildew. Falconer was a meteorologist and early research associate at the Atmospheric Sciences Research Center (ASRC), and his papers document the establishment and research programs of the Whiteface Mountain Observatory which he directed, particularly meteorological and pollution studies. Falconer's Papers also contain a complete record of his scientific activities at the Mount Washington Observatory, 1942–1946; at General Electric in Schenectady where he headed the GE Weather Bureau, 1947–1957, including his work on Project Cirrus and long range weather forecasting, as an assistant to Vincent Schaefer at Munitalp, 1957–1958, and weather forecasts he gave for Albany, New York radio stations from the mid-1960s through the mid–1990s.

FREEDOM FORUM
Records, 1959-1978, .4 cubic ft. (APAP-124)

Freedom Forum was organized in 1943 in Schenectady, New York by the Subcommittee on Post War Planning of the Citizens Unity Committee of the Schenectady County Consolidated War Council. Freedom Forum's priority was to promote an interest in civic and educational topics of the day. The collection includes administrative files, news clippings, handwritten notes, and correspondence. Communication between Freedom Forum and speakers, or potential speakers, is most abundant in this collection. The correspondence files include a note to Freedom Forum from Teamsters Union leader Jimmy Hoffa. Correspondence also exists from scientist Dr. Thomas O. Paine, manager of Engineering Applications at General Electric, Dick Gregory, and John V. Lindsey. The largest correspondence files are the 1967 and 1968 files. These files reflect the organization's interest in the 1968 presidential election and its candidates. During those years the organization invited George Wallace, former governor of Alabama, Hubert Humphrey, and human rights activist Dick Gregory to share their opinions.

GLOVE CITIES AREA JOINT BOARD, AMALGAMATED CLOTHING AND TEXTILE WORKER'S UNION (ACTWU)
Records, 1933–1989, 10 ft. and 6 microfilm reels (APAP–017)
Contains the records of the Glove Cities Area Joint Board of the ACTWU, including minutes, 1954–87; subject files, 1941–86; and contracts, 1946–86, and minutes, 1939–87, of affiliated locals. Also contains the records of the New York State Capital District Joint Board: minutes, 1966–72, 1981–83; membership card file, 1933–83; minutes of affiliated locals, 1942–89; and the records of the New York State Capital District Union Label and Service Trades Council, 1960–81. The Glove Cities Area Joint Board of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America (ACWA) was founded in Gloversville, N.Y., in 1954. This Joint Board originally had jurisdiction over the clothing workers' unions in Gloversville, N.Y., Johnstown, N.Y., and nearby villages. These locals were primarily locals of glove and leather goods workers. The Capital District Joint Board of the Shirt, Collar and Pajama Workers of Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America (ACWA) was founded in Troy, N.Y. in 1934 with jurisdiction over locals of clothing workers in Albany, Schenectady, and Rensselaer counties. In 1976 both joint boards were affected by the merger of ACWA with the Textile Workers Union of America (TWUA), which produced the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union (ACTWU). In 1985 the joint boards merged into one, keeping the title Glove Cities Area Joint Board. These records are particularly important for the information contained on labor strife in Fulton County, N.Y., from the 1930s to the 1950s. For related records, see the records of the Hudson Valley Area Joint Board, ACTWU. Records document the decline of textile and leather goods industries in the New York State Capital District in the 1970s and 1980s.

HUTH, GEOF
Papers, 1960-2006, 60.7 cubic ft. + Undetermined GB of Electronic Records (MSS-137)
The collection includes artworks produced by Geof Huth (including poetry, fiction, essays, aphorisms, visual poems, dramatic works, and comics), biographical records, extensive correspondence, records of his various micropresses, weblogs, audiovisual recordings of sound poems and presentations given at professional conferences, and a large collection of small and micropress publications focused on visual and experimental poetry.

INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF ELECTRICAL WORKERS, LOCAL 166
Records, 1909–1911, 1942–1980, 2 microfilm reels (APAP–022)
Contains minutes of regular meetings, 1942–62, 1966–83; minutes of executive board meetings, 1964–85; minutes of meetings with representatives for the employers, 1977–80; and minutes of meetings of District Council 4 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), 1909–11. IBEW Local 166 was chartered on March 20, 1934, as a local with jurisdiction over interior electrical work in Schenectady and its vicinity. Among the shops where Local 166 members work are General Electric in Schenectady, N.Y. and WTEN Channel 10 in Albany, N.Y.

INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF PAINTERS AND ALLIED TRADES OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, LOCAL 201
Records, 1900, 1922–1982, 2 ft. (APAP–052)
Contains records of Local 201 and its predecessor locals: Local 12 (Troy, N.Y.), membership ledgers, 1922–51; Local 62 (Schenectady, N.Y.), minutes, 1936–44, 1965–82; Local 201 (Albany, N.Y.), minutes, 1962–81; and contracts, 1965–82. Local 201 now represents painters in Albany, Schenectady, and Rensselaer counties. Merging the three original locals had been discussed at least since 1979, and in 1982 the merger was completed and resulted in a more centralized and efficient management of the union.

INTERNATIONAL UNION OF BRICKLAYERS AND ALLIED CRAFTSMEN (BAC), LOCAL 16
Records, 1886–1892, 1917–1930, 1953–1986, 3 microfilm reels (APAP–010)
Contains minutes, 1886–92, 1917–30, 1973–86; contracts, 1953–85; and by–laws.  Bricklayers' Local 16 was formed in Schenectady, N.Y. during the summer of 1886.  The union was involved with masonry work in that city, including work at General Electric's Schenectady plant, American Locomotive Company, and Union College. In 1986, the union merged with Bricklayers' Local 6 of Albany, N.Y.

INTERNATIONAL UNION OF ELECTRONIC, ELECTRICAL, SALARIED, MACHINE AND FURNITURE WORKERS (IUE), LOCAL 301
Records, 1949–1989, 7 reels of microfilm, 32 audio and video reels, and 7.4 cubic ft. (APAP–023)
Includes minutes of membership meetings, 1979–85, and of Officer and Executive Board meetings, 1969–85; subject files, including correspondence, press releases, contract negotiations, bulletins, constitutions, and bylaws, 1949–81; audio tapes, 1964–66; photographs, 1971–79; Local 301 News, 1954–89; printed histories, 1968, 1987. As a local of UE (United Electrical, Radio, and Machine Workers of America), Local 301 was one of the first locals to join the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO). However, the CIO expelled the UE in 1949 accusing the union of being Communist–dominated. In 1954 Local 301 joined the IUE, which replaced the UE in the CIO. Local 301 has been a pioneer in the U.S. labor movement, winning an agreement in 1941 providing pay equity for women, and successfully contesting unfair labor practices at General Electric's Schenectady, N.Y. plant in court.

KNOLLS ACTION PROJECT
Records, 1978–1994, 24.25 cubic ft. (APAP–105)

The Knolls Action Project based in Albany, New York grew out of the Blue Karner Affinity Group that was formed by local activists to participate in anti-nuclear protests at the Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant in New Hampshire in 1978. The group decided to focus on the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory (KAPL), a General Electric facility that conducted research and training on nuclear propulsion systems for the United States Navy. The KAPL site located in Niskayuna, N.Y. designed propulsion systems for the nuclear navy, including the Trident submarine system. The West Milton, N.Y. KAPL facility (or Kesselring site) was where naval crews trained to operate the Trident and other nuclear submarines. These records document the activities and interests of KAP from 1978 to 1994. Some of the information pre-dates the founding of the organization, but was obtained by members of KAP for research or informational purposes. The collection is comprehensive, and contains meeting minutes, newsletters, leaflets, clippings, reports, books and publications, audiovisuals, and peace-related memorabilia.

KUYKENDALL, MARY
Papers, 1920s–1970, .2 cubic ft. (APAP–169)
The collection documents workers at General Electric and the city of Schenectady. The material includes a pamphlet for the General Electric alumni association, a book about the Steinmetz family, and other material about General Electric.

LABORERS' INTERNATIONAL UNION OF NORTH AMERICA, LOCAL 157 (APAP–076)
Records, 1912–1914, 1937–1972, .4 cubic ft.
The Laborers' International Union of North America, Local 157 records primarily document the union's activities for the period 1937–1972 through correspondence and meeting minutes. The records provide an account of routine operations by Local 157 including negotiations with employers, grievances, elections, as well as financial and membership records. The union's early members were predominantly Italian American, which means the membership lists of 1912–1914 are in Italian. The correspondence includes material specific to Local 157 as well as items from the national office having to do with legislation and other national issues. Included with the correspondence and meeting minutes are sporadic membership and officer lists.

LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF SCHENECTADY COUNTY
Records, 1925–2004, 10 cubic ft. (APAP–210)

On April 30, 1925, Mrs. Charles Richmond, wife of the president of Union College, invited approximately fifty women to her home for a talk by Mrs. F.W. Slade, chairman of the New York State League of Women Voters. After Slade's talk, the women at the meeting decided to elect officers and adopt by-laws thereby forming the Schenectady County League of Women Voters (later renamed League of Women Voters, Schenectady County). The collection contains information about the history and activities of the League from 1925 to the present. The collection includes meeting minutes and agendas, annual reports, newsletters, scrapbooks, publications, and subject files.

NAACP, SCHENECTADY BRANCH
Records, 1949–1982, 4 reels of microfilm (APAP–028)

Records include Executive Committee minutes, 1949–1982 (missing December 1959–January 1963); membership meeting minutes, 1949–1980 (missing January 1963–1972, 1973 [only one meeting found], 1974, October 1975–April 1976); membership lists, 1949–1980; correspondence, 1949–1980; financial records, 1949–1979 (missing 1960–1962, 1966–1976). The Schenectady, NY Branch of the NAACP was founded in 1949 by an interracial group of men and women committed to the task of improving the status of African Americans in the area. Records document their concerns for discrimination in housing and employment and for the recruitment of black professionals from colleges and universities to the area. The role of women in the NAACP, Schenectady Branch, can be found in the records, and in 1959, the Branch's first female president, Malinda Myers, was elected. The records also show the Branch's involvement with area social service providers, labor unions, and other community organizations, as well as with General Electric, as the area's major employer.

NEWSPAPER GUILD OF ALBANY, NEW YORK, LOCAL 34
Records, 1936–1989, 3 ft. (APAP–005)
Contains executive board and membership minutes, 1936–87; unit minutes, 1942–87;  bulletins, 1936–84; contracts, 1937–89; and organizing and litigation files, 1935–88.  The Newspaper Guild of Albany, N.Y.,  Local 34 was chartered on March 20, 1934, as the Tri–City Newspaper Guild of Albany, Schenectady, and Troy, N.Y.  as well as nearby cities.  In 1937, the guild won its first agreement and the first Newspaper Guild agreement in upstate New York when it signed a contract with the Albany Times Union. The Albany Guild's last strike in 1964 formed the basis for The Ink Truck, the first published novel of William Kennedy, who was one of the strikers. The local began as a union of reporters and editors, but over the years other newspaper occupations have been organized as the guild has subsumed independent unions. Currently, janitors and drivers, as well as employees from the business office and sales and circulation departments are represented by the guild.  Although the guild has confined most of its activities to the tri–cities, it has opened offices in Hudson and Glens Falls, N.Y.

PAPISH, NANCY
Papers, 1963-1998, 5.2 cubic ft. (APAP-144)

The papers of Nancy Papish document her involvement with Clearwater, North River Friends of Clearwater (NRFC), and the campaign to stop Hydro-Quebec's development plan for James Bay. These papers document the environmental activism of Nancy Papish from the 1970s through the 1990s. Included are meeting minutes, notes, mailings, press releases, news clippings, magazine articles, programs, and publications. The Clearwater files contain near-complete runs of newsletters produced by both NRFC and the parent Clearwater organization. Evidence of NRFC's outreach activities is found in a slide show titled "This Is Clearwater" and numerous poster displays. Documentation of Clearwater's organization and administration, such as meeting minutes, internal reports, and committee files, are almost entirely absent. There is little information about the membership of Clearwater. The James Bay files contain materials from several organizations.

QUIRINI, HELEN
Papers, 1941–1998, 50.89 cubic ft. (APAP-102)
A portion of the finding aid is now available documenting Quirini's work at General Electric (GE) in Schenectady, her involvement with UE and IUE Local 301 the union at the GE plant, and her work with community organizations in Schenectady.

SCHAEFER, VINCENT, physicist, environmentalist
Papers, 1891–1979, 100 ft. (UA-902.010)

Papers relating to Schaefer's career at the General Electric Laboratories in Schenectady, New York; the Munitalb Foundation, Inc.; and at the University at Albany, State University of New York and its Atmospheric Sciences Research Center, including correspondence, diary, laboratory records, films, offprints, reports on environmental projects, and other materials, 1922–1979. Correspondents include Rachel Carson, Arthur Parker, P. Van Epps, and Irving Langmuir. Schaefer was a pioneer in the field of atmospheric science and a prominent New York environmentalist concerned with the Adirondack Mountains and other regional issues.

SCHEIN, DONALD
Papers, 1954–1987, 40 cubic ft. (APAP–209)
Born in Leavenworth, Kansas, Schein was a pioneer in the development of educational television and radio in New York State. During graduate study at Boston University, he became active in fundraising to help establish Boston's educational television station, WGBH and served on the Massachusetts Citizens Committee on Educational Television. In 1955, Schein came to Schenectady and served as associate producer and first president of the Mohawk-Hudson Council on Educational Television, where he produced instructional programs for in-school use broadcast over WRGB-TV. Schein led the effort to launch the second public television station in New York State, Schenectady's WMHT in 1962, and was executive director and later general manager. He was instrumental in the addition of the all classical music radio station WMHT-FM in 1972 and the Radio Information Service (RISE), a radio reading service for the blind and print handicapped in 1978. He retired in 1986 as general manager, after concluding negotiations for the acquisition of Channel 45, WMHQ. The collection contains newsletters, programs and schedules, meeting minutes, photographs, and Schein's files as president of Mohawk-Hudson Council on Educational Television, and files as executive director and general manager of WMHT.

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. AREA CENTRAL LABOR COUNCIL, AFL–CIO
Records, 1921–1988, 2 microfilm reels (APAP–034)
Includes records of the Schenectady Area Central Labor Council and of its predecessor organizations: Schenectady Federation of Labor, AFL; Schenectady Area Industrial Union Council, CIO; and Schenectady Trades Assembly, AFL.  Also includes minutes and general files of the Schenectady Trades Assembly, 1928–32; correspondence of the Schenectady Trades Assembly, 1921–23, 1944–49; charters of the Schenectady Federation of Labor, 1941, and the Schenectady Area Central Labor Council, 1959; printed constitutions of the Schenectady Area Industrial Union Council, 1952, and Schenectady Federation of Labor, 1955; and general files, which include meeting minutes, of the Schenectady Area Central Labor Council, 1970–86.  The Schenectady Trades Assembly was chartered on July 25, 1898, and was replaced in 1941 by the Schenectady Federation of Labor.  In the late 1950s, the Schenectady Federation of Labor, AFL, and the Schenectady Area Industrial Union Council, CIO, merged to form the Schenectady Area Central Labor Council, AFL–CIO.  This council is a delegate organization composed of union locals from the Schenectady area.

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION TRADES COUNCIL
Minutes, 1960–1961, 1966–1978, 1 microfilm reel (APAP–033)
The Schenectady Building and Construction Trades Council was a delegate organization of labor union locals representing those trades.  In 1978, the Schenectady Council joined with its counterparts in Albany and Troy, N.Y. to form the Tri–Cities Building and Construction Trades Council.

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. FEDERATION OF TEACHERS, NYSUT/AFT, LOCAL 803
Records, 1918–1989, 6 microfilm reels (APAP–036)
Includes minutes, 1944–89; newsletters, 1956–89; general files, which contain newsletters and correspondence, 1944–53, 1975; president's files similar to the general files, 1944–55; and contracts, 1967–80.  Also contains the records of the predecessor City Teachers Association of Schenectady, including the minutes of the regular and special meetings, 1918–34, and of the Delegate Assembly of the Department of Public Instruction of Schenectady, 1928–31; general files, 1937–53; and newspaper clippings, 1933.  The City Teachers Association of Schenectady was founded in 1918 to promote standards of professionalism in teaching.  From 1941 to 1944, teachers (alone among city employees) were not granted cost of living adjustments.  The association, however, was unsuccessful in convincing the Common Council to award these adjustments, so the teachers decided to form a union, the Schenectady Federation of Teachers, chartered in 1944.  Local 803  went on strike in 1975 in violation of the NYS Taylor Law. The local is affiliated with New York State United Teachers, American Federation of Teachers.

SCHENECTADY LABOR TEMPLE ASSOCIATION
Records, 1912–1967, 1976–1977, .8 cubic ft. (APAP–035)
The Schenectady Labor Temple Association was incorporated in 1907 and has been primarily interested in first the erection and then the management of the Schenectady Labor Temple. The Association has also been involved in promoting labor interests in Schenectady, New York, most obviously through the publication of an annual labor and business directory. The collection also contains minutes of meetings, 1912–1958; yearbooks, 1931–67; and by–laws, 1940s, 1960s. The Schenectady Labor Temple was designed by Schenectady architect R. L. Bowen and completed in 1927 on the corner of Clinton and Liberty Streets.

SHEET METAL WORKERS INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION, LOCAL 83
Records, 1892–1989 (APAP–047)

Includes minutes of meetings, 1892–1989; committee records, 1931–82; files on jurisdictional disputes with other building and construction trades unions, 1952–77; NLRB case file on the 1965 lockout, 1965–69; and dues ledgers, 1892–1980.  Local 83 was organized in 1892 as an affiliate of the Tin, Sheet Iron and Cornice Workers' International Association, which itself was organized only four years previously.  The depression of 1893 weakened the fledgling international, and its AFL charter was revoked in 1896, but Local 83 continued through these hard times.  In 1899 the international union was rechartered as the Amalgamated Sheet–Metal Workers' International Association.  In 1903 this international merged with the Sheet Metal Workers National Alliance, creating the Amalgamated Sheet Metal Workers' International Alliance, which in 1924 granted Local 83 a charter with jurisdiction over Saratoga, Albany, and Rensselaer counties of New York.  The jurisdiction of Local 83 has since expanded to include twelve counties in the New York State Capital Region.

SOCIETY FOR THE PRESERVATION OF WATER RESOURCES
Records, 1918-1999, 12.46 cubic ft. (APAP–061)
The bulk of the records of the Society for the Preservation of Water Resources consist of files on the major projects the society undertook, such as the Wilmorite project, the Bonded Concrete project, and the water supply applications of the city of Schenectady and the town of Rotterdam (1982-1985). As most of these projects concerned legal questions, the files consist primarily of legal papers not produced by SPWR, but many include notes by SPWR. The records for each of these projects form a complete record of the legal proceedings for each project including testimony by expert witnesses for SPWR. However, little information about the SPWR's strategies can be gleaned from this material. For instance, the records provide little evidence that the society was interested in the Broadway Mall project (1960, 1980-1981) because they thought the site for the Broadway Mall might be a possible alternate site for Wilmorite's Rotterdam Square Mall.

SOLIDARITY COMMITTEE OF THE CAPITAL DISTRICT
Records, 1980–2000, 10.0 ft. (APAP–042)
Contains minutes and administrative files, 1983–99; subject files, 1980–90; Solidarity Notes, the committee's newsletter, 1984–97; and photographs. During the 1983 Greyhound strike by the Amalgamated Transit Union, a coalition of labor unions was formed under the name the Greyhound Strikers Solidarity Committee of the Capital District.  At the end of this strike, the committee, believing that solidarity within the labor movement was essential to its survival, decided to continue as the Solidarity Committee of the Capital District.  Since that time, the committee has worked to support hundreds of strikes and labor activities, most of them in Eastern New York, but including many across the country and in Latin America.

SWEENEY, DOROTHY
Papers, .5 cubic ft. (MSS-135)
Dorothy (nee Langley) Sweeney graduated from St. Mary's Institute in Amsterdam, New York in 1941. After graduation Sweeney accepted an office position at General Electric in Schenectady. In her off hours she spent time at WGY, GE's AM radio station, where her brother Edward Langley acted and wrote for the station's dramatic productions. Sweeney provided sound effects for several programs and her scripts from this work form the bulk of this collection.

TEACHER EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT SERVICE
Records, 1971–1977, 4 cubic ft., 4 audiotapes, 4 filmstrips (UA–658)
This collection documents the organization, evolution, scope, thinking, research, activities, and programs of the Teacher Education Development Service. Of particular interest in this collection are four audiotapes and four filmstrips, which provide an audiovisual overview of CBTE. Topics which are extensively documented in this collection include: the certification program of speech, language and hearing specialists; conferences; Community Legal Education Project; course materials; dissertation abstracts; a doctoral dissertation; the Mutual Involvement Review Activity; Skidmore College Proposal; Teacher Education Certification Consortium; team leader evaluation of interns; Teacher Corps Programs; and the Youth Tutoring Youth program.

UNITED ASSOCIATION OF JOURNEYMEN AND APPRENTICES OF THE PLUMBING AND PIPE FITTING INDUSTRY OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, LOCAL 105
Records, 1893–1989, 1.25 ft. (APAP–053)
Includes minutes, 1893–1989; contracts, 1929–89; and by–laws, 1976–87.  Also includes the records of Local 253: minutes, 1949–72; contracts, 1959–70; and by–laws, 1966. Local 105 was organized in 1893 with jurisdiction over plumbing and pipe fitting work in Schenectady County, NY. The local has had a typical history for a labor union, marked by occasional strikes, periodic struggles to survive economic downturns, and the widening of its geographic jurisdiction. Local 376 of Amsterdam, NY merged into Local 105 in 1962, and Local 253 followed suit in 1972.

WEMPLE, ARCHIBALD C.
Scrapbook, 1951, 1 vol. (APAP–092)

Scrapbook kept by Wemple as the successful Republican candidate for mayor of Schenectady, New York in 1951. In addition to news clippings, there are typescript speeches, notes on platform planks, a campaign letter, and election statistics.

WILLISON, MALCOLM
Papers, 1958–1997, 14.9 cubic ft. (APAP–055)

This collection details the social activism of Malcolm Willison in New York State's Capital Region. As an active board member of several local groups, his papers contain minutes, financial statements and budgets, programming ideas, brochures, planning notes, articles and reports, and clippings that detail the evolution of the various organizations contained in the collection. Organizational newsletters and event flyers, course and conference information planned by Willison in his capacity on executive boards, and vast amounts of correspondence about any number of events and issues are also part of the scope of the collection.

WISE, GEORGE
Papers, ca. 1989, .17 cubic ft. (APAP–095)
The collection is composed solely of General Electric's Century: A History of General Electric from its Origins to 1986, an unpublished manuscript. The manuscript will be helpful to researchers seeking background information about General Electric, which was founded in Schenectady, New York. The manuscript's chapter titles include: "The Old General Electric and the New GE;" "Edison and General Electric;" "Shoemakers;" "Schenectady, Strikes and Socialists;" "Virtous Cycles;" "Progressivism to Prgoress;" "How the Robots Didn't Devour Schenectady;" "Plastic Edicson;" and "Second Century."

WITTNER, LAWRENCE
Papers, 1977–1999, 3 cubic ft. (APAP–100)

The Wittner Collection is a personal and organizational history of the Albany Chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America, the United University Professions (UUP) Solidarity Committee, and other activist groups in the Capital Region of New York State. The Albany Chapter of Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) records (1980–1987) and the United University Professions (UUP) Solidarity Committee (1986–1999) records are primarily made up of meeting minutes, agendas, plans of action, flyers, financial statements, correspondence, photographs and other documents that provide information about the inner workings of these organizations and issues that they were working on. The records also include issues of The Albany Anvil, the DSA's monthly newsletter, from May 1981 to December 1986 and documentation of UUP's support of labor struggles in the Capital District from 1986 to 1999. There is some information on Dr. Wittner's participation in other area groups such as the Labor–Religion Coalition and the Anti–Nuclear Alliance as well as work on the Leon Van Dyke, Ed Bloch and Nancy Burton political campaigns in the 1980s. The collection also contains twelve photographs of Dr. Wittner and some members of the DSA spanning from 1980–1985. Included are photos of demonstrations that took place under the auspices of these various groups and photos of an annual Eugene V. Debs Awards Dinner.

WMHT
Records, 1962-2004, 126 cubic ft. (APAP-211)
In 1953, the Mohawk-Hudson Council on Educational Television was chartered by the New York State Board of Regents as the licensee of WMHT Public Television Station and Public Radio. It was the first charter granted in New York State for an educational television council. Initial Programming was broadcast on WRGB, and later on WRTI and WROW-TV. The Council's first headquarters was a single room in Schenectady's Riverside School. In 1955, WMHT hired Donald Schein as associate producer and he led the effort for regular broadcasting that began in 1962, as Schein was elevated to general manager. An all- classical music radio station WMHT-FM began in 1972 and the Radio Information Service (RISE), a radio reading service for the blind and print handicapped in 1978. Prior to Schein's retirement in 1986, he concluded negotiations for the acquisition of Channel 45 (now WMHQ). Today, WMHT Educational Telecommunications, located in Troy, NY, is the only full-service public broadcaster serving Eastern New York and Western New England. The collection consists of program schedules, publications, administrative files, production files, subject files, slides, and photographs.


Reference E-mail | Find Collections | Find Other Historical Resources
About the Department | Department Services and Policies
View Exhibits | View Blog
Department Home Page

Last updated January 25, 2007

Valid XHTML 1.0!