GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR CARRELS AND LOCKERS
All notifications regarding study carrel or locker use and expiration of assignment will be placed in the carrel or locker and be sent via e-mail. Notification of assignment will be made by e-mail only. Registration and renewal forms are handled only via this website.
- Library books kept in study carrels and lockers must be charged out at the Circulation Desk. Study carrels and lockers are checked on a regular basis. If uncharged library material is found in the study carrel or locker, it will be removed. Repeated storage of uncharged library material in study carrels or lockers will result in the termination of the carrel or locker assignment.
- An individual may not simultaneously hold both a study carrel and locker assignment.
- The University Library is not responsible for any personal property that is stored in study carrels or lockers. The library notifies patrons to remove their belongings via e-mail and notes placed in lockers/carrels beginning 3 months prior to the assignment expiration date.
- As a courtesy to others, if you no longer need your study carrel or locker, notify us so that someone else may use it.
- All assignments expire on JUNE 30th of each year.
Disregard for any of these rules will result in the termination of the study carrel or locker assignment.
For further information/assistance, please contact:
University Library 119
Library Lockers and Carrels
Extended Hours Coordinator
The University Library provides closed study carrels for use by University at Albany doctoral candidates, with priority given to persons conducting dissertation research. Only University at Albany graduate students may hold carrel assignments.
Because carrel space is not adequate to meet the requests of the University community, access to these facilities are for a limited time period. If there are carrel spots remaining after the beginning of the academic year, Masters candidates are eligible to apply on a case-by-case basis. Speak with a Circulation staff member for further details, or call 442-3569.
- Carrels are assigned on an annual basis. All carrel assignments expire JUNE 30th each year. Upon assignment, individuals are eligible for a one year renewal. Renewals are not automatically granted. Any individual may only hold an assignment for two (2) academic years at most.
- Keys must be picked up and signed for at the Circulation Desk. A University at Albany ID card must be presented to pick up your assignment.
- Carrels are assigned on a first come, first serve basis.
- Two people are assigned to each of the 56 locked study carrels.
- Carrels may not be used as alternate office space. Student conferences, meetings and class assignments should be handled through departmental facilities.
- Carrel windows can not be covered over.
- Carrel furniture must remain inside the carrel.
- Food and/or smoking is not allowed in the library or in the study carrels. Beverages must be in spill-proof or recloseable containers. If food is found by library staff, it will be disposed of.
- Carrel assignees should not loan their key to persons who are not assigned to the carrel.
When a carrel assignee completes his/her work or is not reassigned to a study carrel, he/she must return the carrel key to the Library Circulation Desk.. Otherwise, the assignee will be billed $10.00 for the unreturned key, and a hold will be placed on Library and Registrar records.
Lockers provide a secure storage place for personal materials and are assigned to both graduate and undergraduate students. Only University at Albany students who are currently registered with the University are eligible for lockers.
- Because there is a limited number of lockers available, locker assignments are for a limited time period.
- Lockers are assigned on an annual basis. All locker assignments expire JUNE 30th each year. Upon assignment, individuals are eligible for a one year renewal. Renewals are not automatically granted.
- Lockers are assigned on a first come, first serve basis.
- One person to a locker.
- Combinations must be picked up and signed for at the Circulation Desk. A University at Albany ID card must be presented to pick up your assignment.